Bad Uniforms/Logos made classic by Good Teams

chcarlson23

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it is the Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Cowboys. None of the jersey's for either teams are anything but ugly and yet they are considered classic.

The Lakers logo is boring and generic, and since the Cowboys still have the mismatched mess of uniforms, I completely agree with both.

The Bulls logo really should get updated but I don't mind the logo as it is. It's just crazy to me that they haven't changed their logo once since becoming a franchise.

Come to think of it, has any Chicago franchise overhauled its logo? Other than slight updates or even the introduction of a new secondary logo, all identities have remained virtually the same.

How about the Yankees' pinstripes? There's nothing that really stands out about them in any way. Just simple pinstripes with the Yankees logo on the chest, and a navy blue hat also with a Yankees logo. Note the fact that the two Yankees logos on the uniform are similar but not the same.

How about the Yankees' pinstripes? There's nothing that really stands out about them in any way. Just simple pinstripes with the Yankees logo on the chest, and a navy blue hat also with a Yankees logo. Note the fact that the two Yankees logos on the uniform are similar but not the same.

Anyone who owns or has ever owned a set of Yankee pinstripes knows those pinstripes are made unlike any other pinstripe set currently in use.

The Bulls logo really should get updated but I don't mind the logo as it is. It's just crazy to me that they haven't changed their logo once since becoming a franchise.

Come to think of it, has any Chicago franchise overhauled its logo? Other than slight updates or even the introduction of a new secondary logo, all identities have remained virtually the same.

The White Sox have plenty of times...

quebec.jpg

Don't care how much the Nordiques need to come back, this really doesn't have to.

Not exactly a lot of "good" associated with that logo. Nordiques were a tire fire for most of their NHL existence only being over .500 six times in 16 years. .

but they were around before their 'NHL existence'

preview_674_2957.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 3 weeks later...

White Sox. Granted, it's been a long time since their most recent change, but they have an interesting uniform history to say the least.

I remember when the Twins were the last team with nameplates on pinstripes. People here thought it looked "cheap." They were right. But looks pretty much seamless compared to the Flyers contrasting nameplates. The 1980s update was beautiful.

I loved when the Twins and Marlins did it. The Pirates also did it for their ill-advised pinstriped road set in the '90s (which I also loved). It was quirky and wrong, but I just liked the look if it.

I also enjoyed the Pirates' '90s pinstriped road set---especially with the gray cap. For some reason I love white or gray caps in baseball---maybe just because they look "old-timey." Okay, that's enough off-topic-ness from me.

pittsburgh_penguins_1993-1999.png

This fits the definition, for me, perfectly. I have great memories growing up of classic eastern conference playoff series with these penguins. They were better times (i miss you gary thorne and steve levy). But I simply don't get the love for this logo. It is horrendous. I'm pretty sure a 6th grader drew this during math class and submitted it to the branding department while they were drunk. And don't even get me started on their road uniforms from that era. Those would be the equivalent of the Jags unis if they came out today.

pittsburgh_penguins_1993-1999.png

This fits the definition, for me, perfectly. I have great memories growing up of classic eastern conference playoff series with these penguins. They were better times (i miss you gary thorne and steve levy). But I simply don't get the love for this logo. It is horrendous. I'm pretty sure a 6th grader drew this during math class and submitted it to the branding department while they were drunk. And don't even get me started on their road uniforms from that era. Those would be the equivalent of the Jags unis if they came out today.

I guess this is just personal preference then... The Robo-Penguin uniforms were great! The logo wasn't the best they've had, but it worked. As for a sixth grader drawing it, that means it's easily identifiable and simple enough to draw. The Skating Penguin in the Triangle is the same way, but I'm gonna take a guess and say you love it... :D

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I think the Bulls logo fits the theme of this thread. OK, it's not "bad" but I think it's an OK logo that's been propped up to "great" by a dominant 1990s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I know you can't fully divorce the history from the artwork, but I can't think of another NBA logo that's as concise and effective as the Bulls' logo. It's symmetrical, there's no basketball, no clutter of any sort.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

quebec.jpg

Don't care how much the Nordiques need to come back, this really doesn't have to.

Agreed, this logo is atrocious

That Nordiques logo is soooooooo 1970s.

When I was a kid I did not recognize the igloo, the N, the stick, or the puck. I did not know what the hell it was...I feel like there were a lot of abstract logos in the 70s but maybe I just did not "get" them.

Anyway, I am thinking of all the young punks that say "you only like that for nostalgia." While that comment is most often ignorant and pulled out as some "trump card" to shut us geezers up, I really do feel that the positive feeling I get for that logo is pretty much based on nostalgia. That represents a time when there were so many great NHL uniforms and so few awful ones. It also represents a time for me when the NHL was my #1 and I had the North Stars. But really, while I would love to see Quebec City get a team and would be OK with a "Cleveland Winnipeg Deal" I don't think the logo should be brought back. It belongs in the places we go to be nostalgic. The original Nords have been gone for 20 years (and that logo was to be gone either way). The new Nords would be best served by a new logo.

Im on the believe that all teams should be given the type of deal Cleveland got, but not the purpose

While I like the Nordiques logo, and think it should be a third, they should just resume with the logos and jerseys they would have used if not for the move

288.gif

c72hgmvtcvxu8bmqvogo.gif

Totally disagree. At first, I couldn't figure it out that the logo was an "Igloo-N". Kind of like figuring out the Montreal Expos' "ebM". However, the Igloo-N's appearance screams "Quebec Nordiques" just like the CH screams "Montreal Canadiens" or the Stick in Rink screams "Vancouver Canucks".

Simple is more in my book. I just hope a Nordiques 2.0 never make that Husky logo a primary. It's "Nordiques", not "Huskies". Like "Canucks", not "Orcas" and "Sabres, not "Slugs".

Archived