After 35 years, CBS Sports is changing its logo

Raymie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new logo is pretty clean, just the CBS eye and a nondescript standard font. It's pretty inoffensive on its own merits.

But the loss of a distinctive wordmark is very unfortunate.

I think we will miss it, but I do understand why it's being ditched. It doesn't translate that well to modern applications or, more worryingly, to brand extensions, like the CBS Sports Network logo.

Out of curiosity were they the first network to have a scoreboard graphic on the telecast?

Fox started it in 1994 when they started airing NFL games. I think CBS started doing it in 1998.

That's true FOX was the first but CBS actually had the score bug in 1996

here's what Armin had to say about it on BrandNew

Even though it's only a programming block within CBS, the CBS Sports logo has quite a lot of equity as it gets emblazoned on all broadcasts and can be relived in many classic matches — like this Lakers-Celtics 1987 game. It's hard to believe the thing comes from 1981… actually, not really. It looks fairly dated. The new logo drops the slabs, italics, and pretty much any other visual cue that might signify sports in favor of a more news-y logo. The subject CBS Sports covers is already sporty enough so maybe there is no need to add sugar on top of sugar but there is nothing memorable or iconic about this new logo. Nonetheless, it's competent and will probably have some snazzy graphics around it to liven it up a little.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I can just tell by the new logo that their new graphics package will be similar to FOX and NBC.

Yeah you're probably right about this. if they didn't say new graphics, I would have thought they would just work in the Thursday Night package.

packchampionslfroh.png

I can just tell by the new logo that their new graphics package will be similar to FOX and NBC.

Yeah you're probably right about this. if they didn't say new graphics, I would have thought they would just work in the Thursday Night package.

I wonder if they will install the helmet logos instead of the team logo on a color background with the city abbreviations on the right like fox did on their scorebugs and graphics package...i hope they stick with the bar

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Although the logo itself is a downgrade, I will say that the classic CBS Sports logo has looked out of place for about 9 years now since they broke out that graphics package in 2006 with the current NFL on CBS logo.

It's not spectacular but it's not bad it's alright but they could of added the underline underneath cbs sports font to create an evolutionary cbs sports logo or go to block letter font for the cbs sports text...imo I don't mind a fresh change but the graphics package or any theme song evolution better be kick-arse

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

this typeface and containing shape doesn't need to be more than what it is, and what it is will translate to web, TV, and mobile very well. i have to say it is long overdue for such and upgrade - things have moved along very fast over 35 years and CBS is just now catching up. the iconic eye (designed by legendary designer Paul Rand) stays and will always be the "beacon" of CBS.

This is a good point and something that I've mentioned about most new logos in the past few years. Logos now have to be responsive; they need to scale for mobile (small screens), computer displays and televisions (large screens). This is why many newer logos are relatively simple. The fewer elements going on, the easier the logo is to convey at various sizes and get the point across.

All of the simple is better may be true but the logo still is a massive downgrade.... Its boring just like the new verizon logo.... I am not a fan.... It really does not matter if I can easily read something if the logo has no visible interest... If it is something that catches my eye I will take notice....

Out of curiosity were they the first network to have a scoreboard graphic on the telecast?

Fox started it in 1994 when they started airing NFL games. I think CBS started doing it in 1998.

That's true FOX was the first but CBS actually had the score bug in 1996

It was called the "FoxBox" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxBox_(sports). I thought I saw something similar on the early ESPN2 broadcasts, but it didn't become a regular feature until Fox Sports started using it.

It was a feature in most sports video games, and they adapted it to live broadcasts.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

All of the simple is better may be true but the logo still is a massive downgrade.... Its boring just like the new verizon logo.... I am not a fan.... It really does not matter if I can easily read something if the logo as no visible interest... If it is something that catches my eye I will take notice....

thats not how this logo will work. this about where you will see it. in the corner of the website, the watermark on TV, the microphones of the announcers . . . it's not meant to capture your attention and make you want to have it on a t-shirt, its meant to tell you directly what you're looking at while "living" in expected places. you dont have to go searching for it on the screen

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 1 month later...

Since it'll be effective (along with new NFL graphics) for Super Bowl 50, I'm hoping a new theme song comes as a result...hopefully a reworking of the '92-'02 Frankie Vinci version?

bYhYmxh.png

Archived