Bad Uniforms/Logos made classic by Good Teams

chcarlson23

"The Wild's jerseys are mismatched and that's terrible!"

"Colorado's [old] third jersey shouldn't have a wordmark down the chest, that's for the Rangers!"

"Winnipeg's logo is so basic and bland, it's just boring"

And those same people love this:

Penguins24.png

Nostalgia and good teams is the only explanation for this being loved.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.png

It's considered to be one of the most iconic logos in sports, but it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly executed and horribly outdated.

Couldn't agree more, I can't stand it. Besides the cartoonishness, it drives me nuts that the "I" reaches further than the "S" and that it goes into the island (unless I'm missing something creative there?). And because the "N" is cut off by the circle, it creates the optical illusion that the left part of the N is wider and taller than the right.

With that said, I would love for them to keep with the theme of this logo and just update it to make it look more modern. It's classic but could use a serious makeover.

You are. The I is pointing to where on the island Nassau Coliseum is located. But that's moot not that they play in Brooklyn.

Which is why the Islanders should adopt this logo:

logo-islanders-with-bklyn-and-queens_zps

Keeps the classic theme going, but adds Brooklyn and Queens back to Long Island and once again the I points to their home ice.

That version of the logo, which was made by Discogod, is perfect. It completely retains the overall aesthetic, while making a subtle change that acknowledges reality.

As you mentioned, the I in this proposed update points to the team's current home arena, just as the I in the current logo points to the forder arena. Also, this logo is superior to the actual one in that the first S is beautifully shadowed by Jamaica Bay in the map of the complete island.

The team's failure to alter the logo to something like this is baffling and annoying. For that reason, I prefer the NY logo without the island that appears on the black jersey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.png

It's considered to be one of the most iconic logos in sports, but it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly executed and horribly outdated.

Couldn't agree more, I can't stand it. Besides the cartoonishness, it drives me nuts that the "I" reaches further than the "S" and that it goes into the island (unless I'm missing something creative there?). And because the "N" is cut off by the circle, it creates the optical illusion that the left part of the N is wider and taller than the right.

With that said, I would love for them to keep with the theme of this logo and just update it to make it look more modern. It's classic but could use a serious makeover.

You are. The I is pointing to where on the island Nassau Coliseum is located. But that's moot not that they play in Brooklyn.

Which is why the Islanders should adopt this logo:

logo-islanders-with-bklyn-and-queens_zps

Keeps the classic theme going, but adds Brooklyn and Queens back to Long Island and once again the I points to their home ice.

That version of the logo, which was made by Discogod, is perfect. It completely retains the overall aesthetic, while making a subtle change that acknowledges reality.

As you mentioned, the I in this proposed update points to the team's current home arena, just as the I in the current logo points to the former arena. Also, this logo is superior to the actual one in that the first S is beautifully shadowed by Jamaica Bay in the map of the complete island.

The team's failure to alter the logo to something like this is baffling and annoying. For that reason, I prefer the NY logo without the island that appears on the black jersey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

espnny_mets86_576.jpg

These uniforms are only popular because they had success in these and won the world series.

mets+bobby_jones.jpg

Then again, Mets had success in 1999 and 2000 in these and they are despised by many Met fans. I personally liked them, I thought the Mets were the only team that adopted the black color and made it work.

XM4KeeA.png

mets+bobby_jones.jpg

Then again, Mets had success in 1999 and 2000 in these and they are despised by many Met fans. I personally liked them, I thought the Mets were the only team that adopted the black color and made it work.

That could be at least in part due to the fact that the Mets' classic unis and cap were a mashup of the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers. Incorporating one of those team's primary colors was less likely to clash with the original scheme than the typical BFBS addition. And I do agree that the Mets' incorporation of black wasn't too bad.

Maybe we need some fashion police who have no clue about sports to give us a real answer. Other than the Packers fitting a B in w/ the G within the oval and going to the 84-88 sleeves, we look pretty damn good. There may be a kick ass logo of a dude packing meat in a crate that would look awesome to someone who's never watched sports, and make the rest of us say, "uh no, that just aint the Packers".

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2016 at 10:03 AM, Hrundi V. Bakshi said:

That could be at least in part due to the fact that the Mets' classic unis and cap were a mashup of the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers. Incorporating one of those team's primary colors was less likely to clash with the original scheme than the typical BFBS addition. And I do agree that the Mets' incorporation of black wasn't too bad.

I thought the Mets' incorporation of black was awful, but that might have been due to its overuse and the excessive drop-shadowing. It was a very late-90s look.

Archived