North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

I don't know if a move to Manhattan would itself be enough to triple their attendance, which would be needed to make a 17,000 seat stadium look less cavernous.

They need to overhaul pretty much everything they're doing off the pitch.  Their first team plays well, but is totally underserved by the entire organization.  Advertising is minimal, gameday experience is pathetic.  They appear to have given up on selling merchandise, based on the two-dozen total items in their online shop (some of which have been gathering dust since 2010).  They have zero presence in the soccer community, even though they've partnered with great local organizations like Brooklyn Italians.

So yeah, moving to a stadium actually on a subway line would help.  But that can only be the tip of the iceberg.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Now there is talk of the Rowdies possibly leaving the NASL...

If they go to the USL then they will pretty much have D2 status in the bag.

I heard rumors of TB and Ottawa making the move a few weeks back, did you find more info?

TB is the Rowdies.  Whispers and rumors, nothing more than that yet. 

As for the reasons behind a potential move, USSF has as yet declined to make a decision on either USL's application for D2 or the NASL's application for D1.  I think they're waiting to see what happens with the NASL.  The Rowdies are making noises about leaving, as are the Ottawa Fury (who are rumored to tread water in the USL for one year until the new Canadian League is ready). 

If that happens, it will be a severe blow to the NASL, but not necessarily a fatal one. 

I still think that any D2 USL must by necessity leave the MLS reserve sides behind. But they could pretty easily split into a D2 league and a D1 league, with the strongest teams from the NASL moving over.  

Interestingly, there was a report that the USL would not accept the Cosmos, presumably because of their antagonistic relationship with MLS. The Cosmos are widely believed to have been one of the driving forces behind the NASL's attempt to claim D1 status. 

Watching DC United vs NY City. Never understood why DCU never bothered putting temp bleachers behinds the nets after RFK was renovated for the Nationals. There's certainly enough room to do it. The dual stands seating arrangement of the post Nats RFK has bothered me for years.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wha-?  Is it already time to replace the country's first Soccer-Specific Stadium?

It is when it was built on the cheap.$29-34 million dollars depending on who you ask.

Downside is Columbus and Franklin County are taking a bath on Nationwide Arena after they bought it from the private sector since gaming revenues aren't as much as promised. 

Columbus looks kind of crappy on TV, TBH. It's a pretty spartan experience, and it looks like most of the seats are bleachers.

However, that doesn't mean they need a new stadium. The Dolphins and TFC have recently shown you can have a very handsome rebuild/renovation without the absurdity of ditching a stadium less than a generation old.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Got it, thanks.  And now that I think about it, 1998 was a whole ago.  If Turner Field is being replaced, why not Columbus?

Columbus has a double whammy as it easily has the worst training facility in the league too. They've been start/stop on trying to bilk a municipality for a facility since 2007. Their last and current attempt is tied with the possibility of the Browns moving their training camp to the Columbus area.

Quick note (late to the party) but Ottawa is going to the CPL. The ownership is the same as the REDBLACKS and the CFL is heavily involved with the CPL. moving on.......

@DG_Now is right. Renovations over a new facility. There is nothing wrong with their stadium. 

That said, BMO is not the best example. It was a affordable stadium built by the city that never expected that a soccer team could draw well. They've been playing catch up ever since. 

But the point stands. Upgrade, don't replace. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Canadian Premier League being at the level of an NASL or USL would be a massive step forward for the sorry national team. NASL/USL soccer is of a decent quality and I have a lot of very fond memories of Saputo for those years. 

Travel costs are always a burden for lower level soccer leagues- the CFL has a partnership with Canadian North and I think some of the teams have CN Rail deals (at least the Als do?) so hopefully that gets sorted out early on. 

Archived