2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

So Ford just showed off their Mid Cycle Refresh for their Fusion which would also include their Sprint Cup

acqxli.jpg

15wcsph.jpg

Compared to Last Years

294ng4p.jpg

In all honesty, I love the changes that have happened to 2016 Fusion. I'm impressed. Now we'll see what happens after 2017 when the SS is done.

Hmmm, let the wild rumors of Chase Elliott getting the 9 show up now.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Ford just showed off their Mid Cycle Refresh for their Fusion which would also include their Sprint Cup

15wcsph.jpg

No news to add. I just wanted to say a few things.

First, I've loved that 21 car paint scheme since back when David Pearson was behind the wheel.

2a8716a4-1ebf-43f0-9807-4480e76e681b.jpg

Second, I'm really looking forward to the 2016 NASCAR season because...I just moved to Ormond Beach, FL. I live about 20 minutes from Daytona and I'll be attending my first 500 this year.

Let's go racin', boys. B)

BB52Big.jpg

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-Camping-World-Trucks/News/Articles/2016/01/Abreu-to-Thorsport-in-2016.aspx

Rico Abreu will run in the truck series full-time in 2016 with ThorSport Racing, joining Matt Crafton and Johnny Sauter.

I love watching Rico. He ran pretty well in Phoenix and homestead. I hope he does well.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

According to Brian France, a form of the chase will be implemented for both the Trucks and XFINITY series for the upcoming 2016 season.

BTW, I'm seeing some sort of heat race thing being added to the two series as well. Anyone know anything more about this?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

3 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

According to Brian France, a form of the chase will be implemented for both the Trucks and XFINITY series for the upcoming 2016 season.

BTW, I'm seeing some sort of heat race thing being added to the two series as well. Anyone know anything more about this?

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/1/19/dash-4-cash-changes-announced-for-2016-xfinity-series-season.html

The Dash 4 Cash, which includes cash prizes for winning drivers and one lucky fan, will take place at Bristol Motor Speedway (April 16), Richmond International Raceway (April 23), Dover International Speedway (May 14) and Indianapolis Motor Speedway (July 23).

At each of these events there will be two heat races and the winners will compete for the Dash 4 Cash prize in the feature race. Odd-numbered qualifiers will be pitted against each other in one heat race, and even-numbered qualifiers will compete in the other heat race. The top two finishers in each heat race would be the Dash 4 Cash eligible drivers.

IUe6Hvh.png

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/brian-france-chase-charlotte-sprint-cup-7-major-changes-announced-nascar-media-tour-opens-011916

Some other things that were mentioned include the caution clock for Camping World

Here's how that's going to work,” said NASCAR’s O’Donnell. “Green flag comes out, starts the race. If after 20 minutes a caution has not come out, we'll display a competition caution, we'll run through the caution laps, we'll go back to green, caution clock will reset. We'll do that throughout the race until the end when we get within a window obviously where there's less than 20 minutes, we'll turn the clock off.”

It also talked about how Phoenix & Richmond are getting upgrades (although if you consider removing seats an upgrade at RIR then that can be misleading).

Low Downforce & the digital dashes, a charter system for the owners & as for a new sponsor for the soon to be no longer Sprint Cup?

Sprint’s sponsorship of NASCAR’s premier series ends this year. France said he is confident that a replacement for 2017 and beyond will be introduced. 

“We're in a good spot,” he said. “We have a lot of interest. We've got our TV deal set for the next decade or so, and I suspect, my sense is that we'll get something done here. We'll see, but it's good. We're in a good place.”

baltimoreravens.png

As bad as the initial announcements sound, I definitely want to see how these race test go. I was texing my friend about it, and he mentioned that the Lucky Dog won't be had on these 20 minute cautions, which was one of the first fears I had.

Typically they change rules mid year, so expect a big one after the first rule caution at Daytona, and for this to be for smaller tracks.

David Ragan to the 23, Matt DiBene....whatever, remains in the 83 for BK Racing; 26 team no longer on operation, JJ Yeley and Jeb Burton:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=313d6118-e4c6-4fe6-9b5b-e52489f308c7&c=&ch=

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Stewart suffers back injury in non-racing accident on ATV

His farewell season isn't off to a great start with less than two weeks until Speedweeks.  He was airlifted to a hospital and was "alert and able to move his extremities." No updates beyond that, I don't believe.

He's sure had an eventful few years away from the track, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

So with Tony Stewart having to miss the start if the season, who is subbing for him? 

Personally, I'd love to see Jeff Gordon hop in the 14 for one last race, but it could likely be a number of other candidates. Possibly Elliott Sadler now that he's with JR Motorsports?

On 2/4/2016 at 6:01 PM, DNAsports said:

Personally, I'd love to see Jeff Gordon hop in the 14 for one last race, but it could likely be a number of other candidates. Possibly Elliott Sadler now that he's with JR Motorsports?

I guarantee that Gordon will not sub for Stewart. 

Regan Smith is now with Tommy Baldwin, so I don't see him taking the wheel either.

I feel like the two most likely candidates are Justin Allgaier and Elliott Sadler, both from the JR Motorsports stable. However, I have seen John Hunter Nemechek's name kicked around by several people. I don't see it happening though as he hasn't even ran an XFINITY race yet. 

48 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I guarantee that Gordon will not sub for Stewart. 

He has confirmed this. He did say, though, if not for his commentating obligations he would consider since he feels bad because he invited Stewart on the trip on which he got hurt. 

IUe6Hvh.png

NASCAR announces a charter system that will allow 36 teams a guaranteed spot in each race for the Sprint Cup series. There will also be 4 spots up for grabs TBD via normal qualifying standards. This means there will only be 40 positions in every race. Charters were given based on each teams performance from 2013-15.

Charter teams are as followed:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/2/9/nascar-36-charter-teams-list.html

One thing you'll noticed is the 19 of Carl Edwards and 41 of Kurt Busch are missing. Joe Gibbs Racing and Stewart-Haas Racing will most likely purchase Michael Waltrip Racing's charters to guarantee the 19 and 41 spots. The Woods Brothers 21 is also missing. They will likely have to be one of the 4 teams fighting for a spot each week.

The reason the 95 of Circle Sport got a charter over the 21 of the Wood Brothers is because the 95 has competed full-time since 2013. Wood Brothers has been part-time since roughly 2007.

Seems wrong, I know, but you've gotta draw the line somewhere. 

Archived