Unused 90's Cardinals Jersey?

C-Squared

I came across this Garrison Hearst Pro Line jersey on eBay:

24w8tbl.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrison-Hearst-23-Arizona-Cardinals-NFL-Pro-Line-Russell-Jersey-40-SM-NEW-/361430337744?hash=item5426ed48d0:g:YucAAOSwLzdWSdDD

Did the team ever wear a jersey with tv numbers, the team logo, and the state flag striping? Imagine Nike being asked to cram all that onto their current templates :shocked:

That was one of the few examples where the white road jersey looked better than the home version. Numbers on the borders, sleeve stripes/flag logo, team logo, TV numbers on the shoulders...all were missing from the red jersey, which was just plain red with white numbers (no borders), no sleeve stripes, and TV numbers on sleeves instead of shoulders.

That jersey was excessive as hell, and I loved it. It was a major downgrade when they dropped black for blue, shrunk all the striping, and dropped the number outlines.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I came across this Garrison Hearst Pro Line jersey on eBay:

24w8tbl.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrison-Hearst-23-Arizona-Cardinals-NFL-Pro-Line-Russell-Jersey-40-SM-NEW-/361430337744?hash=item5426ed48d0:g:YucAAOSwLzdWSdDD

Did the team ever wear a jersey with tv numbers, the team logo, and the state flag striping? Imagine Nike being asked to cram all that onto their current templates :shocked:

If they did they could pull it off only if they dropped the team logo.

I like how there's such contrast between the busyness of the road uniform and the austerity of the home. I wonder if they could pull off some kind of contrast like that with modern jersey trends, where the home stays traditional and the road gets crazy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Phoenix Cardinals always fascinated me. Their stadium looked cool, they were divisionally wedged in with Dallas & the northeast beasts, & their unis were fine.

Oh well, I like Arizona better, & they're playing in a division more their taste, yet their unis have def suffered. They're to the NFL as the Penguins' are to the NHL.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I like how there's such contrast between the busyness of the road uniform and the austerity of the home. I wonder if they could pull off some kind of contrast like that with modern jersey trends, where the home stays traditional and the road gets crazy.

Interesting point. I liked both Cards jerseys and the different tones they exhibited as well.

But I cannot imagine, say, the 1990s "austerity" jersey matched with their current road jersey. Or the 1980s red Falcons with their current white jersey.

As for the original photo, when I was a kid I loved the St.L cards version of this. But I HATED the addition of the AZ flag...it covered up a huge chunk of the stripe and added colors that did not belong.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I had the Swann "98" many years ago. I gave that one to my oldest Nephew a few years ago. He still has it and it's in great shape, unlike a Road cards jersey of the aforementioned thin blue and red striping and smaller AZ flag. The jersey is in great shape, as well as the 100 annv patch and numbers, but the sleeve striping has almost completely faded away.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Phoenix Cardinals always fascinated me. Their stadium looked cool, they were divisionally wedged in with Dallas & the northeast beasts, & their unis were fine.

Oh well, I like Arizona better, & they're playing in a division more their taste, yet their unis have def suffered. They're to the NFL as the Penguins' are to the NHL.

Well, them being in the same division as Dallas was a holdover from their St. Louis days. Interestingly enough, when the NFL realigned in 2002, the Cardinals wanted to stay in the NFC East to keep their rivalry with the Cowboys, even though it geographically made little sense.

As for the name change, I support it. As I've noted elsewhere, when a state has only one pro team from any particular league, I think a state-based name is entirely appropriate. Which is why I'm fine with the Coyotes now being the AZ Coyotes.

Well, them being in the same division as Dallas was a holdover from their St. Louis days. Interestingly enough, when the NFL realigned in 2002, the Cardinals wanted to stay in the NFC East to keep their rivalry with the Cowboys, even though it geographically made little sense.

As for the name change, I support it. As I've noted elsewhere, when a state has only one pro team from any particular league, I think a state-based name is entirely appropriate. Which is why I'm fine with the Coyotes now being the AZ Coyotes.

Arizona vs Dallas actually makes sense geographically. But I can see why they didn't want them both in the East

Interesting point. I liked both Cards jerseys and the different tones they exhibited as well.

But I cannot imagine, say, the 1990s "austerity" jersey matched with their current road jersey. Or the 1980s red Falcons with their current white jersey.

No, the current road jerseys wouldn't work (I don't know what the 1980s Falcons have to do with anything). But I think the same principle of having room to experiment and look more "Arizonan" on the road could work, while they just dress as a plain old football team in front of their home fans who get enough Arizona just living every day.

In spite of the call for the traditional plain red uniform, I think it's time for a red facemask.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It was time for a red facemask when they introduced the new set. The Cards did great work in updating the logo, then tripped all over themselves with the rest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Arizona vs Dallas actually makes sense geographically. But I can see why they didn't want them both in the East

I think it was more a sense of the Cardinals being the odd man out. They had to move from 5 teams to 4, and which other team would get booted out? Couldn't have been New York, Washington or Philadelphia. Came down to Arizona or Dallas, which is an easy choice.

Archived