Socks That Ruined NFL Looks

Elmos World 17

and in the spirit of the thread here's one I grieved over:

The Chargers looked better when they had striped socks with their blue pants

ladainian_tomlinson_2002_12_15.jpg

when they started wearing blue socks with the blue pants it felt like they got lazy and cheap. Like the equipment managers didn't want to worry about a second pair of socks.

full.jpg

In spite of the navy dominant 90's color scheme, that set destroys their current uniforms. Such a shame they changed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal sock rules:

- In most cases the sock should be a different color from the pants. Exception: I think the Bengals look worse with orange socks and black pants than they do with the black socks/black pants.

- light colors such as yellow, gray, gold should not be worn as a full sock color. If that's the case then the team should go with white striped socks. The Lions in the 90's wore blue pants with gray socks for a few games. Would've looked so much better with white socks with stripes that matched their sleeves.

As much as everybody loves the Texans with red socks on the road, I've always felt the same about them. They were better than navy, but it always looked off to me. They would have looked much better wearing white socks with striping to match the white pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My personal sock rules:

- In most cases the sock should be a different color from the pants. Exception: I think the Bengals look worse with orange socks and black pants than they do with the black socks/black pants.

- light colors such as yellow, gray, gold should not be worn as a full sock color. If that's the case then the team should go with white striped socks. The Lions in the 90's wore blue pants with gray socks for a few games. Would've looked so much better with white socks with stripes that matched their sleeves.

As much as everybody loves the Texans with red socks on the road, I've always felt the same about them. They were better than navy, but it always looked off to me. They would have looked much better wearing white socks with striping to match the white pants.

I agree. Even a single navy stripe to mimic the shoulder stripe would be preferable.

I think when the socks are a lighter color than the pants it sort of looks like a photo negative and is weird looking. We're so used to seeing the darker color used on the socks that it's a strange sight when they're the other way around.

PvO6ZWJ.png

8041850.jpg

I wouldn't say the socks ruined the look, because it wasn't a great look to begin with, but I can't stand the Patriots road uni clown socks. They would look less clownish if there were 2 stripes instead of 3, and not spaced out so far, or... something. But I'm not a fan of the dark pants - white topped socks look anyway. I always disliked the Redskins burgundy pants look as well because of the socks. It just looks goofy to me. The leotard look isn't the greatest either, so it's best to go with light colored pants (white/silver/gold, mostly)- dark colored socks for NFL teams, imo.

^When they first came out with those uniforms I was certain they were just wearing adidas soccer socks.

It's not crazy to think the 3 stripes was an intentional move by adidas. I've never understood why there's no red in those socks. Outside of the sore thumb facemask the Pats really don't want people to know red is one of their colors.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Outside of the sore thumb facemask the Pats really don't want people to know red is one of their colors.

Except for the occasions when the Patriots inscrutably decide to throw back to the days when they were the laughingstock of professional sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Outside of the sore thumb facemask the Pats really don't want people to know red is one of their colors.

Except for the occasions when the Patriots inscrutably decide to throw back to the days when they were the laughingstock of professional sports.

with the uniform that is the laughing stock of sports branding

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The rule should read something to the effect of, the bottom half of the sock must be white, with the top half being colored, striped, or a combination of colored/striped. The socks will be measured from the top of the shoe to the bottom of the pants. The color-break must occur +/- 1" from the center point of the sock.. This solid colored sock with white ankle socks thing is growing old quickly

I actually don't mind the socks some quarterbacks wear with mostly color and a little white:

25-sam-bradford-qb-philadelphia-eagles_p

Speaking of which,the Eagles black socks belong here, IMO.

Should only be worn with the white jersey+green pants and with the black jersey+white pants.All other combos should have midnight green socks.

I really like the Eagles look but there is just too much black. I'd rather them use a shade of bronze or copper close to the color of an eagle's beak as an accent .

That works pretty well. I'd just go with white pants and purple socks on the road, though. There's more precedent for that and I'm not crazy about purple pants (though they weren't as bad as I had feared).

As a youth I remember having tube socks that had the various NFL team colors on them.

Here's an example:

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/images/1970_NewOrleans.png

I wish all teams used these types of socks.

And I hate hate HATE HATE HATE the monochrome look. Jets green on green. Ravens black on black. Different colored pants. I hated when the Redskins wore white jerseys with white pants. Hideous! Other teams that didn't bother me so much but it did with the Redskins.

I agree the samples provided by other posters about the ugly socks rings ever so true. It is akin to me with baseball no longer having stirrup socks and instead wearing those longer trousers that look like pajamas and look hideous. I'm amazed no baseball players trip over them. Just an awful look

and in the spirit of the thread here's one I grieved over:

The Chargers looked better when they had striped socks with their blue pants

ladainian_tomlinson_2002_12_15.jpg

when they started wearing blue socks with the blue pants it felt like they got lazy and cheap. Like the equipment managers didn't want to worry about a second pair of socks.

full.jpg

I'm sorry, but the striped Chargers socks weren't good. They clashed with the bolt motif and had a different vibe than the rest of the uniform.

The unitard look isn't great, but at least it fit the rest of the uniform.

I think the only way to go with that set was navy-white-white-navy, kind of like the Vikings of that time. The white socks didn't work, and matching pants and socks didn't work.

The rule should read something to the effect of, the bottom half of the sock must be white, with the top half being colored, striped, or a combination of colored/striped. The socks will be measured from the top of the shoe to the bottom of the pants. The color-break must occur +/- 1" from the center point of the sock.. This solid colored sock with white ankle socks thing is growing old quickly

I actually don't mind the socks some quarterbacks wear with mostly color and a little white:

Should only be worn with the white jersey+green pants and with the black jersey+white pants.All other combos should have midnight green socks.

I really like the Eagles look but there is just too much black. I'd rather them use a shade of bronze or copper close to the color of an eagle's beak as an accent .

I don't agree here. When the Eagles first went to midnight green they used green socks and something about it didn't look right

Hoying3.jpg

I think their black socks provide a nice balance

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't agree here. When the Eagles first went to midnight green they used green socks and something about it didn't look right

Hoying3.jpg

I think their black socks provide a nice balance

They started off in black socks in 96

ricky_watters_1996_11_17.jpg

Archived