Bad Uniforms/Logos made classic by Good Teams

chcarlson23

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.png

It's considered to be one of the most iconic logos in sports, but it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly executed and horribly outdated.

Couldn't agree more, I can't stand it. Besides the cartoonishness, it drives me nuts that the "I" reaches further than the "S" and that it goes into the island (unless I'm missing something creative there?). And because the "N" is cut off by the circle, it creates the optical illusion that the left part of the N is wider and taller than the right.

With that said, I would love for them to keep with the theme of this logo and just update it to make it look more modern. It's classic but could use a serious makeover.

You are. The I is pointing to where on the island Nassau Coliseum is located. But that's moot not that they play in Brooklyn.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.png

It's considered to be one of the most iconic logos in sports, but it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly executed and horribly outdated.

Couldn't agree more, I can't stand it. Besides the cartoonishness, it drives me nuts that the "I" reaches further than the "S" and that it goes into the island (unless I'm missing something creative there?). And because the "N" is cut off by the circle, it creates the optical illusion that the left part of the N is wider and taller than the right.

With that said, I would love for them to keep with the theme of this logo and just update it to make it look more modern. It's classic but could use a serious makeover.

That's just an illusion. The I and S reach just as high pretty much.

zdrycpc7mh5teihl10gko8sgf.png

I'm genuinely surprised I'm the first person to say this. This logo is awful and in drastic need of an update. Not necessarily a completely new logo, but at least cleaned up a bit.

It looks like it was drawn by a 6th grader. I understand that "the best logos should be able to be doodled on a school notebook", but that doesn't mean the logo itself should look like it was directly ripped from one.

If it weren't for Jordan and those classic teams from the 90's I think this would be the first choice in the "need of an update" pile by most people on this board.

They really need a Vikings or Cardinals-esque update. Keep the essence of the logo, but update it.

Interesting thread.

Comments on what has appeared so far:

1) that Reds jersey that Pete Rose is wearing was great. I am a big fan of most of those uniforms that existed right before the 70's updates, with that ugly double-knit material and pull over jerseys. As far as logos go, though... I do like that running Mr. Red in the "C" chest emblem. I think THAT was executed nicely in the 70's. Look at an old Twins uniform, or even the red/white White Sox uniforms. Everything was clean... and simple.

2) I have NEVER understood the Cowboys mismatched color scheme. I think they could stick with the logo, and change everything else, but to what? They are stuck in those uniforms for some reason... If the Steelers can change the uniform font from those 70's Super Bowl jerseys, the Cowboys could change their uniforms a bit. Pick a silver and blue and make them match throughout the uniform. Try that first. But as boring as that star is, it IS iconic and will never be changed. And it shouldn't be.

3) the current Patriot uniforms are awful, and they will be around for a LONG time to come. The emblem stinks, the colors are a mess, the fonts are bad, etc. There is literally nothing I like about the uniforms or the logos except for the name "Patriots". It is too bad they didn't have success with those red jerseys with the white piping (Steve Grogan era), and the Patriot hiking the ball.

4) the early 70's Pirates had uniforms I could live with, even though they went with the pull over double knit jerseys, they still had a good scheme (see 1971 World Series highlights, and Roberto Clemente pics). When they won in 1979, they had those awful all-black, all-yellow and white with gold pinstripes awfulness (and don't forget they mixed and matched them!) combined with both gold and black pill-box hats that just overwhelmed the senses. But those uniforms, with Willie Stargell, have become iconic simply because they were the last ones the team wore when they won a championship.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates bring back the pill box hat, and wear it with their white button down uniforms. But only if every player is forced to wear their pants how they are supposed to be worn.. Right below the knee, with sanitary socks and stirrups. Baseball unfortunately let guys change their uniforms individually, which looks terrible IMO. At least the NFL got it right with the uniforms... Keep each player in each team look the same, and fine guys that stray. I hate the baggy pants, bunched-down-on-the-shoe look that some players wear in baseball, especially when other guys on the same team wear their pants differently. It is just sloppy.

Success usually saddles the franchise with whatever they had at the time, good or bad.

quebec.jpg

Don't care how much the Nordiques need to come back, this really doesn't have to.

Oh, and not sure why this is in this thread, but when I was a kid, I thought this was supposed to be an elephant. I never saw an igloo.... I saw the stick and puck, but couldn't figure out what in the hell they were going for.

I just thought an elephant was a "mascot" for the Nordiques, like it is for the Oakland Athletics. That logo is and always has been a total fail.

But really, while I would love to see Quebec City get a team and would be OK with a "Cleveland Winnipeg Deal" I don't think the logo should be brought back. It belongs in the places we go to be nostalgic. The original Nords have been gone for 20 years (and that logo was to be gone either way). The new Nords would be best served by a new logo.

I don't know about that one. The NHL movement in Winnipeg was always about getting an NHL team back, with what they were called or how they looked of secondary importance to just getting back in the league. Of course, once it finally happened, it became clear that the name "Winnipeg Jets" was a must and that no one really wanted the Falcons or Moose or Polar Bears once the chips were down. On the other hand, the movement in Quebec City has always been about bringing back the Quebec Nordiques, period, preserved in amber as they were when they were taken away. It has to be the whole package. And I'm fine with that. It's what the people want, so give it to them. I realize there's so much cool stuff you could design around Quebec City iconography, but this is not a place that exists on the forefront, you know? Let them celebrate the 1970s as much as they celebrate the 1770s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

small_logo.png9rwele7bre8hxdeetcs38emaa.gifboston-red-sox-logo.pngSF.pngSan_Antonio_Spurs_3ef7c_250x250.png

The colors for that Spurs logo aren't right. The pink was more of a salmon-ish and the green was darker and more teal (actually, it was teal). Also, the Spurs' fiesta logo was freaking awesome.

The only one there that I can really agree with you on is the Red Sox' ball logo. The socks look like Christmas stockings. I guess the Giants' ball logo is a little generic-looking, but they've had it long enough for it to become semi-iconic, maybe?

Yeah, Fiesta Spurs is one of favorite sports identities as a whole ever. I really miss it and hope it comes back someday.

I always thought it was rather genius of San Antonio to feature the Fiesta stuff the way they did. It allowed them to push the envelope a little all while keeping their general on-court look intact. And I can't explain how exactly, but they did it in such a way that even despite the uniforms appearing different than what the logos/court/warmups would suggest, everything still looked cohesive and related. It may not have worked for others, but it totally worked for me. I guess kinda sorta-ish in the same way that the Blackhawks logo features quite a few different colors than the primaries, but still meshes so well with the identity and uniforms. Not the same exact case necessarily, but since I can't really explain it, I had to find something sorta close to relate it to.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Interesting thread.

Comments on what has appeared so far:

1) that Reds jersey that Pete Rose is wearing was great. I am a big fan of most of those uniforms that existed right before the 70's updates, with that ugly double-knit material and pull over jerseys. As far as logos go, though... I do like that running Mr. Red in the "C" chest emblem. I think THAT was executed nicely in the 70's. Look at an old Twins uniform, or even the red/white White Sox uniforms. Everything was clean... and simple.

2) I have NEVER understood the Cowboys mismatched color scheme. I think they could stick with the logo, and change everything else, but to what? They are stuck in those uniforms for some reason... If the Steelers can change the uniform font from those 70's Super Bowl jerseys, the Cowboys could change their uniforms a bit. Pick a silver and blue and make them match throughout the uniform. Try that first. But as boring as that star is, it IS iconic and will never be changed. And it shouldn't be.

3) the current Patriot uniforms are awful, and they will be around for a LONG time to come. The emblem stinks, the colors are a mess, the fonts are bad, etc. There is literally nothing I like about the uniforms or the logos except for the name "Patriots". It is too bad they didn't have success with those red jerseys with the white piping (Steve Grogan era), and the Patriot hiking the ball.

4) the early 70's Pirates had uniforms I could live with, even though they went with the pull over double knit jerseys, they still had a good scheme (see 1971 World Series highlights, and Roberto Clemente pics). When they won in 1979, they had those awful all-black, all-yellow and white with gold pinstripes awfulness (and don't forget they mixed and matched them!) combined with both gold and black pill-box hats that just overwhelmed the senses. But those uniforms, with Willie Stargell, have become iconic simply because they were the last ones the team wore when they won a championship.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates bring back the pill box hat, and wear it with their white button down uniforms. But only if every player is forced to wear their pants how they are supposed to be worn.. Right below the knee, with sanitary socks and stirrups. Baseball unfortunately let guys change their uniforms individually, which looks terrible IMO. At least the NFL got it right with the uniforms... Keep each player in each team look the same, and fine guys that stray. I hate the baggy pants, bunched-down-on-the-shoe look that some players wear in baseball, especially when other guys on the same team wear their pants differently. It is just sloppy.

Success usually saddles the franchise with whatever they had at the time, good or bad.

The multicolored 1977-85 uniforms for the Pirates also reflected the era, and the pillbox hat was a different look for sure. Aside from contending teams, that set is also strongly associated with players like Dave Parker(who was the best player in MLB for a time), and the outstanding relief pitcher Kent Tekulve, along with the hall of famer Stargell. Funny thing about the pillbox hats were how they were used elsewhere during this time, from the minor leagues to college baseball. Also, Vanderbilt baseball wore the gold pinstripes circa 1980 for their winning teams.

Couldn't agree more about the link with success, had the circa 1986 New York football Giants been wearing the set from 1975-79, those more colorful uniforms would be more highly regarded.

No, the Nords were pretty good through most of the '80s, then had a disastrous run in the late '80s/early '90s that netted them Nolan, Sundin, Sakic, and the return for Lindros, at which point they got good again just in time to be sold to Denver interests because no one would replace the Colisee. The Whalers mostly sucked, and the Jets were usually pretty good but cursed with a divisional playoff system that forced them into running headlong into elite teams. IT'S A GOOD THING THAT WAS NEVER ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AGAIN.

I associate the logo with the Stastnys and the rest of the European influx that raised the level of NHL play, with the wacky zany WHA, with Michel Goulet, with Quebecois identity, and with the NHL being in one of the most interesting cities on the continent. And people in Quebec seem to like the logo even more than I do because they keep buying stuff with it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, the Nords were pretty good through most of the '80s, then had a disastrous run in the late '80s/early '90s that netted them Nolan, Sundin, Sakic, and the return for Lindros, at which point they got good again just in time to be sold to Denver interests because no one would replace the Colisee. The Whalers mostly sucked, and the Jets were usually pretty good but cursed with a divisional playoff system that forced them into running headlong into elite teams. IT'S A GOOD THING THAT WAS NEVER ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AGAIN.

I associate the logo with the Stastnys and the rest of the European influx that raised the level of NHL play, with the wacky zany WHA, with Michel Goulet, with Quebecois identity, and with the NHL being in one of the most interesting cities on the continent. And people in Quebec seem to like the logo even more than I do because they keep buying stuff with it.

Meh somewhat revisionist history, the Nordiques had all of four winning seasons between '79-'80 and '88-'89. They had a record that was 20 games UNDER .500 for the decade. They had ONE 1st place finish. This is the decade where 16 of the 21 teams made the playoffs (and 4 out 5 in their division) mind you so that really wasnt much of an accomplishment. Most years it was seemingly a contest between them and the Whalers about who could suck the least and get the #4 seed. I realize they had a couple nice runs in '82 and '85 but neither of those teams were world beaters either. Then of course, as you said, they really bottomed out in '87. Much like the Jets old logo it's just become a rallying point for a new team, because that's the last thing that fanbase knew when they were part of the NHL.

Semantics aside, it's not some logo that was kept alive due to some storied franchise history. Had they not gone to Denver, they'd have changed to the 90's robo-husky anyway. If QC ever comes back into the league, I'd hope they do something a bit more up to date than that 70's art deco igloo.

BTW I do like the return to the Divisional Playoff format, it's great for the rivalries, and is much better now that divisions have 7 or 8 teams as opposed to 5 or 6.

tumblr_mlb0org6cs1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

Okay, the only really bad thing about the 49ers 80s look is the comically wide pants stripes. Mostly they're just kind of dull. But they don't hold a candle to their late 90s look, which isn't perfect either, but is still by far the best look in franchise history.

jeff_garcia_prepare_to_pass.jpg

But the 49ers dominated in the 80s, and were mostly mediocre in the late 90s and early 2000s, so now we're stuck with these bland fauxbacks.

Colin-Kaepernick-San-Francisco-49ers.jpg

Okay, the only really bad thing about the 49ers 80s look is the comically wide pants stripes. Mostly they're just kind of dull. But they don't hold a candle to their late 90s look, which isn't perfect either, but is still by far the best look in franchise history.

This is their best look, hands down.

Drab? Nah.

Unique? Yes.

CLASSIC!!

Nordiques and Islanders. The two worst pro sports logos ever created. Not a fan of Boston's Spoke B either, but it's not as outright attrocious as those. The NY Giants logo sucks on a massive scale as well, but I'm not sure if it can be considered classic.

jeff_garcia_prepare_to_pass.jpg

But the 49ers dominated in the 80s, and were mostly mediocre in the late 90s and early 2000s, so now we're stuck with these bland fauxbacks.

Colin-Kaepernick-San-Francisco-49ers.jpg

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I agree with this. I thought the late 90s update paid homage to the classic 49ers look while incorporating both throwback and modern elements. Of course it wasn't perfect--the sleeve logos were extraneous and the numbers probably didn't need a gold outline--but it was a great attempt to modernize their look.

e62f1345f154b61feb30015292032090.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived