2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

2 hours ago, Needschat said:

As of right now, it's Alex Bowman in the 88 if Dale Jr can't race, and be there to finish up if Junior can't finish.

As for Kyle calling Brad dirty, it's your typical Kettle-Pot situation.  And it's funny.  That was just racing, Kyle was NOT clear,  

Yea Kyle tried running Brad into the wall expecting Brad to just give him the position. That was kyles fault all the way, you can get away with that earlier in the race but with a handful to go you cant

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 48 laps, the race was postponed until later today at 1p. Is it me or can Bristol not catch a break? Seems like every year they experience rain, although normally it's the spring race that's affected.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

After 48 laps, the race was postponed until later today at 1p. Is it me or can Bristol not catch a break? Seems like every year they experience rain, although normally it's the spring race that's affected.

And they want even more rain (chance) this afternoon and this evening.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Results from a delayed Bristol:

1. Harvick

2. Stenhouse Jr.

3. Hamlin

4. Dillon

5. Buscher

6. Johnson

7. Edwards

8. McMurray

9. Allmendinger

10. Logano

Oh how I love racing in Bristol. It can be such an unpredictable but fun track. Happy for Harvick & the burnout from him & Tony on his last race there. It didn't disappoint & races like this is why its one of my favorite tracks to watch.

Next up Michigan

SN: I didn't get a chance to talk about William Bryon signing with Hendrick but IMO, this is a good move. Hendrick knows the type of talent this kid has plus he's driven for Jr. Motorsports before so I think he'll fit right in.

baltimoreravens.png

4 hours ago, Needschat said:

Love Darlington throwbacks!

maxresdefault.jpg

While it's a great paint scheme, it's definitely gotta be a kick in the nads to Tommy Baldwin Racing and Regan Smith after they unveiled this paint scheme a little while back:

7roadrippers-diecast.jpg

Here's the Jayski link to all the Darlington schemes for this year:

http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/story/_/page/2016-NASCAR-Darlington-Throwback-Paint-Schemes

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not compete in the next two races as he was not cleared by his doctor to do so. Alex Bowman will drive at Michigan while Jeff Gordon will drive at Darlington.

Here's something I've been thinking about since Dale missed his first race, and y'all can chime in on what you think, but here's my question:

If Dale Earnhardt Jr. retires after this season, is he a hall of famer?

Personally, if he hadn't won all those popularity awards and wasn't Dale Sr.'s son, then I'd say no. However, due to his impact on the sport, his following, and what he has done as far as endorsements go, I say he will be in the Hall of Fame eventually. Maybe not a first ballot, but he could sneak in like Mark Martin did.

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Here's something I've been thinking about since Dale missed his first race, and y'all can chime in on what you think, but here's my question:

If Dale Earnhardt Jr. retires after this season, is he a hall of famer?

Personally, if he hadn't won all those popularity awards and wasn't Dale Sr.'s son, then I'd say no. However, due to his impact on the sport, his following, and what he has done as far as endorsements go, I say he will be in the Hall of Fame eventually. Maybe not a first ballot, but he could sneak in like Mark Martin did.

Has Jr. been an above-average driver? Yes. He's won races and done well for himself. However, he's not a hall of famer.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Junior is not a Hall of Famer in my eyes. Sure he's got quite a lot of wins and two Daytona 500 victories; but no Championships.

And yes; there have been successful drivers like Junior who've never won a Championship (i.e. Mark Martin), but those drivers (especially in Martin's case) had the better career portfolio.

Maybe that will change as the list of eligible NASCAR drivers/owners/personnel starts to dwindle and Junior finds himself on the list.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Somewhat biased opinion, but I believe Junior is a hall of famer. His name obviously gets votes. He is an incredible business man. He's also arguably the 2nd best restrictor plate racers (behind his father). Coincidentally, I believe his concussions will result in more driver safety improvements much like his father's death lead to improved driver safety.

8 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Junior is not a Hall of Famer in my eyes. Sure he's got quite a lot of wins and two Daytona 500 victories; but no Championships.

And yes; there have been successful drivers like Junior who've never won a Championship (i.e. Mark Martin), but those drivers (especially in Martin's case) had the better career portfolio.

Maybe that will change as the list of eligible NASCAR drivers/owners/personnel starts to dwindle and Junior finds himself on the list.

I tend to agree. The Chase is in year 13 and he has only made The Chase 8 times in those 13.  That's very good, but not great.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I tend to agree. The Chase is in year 13 and he has only made The Chase 8 times in those 13.  That's very good, but not great.

I also think that if he hadn't won the sperm lottery, as it were, by being Earnhardt's kid, he'd have been demoted to a smaller team long ago. He'd be riding Michael McDowell equipment and not Hendrick stuff if he weren't Earnhardt's kid.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

15 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I also think that if he hadn't won the sperm lottery, as it were, by being Earnhardt's kid, he'd have been demoted to a smaller team long ago. He'd be riding Michael McDowell equipment and not Hendrick stuff if he weren't Earnhardt's kid.

One could be led to believe that all the modifications to The Chase such as going from 10 teams to 12 (now 16) and the knockout stages were put in place to get Jr. and/or Danica into it with 40% of the field making it.

I would say Junior is borderline, but I think he gets in on his popularity and his Daytona 500 and Talladega wins. Also worth pointing out for this argument, every past driver with at least 26 wins (which Jr's at) is in the HOF. Now this also opens up debating whether Denny Hamlin or Carl Edwards gets in without a title. I guess Kurt Busch is also up for debate even with his title but aside from Kulwicki every Winston Cup-onward era champ has been elected to the HOF so that might be moot point. But yeah, NASCAR's in the business for money, the Hall of Fame's there for money, so I think Junior's going to get in when all is said and done anyway.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Here's a thought, should individual crew members get into the HOF? They put in as much effort as drivers. As far as I know, only team owners and drivers have been elected into the HOF. Maybe a crew chief has snuck in? I'd really like to see more crew chiefs and team members (tire changers, jackmen, gas men, etc) being considered for the HOF.

Archived