Weird things you noticed in sports

johnnysama

I've never liked the touch-icing in hockey. Why is it not just automatic?

Also why is the schedule spaced out so much? For example the Islanders played yesterday, now they don't play again until Friday. It's not like football where you're getting hit every single play.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me if this was brought up, but it drives me crazy that a team in hockey that's shorthanded is allowed to ice the puck. Are there any other instances in sports where a team gets to break a rule as part of their punishment for breaking a different rule? "Sorry about that offsides call; don't worry about pass interference on the next down"?

Also why is the schedule spaced out so much? For example the Islanders played yesterday, now they don't play again until Friday. It's not like football where you're getting hit every single play.

Skating is a physically demanding activity. Hockey players tend to be some of the most conditioned athletes of the five major sports.

Aside from that, most teams aren't the only tenants of their facilities. So you have to spread games out due to availability of their arenas. Generally, teams play 2-3 games a week. A 7-day layoff is not very common.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Hockey games from September exhibition games & training camps until potentially June Stanley Cup Final. Guys don't even last more than a minute or so on the ice at a time lest they fall flat on their faces. It's all out every shift, every game.

Besides, playoff hockey you play nearly every other night.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Skating is a physically demanding activity. Hockey players tend to be some of the most conditioned athletes of the five major sports.

Aside from that, most teams aren't the only tenants of their facilities. So you have to spread games out due to availability of their arenas. Generally, teams play 2-3 games a week. A 7-day layoff is not very common.

And also, you want as many of your games to be on the weekend as possible. Best attendance for weekend games.

11 hours ago, Graham_Clayton said:

The French, US and Australian Open tennis championships refer to the various categories as either "Mens" or "Womens" matches, eg men's singles, women's doubles, etc.

The exception is Wimbledon, which uses the terms "Gentlemen" and "Ladies".

I like it.

Similarly, I've found it very weird that I've been handed rosters for college teams (I do PA announcing) that list the "Boys" and "Girls" basketball teams.

"Boys" and "Girls" is high school. By college/university, it should universally be "Men's" and "Women's."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

6 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I like it.

Similarly, I've found it very weird that I've been handed rosters for college teams (I do PA announcing) that list the "Boys" and "Girls" basketball teams.

"Boys" and "Girls" is high school. By college/university, it should universally be "Men's" and "Women's."

At least the HS i went to, for journalism we were told to use Men and Woman, not boy and girl

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Some of you know this already, but in American football (college and pro), the penalty flags are yellow, and the challenge flags red, but in Canada, the penalty flags are orange, and the challenge flag is yellow.

UBwef0L.png

On 1/20/2016 at 4:18 PM, DiePerske said:

At least the HS i went to, for journalism we were told to use Men and Woman, not boy and girl

I've seen it both ways in HS, and think either one is fine. However, calling a college basketball team "boys" or "girls" is weird.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I was once at a tournament at this little school in the middle of nowhere (Rycroft, Alberta if you care) and the bathrooms said "girls" and "guys". Guys? Really? 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

17 hours ago, FGM13 said:

I was once at a tournament at this little school in the middle of nowhere (Rycroft, Alberta if you care) and the bathrooms said "girls" and "guys". Guys? Really? 

I guess that's what people are referred to nowadays so they want to make a better connection to the students. I, however, prefer the standard formality of "mens" and "womens".

College and high school women's teams preceded by "Lady". Such as the "Lady Eagles", etc. As if the sex of the mascot matters.  You don't see the "Gentlemen Eagles", etc.

Even when the name is male, such as the "Bulls" you might see "Lady Bulls", rather than the correct name. Or, the names are just completely different. My favorite is a local high school with the name "Blue Devils" whose girls teams go by "Blue Darlings". As if Devils are entirely masculine.

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

College and high school women's teams preceded by "Lady". Such as the "Lady Eagles", etc. As if the sex of the mascot matters.  You don't see the "Gentlemen Eagles", etc.

Even when the name is male, such as the "Bulls" you might see "Lady Bulls", rather than the correct name. Or, the names are just completely different. My favorite is a local high school with the name "Blue Devils" whose girls teams go by "Blue Darlings". As if Devils are entirely masculine.

Orangemen are no more.  Your move Ladies.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Yup. Liz Hurley (or many guys exes) are proof of this.

On 1/24/2016 at 3:41 PM, Sykotyk said:

We have a high school around here who is the "Lumberjacks." I'm not sure if the girls teams are "Lumberjills" or not.

iq5b7nF.png

On 1/24/2016 at 3:41 PM, Sykotyk said:

Back when I was doing play-by-play for High School sports, I made it a point to never use Lady with the team name when calling a women's game. I always thought calling a team the "Lady_______" was a little insulting. 

BB52Big.jpg

This:

John+Kuhn+Super+Bowl+XLV+Z-pX-qcTT7ll.jp

I realize it's a few years old, but it's always bugged me.  I remember watching the Super Bowl and seeing Kuhn on the sideline with no helmet decal.  Any reason why that would be?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

2 hours ago, Jimmy! said:

This:

John+Kuhn+Super+Bowl+XLV+Z-pX-qcTT7ll.jp

I realize it's a few years old, but it's always bugged me.  I remember watching the Super Bowl and seeing Kuhn on the sideline with no helmet decal.  Any reason why that would be?

It probably got torn off during a play or something. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived