2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

I'm guessing Brian is regretting his no midweek summer races.  Last night's replay of the 2001 July Daytona race KILLED.  The live tweets made it awesome.  He doesn't think outside the box.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/29/2016 at 1:02 PM, AstroBull21 said:

- A rotational all-star race would be nice.  I could see Charlotte & Daytona maybe as strong options, with Bristol or Richmond in there for a short track.  Maybe somewhere out west like Vegas or California to round out a foursome.

- It's too bad that most courses are owned by two companies, because that causes issues for Chase dates.  COA in Austin would be nice for a Chase road course, but maybe somewhere up north like Road America or Mid Ohio could be considered since NASCAR has relationships there.

- Weekday races are a hard no.  Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons are best.

Midweek SUMMER races on tv would be a ratings goldmine.  There's NOTHING on, except for reality tv on the networks! 

16 hours ago, Needschat said:

I'm guessing Brian is regretting his no midweek summer races.  Last night's replay of the 2001 July Daytona race KILLED.  The live tweets made it awesome.  He doesn't think outside the box.  

Check those ratngs for Wednesday, buddy.

You are naïve.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-29-2016.

Back in the 80's, even Colin Hay knew what a summer midweek race is...

Plus, it would add two weeks onto an already long season because Mother's and Father's Day Sundays are off limits.

As for sponsors, know that while Camping World has a contract for a few years, he is not happy with Brian France.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/104251640-story

Marcus Lemonis is ready to leave the truck series as he bought naming rights to the former Citrus Bowl.

19 minutes ago, Needschat said:

Yeah, no.  With far too many platforms available, that's not a good enough excuse any longer.

You are still naïve.

A Wednesday night race in July or Aigust from Kentucky is far from a "ratings goldmine" which you project.

It would get crushed by something like the LLWS.

And as I said before, you extend the already too long season by at least another week.

Also, remember that most track day workers are volunteers whose groyp/association gets a donation from the race sales and proceeds. Staffing the track is another part of the logistics.

When I was reading about the new Camaro I noticed something about the article that was written...

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-sprint-cup-series-xfinity-camaro-ss-revealed-063016

General Motors officials won't say what car Chevrolet will field in the Cup Series next year

Now, as much as I would love to see the Impala back, I think it'll be the Malibu

baltimoreravens.png

4 hours ago, Needschat said:

Yeah, no.  With far too many platforms available, that's not a good enough excuse any longer.

Ok, how are people going to get to a mid-week race after work? Races are all day things, and they take time to get to, and with it almost surely being a night race how are fans suppose to get home at a reasonable hour for work the next day. Races have to be on weekends so fans from a larger radius can go to the race track. On a regular race weekend the average fan isn't going to travel more than probably 100 miles to see a race (I've done this myself a few times and it sucked). For a mid week race the average fan is probably not going to travel much further than 50 or less miles to go to the track. With race attendance already down, Nascar doesn't want it getting any worse, for a maybe marginal increase in TV ratings.

23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

You are still naïve.

A Wednesday night race in July or Aigust from Kentucky is far from a "ratings goldmine" which you project.

It would get crushed by something like the LLWS.

And as I said before, you extend the already too long season by at least another week.

Also, remember that most track day workers are volunteers whose groyp/association gets a donation from the race sales and proceeds. Staffing the track is another part of the logistics.

In July?  In August?

Ask the drivers.  Dale Earnhardt Jr and Brad Keselowski are on record for Wednesday night races.  

Special events at small tracks across the country are run midweek, and those staffers are more financially strapped than ISC and SMI "volunteers."

42 minutes ago, Needschat said:

In July?  In August?

Ask the drivers.  Dale Earnhardt Jr and Brad Keselowski are on record for Wednesday night races.  

Special events at small tracks across the country are run midweek, and those staffers are more financially strapped than ISC and SMI "volunteers."

Emphasis on "small".

When you scale it up, it doesn't equalize. Availability lessens, as does the live gate.

"dont care" also brought up the logistical issue regarding traffic.

If they want a summer midweek night race, their best option is to use the Daytona road course.

And viewers still won't watch en masse.

21 hours ago, dont care said:

Ok, how are people going to get to a mid-week race after work? Races are all day things, and they take time to get to, and with it almost surely being a night race how are fans suppose to get home at a reasonable hour for work the next day. Races have to be on weekends so fans from a larger radius can go to the race track. On a regular race weekend the average fan isn't going to travel more than probably 100 miles to see a race (I've done this myself a few times and it sucked). For a mid week race the average fan is probably not going to travel much further than 50 or less miles to go to the track. With race attendance already down, Nascar doesn't want it getting any worse, for a maybe marginal increase in TV ratings.

So how do people get to midweek football or baseball games? How do people get to midweek concerts? Most people either go after work, take a half-day, or take a day off. If people want to go, they will go.

Now, the ratings, that's a whole different thing. I don't believe in ratings as it's just pure b.s. and as someone who participated in the Nielson ratings years ago when you had to write down what you watch, it's just pure b.s. and you could tell them anything. Now with DVR's and 50 million channels, to me ratings don't mean diddly squat and is an old antiquated system that needs to be either thrown out or really tweaked.

Results from Daytona:

1. Keselowski

2. Kyle Busch

3. Bayne

4. Logano

5. Stenhouse Jr.

6. Larson

7. Dillon

8. Biffle

9. Bowyer

10.McDowell

The big one took out half the field, Kes, Logano & Kyle had some good cars. Kes finally gets a Daytona win & this is Penske's 100 Sprint Cup victory.

Next up, Kentucky

baltimoreravens.png

Results from Kentucky:

1. Keselowski

2. Edwards

3. Newman

4. Ku. Busch

5. Stewart

6. Biddle

7. McMurray 

8. Kenseth

9. Harvick

10. Truex Jr. 

Keselowski Wins his second race in a row and series-high 4th of the year after Harvick dominated the first half of the race. Fuel mileage won the race as Keselowski thought he was out but kicked it back in with half a lap to go to hold off Edwards. Good run by Biffle & McMurray. Hendrick's tough luck continues while Logano wrecked out early on. 

Up next: New Hampshire. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

BREAKING NEWS: Dale Earnhardt Jr. will sit out of this weekend's race at New Hampshire after suffering from concussion-like symptoms. After believing it was a sinus infection, the meds he took weren't helping. A visit with the neurologist led to the doctor suggesting he sit out this weekend's race.

Alex Bowman will be the replacement driver.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Dale Jr has had his shares of concussion problems in the past. I remember a few years ago, he had to sit out 3-4 races because of concussion symptoms. He himself even stated that if he had been in one more accident in a short period of time, it may have ended his life because of the swelling and damage.

I hate to say it, but he may be the first NASCAR driver to be forced to retire due to concussions.

Holy Shiznit: IF Dale Jr is unable to race at Indianapolis, Jeff Gordon says he will fill in for him:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/breaking-jeff-gordon-to-drive-at-indy-if-dale-earnhardt-jr-still-sidelined-071516

As much as I want to see Jr. Come back next week, it'd be awesome to see Jeff back in a race car. 

14 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Dale Jr has had his shares of concussion problems in the past. I remember a few years ago, he had to sit out 3-4 races because of concussion symptoms. He himself even stated that if he had been in one more accident in a short period of time, it may have ended his life because of the swelling and damage.

I hate to say it, but he may be the first NASCAR driver to be forced to retire due to concussions.

That was in 2012 after Tony Stewart (who complains about people blocking him) blocked Mikey [Waltrip] and triggered that huge last-lap crash at Talladega. Junior got knocked around pretty bad and Regan Smith filled in for him that time.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived