MLB All-Star Games: No more AL-NL alternating

hubsportsfan17

I am not sure this is fair really- it means only rich teams can host the all star game, either that or teams will rush to build new arenas that aren't properly financed and bankrupt there team, this strikes me as typical Selig rubbish really!

Also I think its cool that the All Star game can be in an old historic ball park (not that there are too many of those around!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I am not sure this is fair really- it means only rich teams can host the all star game, either that or teams will rush to build new arenas that aren't properly financed and bankrupt there team, this strikes me as typical Selig rubbish really!

Also I think its cool that the All Star game can be in an old historic ball park (not that there are too many of those around!)

It doesn't necessarily mean that "rich" teams get to host the All-Star Game: it's all about the teams that are successful in getting the public to fund their new stadium construction. Regardless of your point of view on the "stadium game" (I'm working towards becoming an architect BUT I'm also fiscally conservative at the same time, so I'm conflicted on the issue), it's not a fair way to decide who gets to host the All-Star Game. It's time for Selig to end his run as commish, because lately he can't make the right decisions and it's time we had somebody who can...

QPR%20Sig.png

Kauffman Stadium, one of the most beatiful ballparks in the country, hasn't had the ASG for 30years. UH, hey BUD, wanna slide one back here sometime this century? What's that....oh our Ballpark isn't 60-70 thousand....so what. Huh...something else....we are a small market....who gives a :censored:! Just another reason to get rid of the Ass Pilot.

I don't think there's a discernable home field advantage in the All-Star game itself, aside from the host league's players being more familiar with the ballpark than the other league's.

That said, getting an All-Star game and its accompanying revenue for a city sounds like something a greedy owner would play up to extort a new stadium out of a locality.

oh our Ballpark isn't 60-70 thousand

That doesn't matter since Pittsburgh was selected and it hold less that 40,000. In fact most of the new ballparks only hold in 40,000's.

This is wrong, fortunatly the All-Star game detirmining home-field advantage has run up after this year ans the players don't want it. If that does get extended this really wrong because the NL will have the home-field every year for the All-star game.

What makes it more not even right is when the AL had all new parks the didn't get rid of alternating and have just AL, 3 Rivers and the Vet still got games. This is wrong!!!!

Kauffman Stadium, one of the most beatiful ballparks in the country, hasn't had the ASG for 30years. UH, hey BUD, wanna slide one back here sometime this century? What's that....oh our Ballpark isn't 60-70 thousand....so what. Huh...something else....we are a small market....who gives a :censored:! Just another reason to get rid of the Ass Pilot.

If not beautiful, than at least architecturally unique. It's the only baseball stadium from the 1970's that broke the mold of multi-sport, cookie-cutter stadia in the country. Consequently, the cookie-cutters went out of style (only one is still standing -- Busch Stadium -- but not for long), but Kaufman is still there and still looks pretty much the same as it did when it was first built (save for ripping out the Astroturf).

From everything I've read and seen, Kansas City does have a reputation for cutting-edge architecture, sometimes at the expense of the building's functionality (see the KC Hyatt and Kemper Arena roof collapses). I can't wait until I'm working for HOK or Ellerbe Becket in a few years...

QPR%20Sig.png

Back in 1950, Cominskey Park hosted the ASG, and in 1951, Detroit hosted the contest. Both are American League cities, so I see no problem with the Senior Circut hosting back-to-back ASGs in 2006 (Pittsburgh) and 2007 (TBA), with the AL (New Cominskey? Sorry, USCellular) hosting the 75th Anniversary game.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Back in 1950, Cominskey Park hosted the ASG, and in 1951, Detroit hosted the contest. Both are American League cities, so I see no problem with the Senior Circut hosting back-to-back ASGs in 2006 (Pittsburgh) and 2007 (TBA), with the AL (New Cominskey? Sorry, USCellular) hosting the 75th Anniversary game.

But Comiskey just hosted the All-Star Game in 2003, so it's gonna be a while before they get it again...

QPR%20Sig.png

At first I was wondering why 2008 would be the 75th ANNIVERSARY game, but this years was the 75th all-star game. Then, I found out from 1959-1962 there were two all-star games in the same year, to boost players' pension. $$

I saw, I came, I left.

Bud Selig is a moron. It shoudl stay on an alternating basis and every team should have oppertunity to host, and thus a minimum of 20 years should pass between a team hosting the game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

the game should be alternated between AL and NL cities. when it comes time in the rotation for a city that doesn;t want it (Yankees and maybe Mets, for example) then you can skip to another team in the league, maybe to the newer stadium. There have been a few cities that hosted the game a few times in a relatively short span...

San Diego...1978, 1992 (14 years)

Philadelphia...1976, 1996 (20 years)

Pittsburgh...2006, 1994 (8 yrs), 1974 3 in 22 years

Minnesota...1965, 1985 (20 yrs, 2 different stadiums)

Cleveland...1963, 1981 (19 yrs), 1997 (16), 3 times in 36 yrs

it might be a stretch to go back over 40 years, but some teams get the game on average once every 12 years. Fenway went almost 40 years between games. KC has been about 30 years. I would rather see SBC than PNC for the game.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived