Jump to content

North American Pro Soccer 2016


Gothamite
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/2/2016 at 1:37 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Estimates that I have seen place MLS even with the Championship, the second division in England

 

Most estimates I've seen have placed MLS with League One.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Union probably wouldn't even beat Yeovil Town or Cambridge United, bottom feeders of League Two. Most MLS clubs would probably fair well or at least be competitive in League One but only a couple would be competitive in the Championship League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else going to the qualifier in Jacksonville tomorrow?

 

Be my second time seeing the national team, hoping for a better result than the first time, when they lost their first ever first round Gold Cup game iirc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

The Union probably wouldn't even beat Yeovil Town or Cambridge United, bottom feeders of League Two.

 

You probably mean the Fire because the Union are doing alright this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, twi said:

Anyone else going to the qualifier in Jacksonville tomorrow?

 

Be my second time seeing the national team, hoping for a better result than the first time, when they lost their first ever first round Gold Cup game iirc. 

 Looks like you're getting your money's worth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

It must suck for Canada that they finally have their best game but get screwed over by Mexico laying an egg against Honduras.

So encredibly frustrating. 

 

That said, play like that on a more consitant basis and maybe you wouldn't have to rely on another team to help you qualify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought I had during Copa America, and brought to my attention today, but could there be a time where CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merge?

 

This article provides some detail:

 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/02/could-us-keep-if-concacaf-conmebol-merged

 

If not, maybe a realignment of World Cup slots could be done...UEFA honestly doesn't need more than 12 or even 10. Id prefer 10 for UEFA, 10 for CONMEBOL/CONCACAF, 6 for CAF, and 5 for AFC/OFC. 1 for the host of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Thought I had during Copa America, and brought to my attention today, but could there be a time where CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merge?

 

This article provides some detail:

 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/02/could-us-keep-if-concacaf-conmebol-merged

 

If not, maybe a realignment of World Cup slots could be done...UEFA honestly doesn't need more than 12 or even 10. Id prefer 10 for UEFA, 10 for CONMEBOL/CONCACAF, 6 for CAF, and 5 for AFC/OFC. 1 for the host of course.

With so many teams in CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, over 46, the US, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Brasil and Chile would probably demand seeded tournaments to avoid 3 or 4 big teams playing in a group together, similar to how UEFA has moved to World Cup qualifying. That way, the big name teams would have to be god awful not to make the tournament. That's 7 teams for probably 9 guaranteed slots and a playoff spot. So that leaves 2 to 3 spots for 39 other teams to fight over. Hopefully it would get teams in CONCACAF to up their support and work rates to keep up with CONMEBOL teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

They've really run their league into the ground. 

 

The expansion decisions of the last couple years show how disorganized they are - awarding franchises to ownership groups in Virginia and Hartford who then failed to actually put teams together. Trying to put a second(!) team in Oklahoma City, funded by a historically Spanish second-division side that, surprise surprise, got relegated back into the second division and is now slashing costs.  Allowing a second team in South Florida to cannibalize the market of another franchise, a founding member, that's already struggling.   

 

And when that Miami team comes out with a sexist "come gawk at the hot girls at our game" promotion, the NASL throws up its hands and claims that they can't possibly be expected to exercise any institutional control over their member clubs.

 

All the while, they're making noise abut how they should be a major league.  The NASL can't even run a stable minor league, and somehow US Soccer is at fault for not letting them fail at a higher level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The expansion decisions of the last couple years show how disorganized they are - awarding franchises to ownership groups in Virginia and Hartford who then failed to actually put teams together. Trying to put a second(!) team in Oklahoma City, funded by a historically Spanish second-division side that, surprise surprise, got relegated back into the second division and is now slashing costs.  Allowing a second team in South Florida to cannibalize the market of another franchise, a founding member, that's already struggling.

 

The Strikers are in really bad shape. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended operations next year.

 

My dream scenario out of this is that the remaining healthy NASL teams (except the Cosmos*) go to the USL and work something out where the independent clubs and "2" teams can play in separate leagues.

 

*My hope for the 'Mos is that their mysterious ownership finds a way to buy RBNY from Red Bull (that team needs a spark PR wise and I don't want that team to turn into a Leipzig feeder club like Salzburg).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

My dream scenario out of this is that the remaining healthy NASL teams (except the Cosmos*) go to the USL and work something out where the independent clubs and "2" teams can play in separate leagues.

 

I think "independent" is a bit misleading - we need to draw a distinction between affiliated teams and II teams.  

 

I dont see any reason why a team like the Bethlehem Steel or Rochester Rhinos can't compete in the second division, though one is affiliated with an MLS side and the other is owned outright by one. That seems to me to be a very different situation than Timbers2 or RBII, where the parent club appears to consider only their player development value. 

 

As for the Cosmos, I give them a 50/50 chance of folding if the NASL shuts down.  I think they're really only interested in D1, and saw the NASL as a way around MLS.  If that path is closed off, I'm not sure that their owners (whoever they are) are interested in the continued financial losses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.