2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

On 2/15/2016 at 10:53 AM, raysox said:

I feel like this is the start of a new era in the sport. We have the wave of late 90s/early 2000s age and retire, and a new wave of legitimate rookies come in. Nascar has been working close to drivers to clear rules, and the charter system is gonna make the series feel more of a franchised league. On top of that, Daytona Rising may start a new era of track renovations. It's going to be cool to see how this goes in the next few seasons.

Most ISC track renovations started back in 2014 under a five year plan.  Part of the $600M plan for seven ISC tracks is to reduce capacity by a combined 94,000 seats.  Talladega and Michigan have drastically cut their capacity with grandstand removals and bringing in wider seats.  Richmond and Chicagoland are down 20,000 seats each; Lesa France-Kennedy has already said that Phoenix and Richmond have been eyed to get upgraded, but did not share any details after that. 

SMI tracks basically did all their drastic changes before 2013. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been hearing this recently and j thought I might get you guys' opinions. Is 500 qualifying rigged? Danica wins it in her first race, Austin Dillon wins it in the 3's first race back, and Jeff Gordon wins it in his last Daytona 500. It's interesting for sure. Not sure what to think about it

Also: 500 picks?

14 minutes ago, CyGuy5 said:

So I've been hearing this recently and j thought I might get you guys' opinions. Is 500 qualifying rigged? Danica wins it in her first race, Austin Dillon wins it in the 3's first race back, and Jeff Gordon wins it in his last Daytona 500. It's interesting for sure. Not sure what to think about it

Not any more than the moon landing was faked.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 hour ago, CyGuy5 said:

Also: 500 picks?

Well for the last 2 season it was group qualifying right? Those just seem random in the fact that the cars in the back have a better shot at the pole. Plus, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to hold the gas and point it around 4 turns. Think it's more of a coincidence.

500 Qualifying is not really rigged. It's a restrictor plate track and restrictor plates are wild cards. Winners could come from anywhere in the field. The pole can by won any anyone (Loy Allen Jr., David Gilliland were drivers that surprised the field when they won their poles for the 500).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

And the starting lineup for the Daytona 500 is set! Sucks for Kenseth. He's probably headed to the back after that. So now that that's finished, who do you guys have for the 500? Even though I'm a huge Newman fan my bet is on Carl Edwards for the 500

AJ was in the wrong place at the wrong time in the Sprint Unlimited; involved in a late race wreck.

AJ was in the wrong place at the wrong time in his Can-Am Duel Race; involved in a late race wreck,

I'm sensing a pattern here...hopefully, he can bounce back on Sunday and get a good showing in the 500.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/02/19/last-spot-in-daytona-500-goes-to-hay-farmer-from-texas.html

Looks like we've all got an underdog to root for!

Robert Richardson, Jr. is a former backup quarterback at SMU and has 8 career Sprint Cup starts (all at Daytona or Talladega), with a best finish of 18th.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

So the Trucks ran last night, introducing the new Caution clock. It turns off with 20 laps to go, so that's a plus. I don't think it was needed last night as there seemed to be a wreck a few minutes from the clock hitting zero. 

FWIW, Johnny Sauter came away with the win, practically sealing his spot in the Trucks Chase... The "Trace", if you will.

Oh yeah, and Christopher Bell did this:

http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=626775107960

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

6 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

So the Trucks ran last night, introducing the new Caution clock. It turns off with 20 laps to go, so that's a plus. I don't think it was needed last night as there seemed to be a wreck a few minutes from the clock hitting zero. 

FWIW, Johnny Sauter came away with the win, practically sealing his spot in the Trucks Chase... The "Trace", if you will.

Oh yeah, and Christopher Bell did this:

http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=626775107960

I didn't even know about the caution clock in the truck series. Are cautions that infrequent in the truck series that they need to make them mandatory every 20 laps?

Go Chase Elliott! Going to be weird seeing Jeff in the booth, that's for sure. My support is with all of Hendrick this season. Especially the 24 and 48. Would have loved for Axalta to stay with the 24.

Edit: Also, the 24, 48, and 5 really need to bring back the yellow numbers. 

On February 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM, DNAsports said:

So with Tony Stewart having to miss the start if the season, who is subbing for him? 

Personally, I'd love to see Jeff Gordon hop in the 14 for one last race, but it could likely be a number of other candidates. Possibly Elliott Sadler now that he's with JR Motorsports?

Personally, I think Jeff belongs in the 24 and nowhere else. :)

3 hours ago, BayouJim said:

I didn't even know about the caution clock in the truck series. Are cautions that infrequent in the truck series that they need to make them mandatory every 20 laps?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure as I don't normally watch the Trucks, though I do keep an eye on who is in it. I do know that their races are pretty short, 250 miles at the most. 

BTW, it's every 20 minutes, not laps, but at Daytona, it would be approximately 20 laps, but intermediate tracks would be about 40 laps.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

1 hour ago, mr.nascar13 said:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure as I don't normally watch the Trucks, though I do keep an eye on who is in it. I do know that their races are pretty short, 250 miles at the most. 

BTW, it's every 20 minutes, not laps, but at Daytona, it would be approximately 20 laps, but intermediate tracks would be about 40 laps.

The series has has mandatory cautiouns or a "halftime break" before.

As NASCAR will tell you, the clock is in place to assist newer drivers, newer crew chiefs and the crews to become more adept at diagnosing issues and making strategic changes during the race.

6 hours ago, ujju2 said:

Go Chase Elliott! Going to be weird seeing Jeff in the booth, that's for sure. My support is with all of Hendrick this season. Especially the 24 and 48. Would have loved for Axalta to stay with the 24.

Edit: Also, the 24, 48, and 5 really need to bring back the yellow numbers. 

That kind of became Jeff's thing towards the end of his career so I'm happy the 24 is going away from that with Chase (hopefully they don't give Chase any flame paint schemes either).  After all, in Jeff's last race, that's how the rest of the team honored him.

Also, I'm glad Chase got the win.  Hopefully he can do it again tomorrow night!

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived