2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

On 9/30/2016 at 4:12 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Reed's a little surprising he's getting a shot first over Bubba. I think Bubba's going to be the better driver in the long-run.

Maybe this decision is for the best. Reed may be the driver ready to go faster then Bubba. But, I think Bubba's going to have the longer, more successful career though.

This is a ride buy. It has nothing to do with talent. 

iq5b7nF.png

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

So we all know Clint Bowyer is moving from HScott Motorsports to Stewart-Haas Racing at season's end. Does that mean HScott Motorsports is only going to field the Michael Annett #46 for next season as opposed to two cars?

Yes since they won't have the 5hr energy sponsorship to fund a second car anymore

I had totally forgotten Sprint was leaving as NASCAR's top series sponsor at the end of 2016. Apparently, the list of potential candidates as been chopped down to at most 10. It's been reported that Walmart is making a strong case. Boy, I hope not. The list is said to range from fast food chains (Burger King, McDonald's, etc) to popular consumer products (Panasonic, Samsung).

I'd like to think Microsoft and Adidas are in the mix.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I had totally forgotten Sprint was leaving as NASCAR's top series sponsor at the end of 2016. Apparently, the list of potential candidates as been chopped down to at most 10. It's been reported that Walmart is making a strong case. Boy, I hope not. The list is said to range from fast food chains (Burger King, McDonald's, etc) to popular consumer products (Panasonic, Samsung).

I'd like to think Microsoft and Adidas are in the mix.

After this Note 7 battery debacle, I'm not sure Samsung can stay in.

Three CEOs you don't wanna be right now: Theranos, Wells Fargo and Samsung

Results from Charlotte:

1. Johnson

2. Kenseth

3. Kahne

4. Newman

5. Larson

6. Kyle Busch

7. Keselowski

8. Kurt Busch

9. Stewart

10. McMurray

A rough day for some chase contenders, some wrecked, some had some bad pit stops. It was a dominant performance by Jimmie & Hendrick (with the exception of Bowman & Elliott's wreck). Despite that most are looking at Truex or Harvick, Jimmie is basically not going down without a fight to get #7...

Next up: Kansas

baltimoreravens.png

Bowman's day ended early, but I think he has run good enough to get a look from some Sprint Cup teams for a ride next year. I would try to get him in the #31 for RCR in place of Newman, but we all know that ride is being groomed for Ty Dillon.

Also, I've been wondering... why hasn't Dale Jr ever offered his nephew, Jeffrey Earnhardt, an Xfinity Series ride? Or has he and Jeffrey just refuses to accept the offer?

23 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Results from Charlotte:

1. Johnson

2. Kenseth

3. Kahne

4. Newman

5. Larson

6. Kyle Busch

7. Keselowski

8. Kurt Busch

9. Stewart

10. McMurray

A rough day for some chase contenders, some wrecked, some had some bad pit stops. It was a dominant performance by Jimmie & Hendrick (with the exception of Bowman & Elliott's wreck). Despite that most are looking at Truex or Harvick, Jimmie is basically not going down without a fight to get #7...

Next up: Kansas

DAY races in Charlotte have more than one groove!  This raced proved that day races are much better, more competitive than night races.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Martinsville Speedway to add lights! Let the night races at the paperclip begin!

This makes sense. Martinsville is that local Saturday night racetrack on a Sunday afternoon. I think this move will work; and it should make Martinsville more interesting.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

The front runners I've heard so far had been Coca-Cola, Kroger & Microsoft but that was about it.

Interesting, I'm intrigued by Kroger as they don't necessarily have footprints in every state.  I do like the Microsoft possibility.

On 10/09/2016 at 2:15 PM, DNAsports said:

Also, I've been wondering... why hasn't Dale Jr ever offered his nephew, Jeffrey Earnhardt, an Xfinity Series ride? Or has he and Jeffrey just refuses to accept the offer?

Junior has long questioned Jeffrey's dedication to racing even before his one race with JR Motorsports in 2013. Plus, remember that Kelly is co-owner; her opinion matters just as much.

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Junior has long questioned Jeffrey's dedication to racing even before his one race with JR Motorsports in 2013. Plus, remember that Kelly is co-owner; her opinion matters just as much.

I think Jeffrey racing most of the year for an underfunded GO FAS team should show his dedication, though...

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

17 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Interesting, I'm intrigued by Kroger as they don't necessarily have footprints in every state.  I do like the Microsoft possibility.

While Kroger doesn't have footprints in every state; they seem to have a lot of different supermarkets under its umbrella; if the sponsorships for AJ Allmendinger's #47 is to be believed.

http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/2016/story/_/page/2016-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-47-Team-Schemes

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

While Kroger doesn't have footprints in every state; they seem to have a lot of different supermarkets under its umbrella; if the sponsorships for AJ Allmendinger's #47 is to be believed.

http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/2016/story/_/page/2016-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-47-Team-Schemes

NASCAR is looking for a ten year/$1 billion sponsor in a time of declining ratings.

When Sprint signed on in 2004, it was ten years/$750M but their three year extension was only for between $45-50M, per reports due to falling ratings.

2017 Tech spec changes...

1. Testing policy
An update to the National Series testing policy which would allow drivers returning to the sport following a medical absence to have an extra test under the discretion of the sanctioning body. The driver’s team must request the test and provide adequate documentation from the competitor’s physician. Once approved, the test will be scheduled so as to not provide the returning driver with a competitive advantage.

2. Spoiler Size
For non-superspeedway events, the spoiler height will be reduced from 3.5 inches to 2.375 inches, further reducing downforce. The width of the spoiler will remain 61 inches. The spoiler used in 2016 at Michigan and Kentucky was 2.50 inches by 53.00 inches.

3. Mandatory Roof Hatches at Superspeedways
Roof hatches will remain optional at other race tracks. The roof hatch will be constructed above the driver’s head as an alternative exit.

4. Energy Absorbing Material added to the toe board in the driver’s cockpit
NASCAR-approved toe board will be mandatory at Superspeedways. Toe Board must be fastened to left-side front firewall (main vertical section) and left-side floorboard forward section with a composite cover.

5. Frame Changes
In an effort to restrict movement of the rear axle during competition, NASCAR is mandating change to the main frame assembly, truck trailing arm crossmember assembly, track bar mount and truck trailing arm on rear suspension, arm spacer and pinion angle shim.

6. Restrictor Plates
For superspeedways, the initial restrictor plate hole size will decrease from 57/64 to 7/8 inch. The sanctioning body will determine the final restrictor plate hole size after Happy Hour.

7. Driver Biometric Devices
Drivers can use non-telematic devices to monitor vital signs with internal battery power which cannot be connected to any other vehicle electrical system such as the car’s battery, ECU or digital dash display. Any data generated from the device cannot be downloaded during qualifying or the race.

nascar-cup-2017-nascar-sprint-cup-rule-changes-2016-2017-nascar-sprint-cup-rule-changes.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

Archived