2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially. Think of it as the NFL having franchises, and not just a random assortment of teams that play every season. If an owner wants to sell his team, then they'll make a profit on their investment. It insures the 36 teams a spot every year. If a team like HScott starts tanking, they can sell their two guaranteed grid spots, and have something to pocket.

Brian Vickers has been cleared once again and will fill in for the injured Tony Stewart: 

http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2016/02/breaking-news-vickers-to-race-for.html?m=1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

This could be very interesting...

http://www.crash.net/nascar/news/226533/1/chip-ganassi-wont-rule-out-ford-nascar-move.html

NASCAR team owner Chip Ganassi has refused to rule out a future switch from Chevrolet to Ford in the NASCAR Sprint Cup having strengthened its ties with the manufacturer ahead of the 2016 season.

CGR has been synonymous with Chevrolet in NASCAR, but the team is strengthening its ties with Ford after joining forces to spearhead its new Le Mans and World Endurance Championship programme having worked together during the Daytona Prototype sportscar era. It also enjoys success in IndyCar using Honda engines.
“I'm happy to run Honda in Indycar, Chevy in NASCAR and Ford in Sportscar racing, all the manufacturers we work with are fully aware of my deals with the other manufacturers, I go in with an open book”

“I think that is what it takes to be in this business today. I would compare it to a car dealer that has multiple name plates or a manufacturing company which work for different manufacturers. I think it's important that they understand that we do not kiss and tell. We try to the best we can for everyone.”

However Ford, which is introducing an updated technical package for the 2016 Sprint Cup season, has hinted that there may be drastic changes in the pipeline for its NASCAR programme in 2016 if form does not improve.

baltimoreravens.png

12 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Since Speedweeks' start-up is right around the corner, should we go ahead and create the 2016 NASCAR Season thread or nah?

(First official practice of the 2016 NSCS season is Friday/Tomorrow at 5pm with a Final Practice session at 6:30pm, an hour and a half later.)

With just two pages, this should just be re-named by the OP.

To be honest, I have less interest in the start of this season compared to past five or six seasons. 

On 2/9/2016 at 2:24 PM, DNAsports said:

NASCAR announces a charter system that will allow 36 teams a guaranteed spot in each race for the Sprint Cup series. There will also be 4 spots up for grabs TBD via normal qualifying standards. This means there will only be 40 positions in every race. Charters were given based on each teams performance from 2013-15.

Charter teams are as followed:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/2/9/nascar-36-charter-teams-list.html

One thing you'll noticed is the 19 of Carl Edwards and 41 of Kurt Busch are missing. Joe Gibbs Racing and Stewart-Haas Racing will most likely purchase Michael Waltrip Racing's charters to guarantee the 19 and 41 spots. The Woods Brothers 21 is also missing. They will likely have to be one of the 4 teams fighting for a spot each week.

Reducing the field to 40 is the only thing I don't like about it. Give those other two cars a shot. 42-43 has been the "magic number" for as long as I can remember, and I don't see the benefit of sending two extra cars home.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

With just two pages, this should just be re-named by the OP.

Yeah, that idea came to my mind after the fact. :blush:

Wait, so the field in every race is going to be only 40? That sounds kind of stupid. Growing up, the field size grew and for the past decade plus, it was 42/43 cars. There should be a chance for non-charter race teams to attempt to get into the field for a race.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Boy does Ricky Stenhouse Jr suck... He was 24th out of 25 when he and Hamlin were maybe 2 seconds behind the lead pack when he spun out and hit Hamlin. Someone remind me why he's in the Sprint Cup Series. He has done nothing note worthy.

He's Danica's boy toy, and was a former 2 time Nationwide series champion 

I feel like this is the start of a new era in the sport. We have the wave of late 90s/early 2000s age and retire, and a new wave of legitimate rookies come in. Nascar has been working close to drivers to clear rules, and the charter system is gonna make the series feel more of a franchised league. On top of that, Daytona Rising may start a new era of track renovations. It's going to be cool to see how this goes in the next few seasons.

22 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Unlimited was pretty boring up until the last 10 laps.

Also, I had a feeling a rookie would win the pole for the 500; but was torn between Ryan Blaney and Chase Elliott.

Like most restrictor plate races :P

I usually don't watch a full-season of Nascar but I always get in speedweeks and that at least keeps my interest for the following weeks.  I usually get back into it around the time of the chase and when the series comes to Joliet.  It's so weird hearing Jeff Gordon in the booth though.  Here's to hoping Logano can capitalize on last year's run and bring home a championship!

Archived