North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

It's not like Saunders is all that great anyways and, lets be honest, his team was playing a not so good Crew team and had the advantage against Toronto in the standings.

Slight advantage at that - if Toronto won, then we needed to win.  A draw wouldn't have helped us.  And given the first half of the match, the Crew could well have won.

No, Saunders hasn't been all that great.  But they've stuck with him this far.   We just thought it was funny that they celebrated "Fan Appreciation Day" by finally benching the keeper we've been asking them to bench. ;)

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, 2001mark said:

TFC have to win their opener or else I will throw ice cubes randomly at trees in my backyard.

Don't worry. The Union haven't won a game in like two months. TFC is already into the next round.

14 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You can't ignore this http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/07/fc-cincinnati-usl-john-harkes-mls/

Are we too late for expansion to MLS? Are we too close to Columbus? 

Crew Stadium is a giant high school football stadium, but I like it. I don't see a need for a new one, other than a better location. They could make improvements to the already existing structure and it would presumably be a much cheaper solution. 

I don't know the league politics of this, but I'd almost say that relocating Columbus to Cincinnati would be a better idea. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'm pretty sure the various Crew Stadium Dos a Cero games means MLS never leaves Columbus.

Check out those baggy jerseys!

Also, I miss Eddie Johnson :(

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I don't know the league politics of this, but I'd almost say that relocating Columbus to Cincinnati would be a better idea. 

MLS allowing an original member to move is one thing. Moving into a football stadium that is not being shared with a team owned by a member of the league? Can't see that happening. Cincinnatti still has time to get in before 2028 so they should work on a permanent home there rather than pulling another team into a refurbished ground. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, alexandre said:

...and Ottawa makes it official. San Francisco (and their ugly crest) is joining NASL, but that's very concerning. NASL is the Indy Eleven Soccer League now...

There are reports that every NASL team save Indy have at least had conversations about jumping ship. 

And that the Cosmos' owners were told they aren't welcome in the USL. 

I'm not totally up to date on the story, but I wonder if finally having a concrete (and large) 2nd division that also happens to have a lot of MLS reserve teams is a good thing overall. USL has been around long enough and is seemingly fairly stable (despite the enormous and sudden growth). They seem to have done a decent job of regulating travel costs by clustering the teams. 

The move from some NASL mainstays to USL is a good thing overall. A second division tier is a great idea, but the NASL wasn't ever satisfied being that second tier, so its organizational priorities were misplaced.

Of course, a 40-team USL doesn't really help anyone, but who knows the best path forward. Maybe you could do some sort of pro/rel among the lower tiers; that could be fun. Or just keep the development teams among themselves and Rowdies/Rhinos/Fury/etc separate.

But in general, this does seem like a good thing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The move from some NASL mainstays to USL is a good thing overall. A second division tier is a great idea, but the NASL wasn't ever satisfied being that second tier, so its organizational priorities were misplaced.

Of course, a 40-team USL doesn't really help anyone, but who knows the best path forward. Maybe you could do some sort of pro/rel among the lower tiers; that could be fun. Or just keep the development teams among themselves and Rowdies/Rhinos/Fury/etc separate.

But in general, this does seem like a good thing.

I looked at 2016 schedules, it looks like the USL tends to keep the east and west separate in the regular season and playoffs.  It's essentially 2 separate "leagues" under the same umbrella.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, McCarthy said:

You can't ignore this http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/07/fc-cincinnati-usl-john-harkes-mls/

Are we too late for expansion to MLS? Are we too close to Columbus?

Cincy is definitely going to get an expansion team so you don't need to worry.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And that the Cosmos' owners were told they aren't welcome in the USL. 

I'm also going to predict that the Cosmos are going to get themselves involved with the ownership of the Red Bulls somehow. They have to figure out by now that the NASL is a sinking ship and they don't have any league to go to (can you imagine the 'Mos in the CPL or NPSL?) after it eventually dies off.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

28 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Cincy is definitely going to get an expansion team so you don't need to worry.

I'm also going to predict that the Cosmos are going to get themselves involved with the ownership of the Red Bulls somehow. They have to figure out by now that the NASL is a sinking ship and they don't have any league to go to (can you imagine the 'Mos in the CPL or NPSL?) after it eventually dies off.

The biggest question with FC Cincinnati is that they have essentially 14 years left on their Nippert Stadium lease. It is to automatically renew every three years.  While it's really inexpensive ($5K/game), they also use Nippert as their training ground for next season at a minimum. A move up would likely require a bigger rent and it isn't like ancillary revenues like parking and concessions are currently going their way.

Plus as long as they are in the USL, playing in Nippert also runs against the USL goal of SSS for each member club by 2020.

Finally.  Now don't stop.

TSN kept it on TSN2 which I don't have, even though I was at work all night.  

They aired the Raptors opener on each of their 4 other channels.  lols

& they wonder why Sportsnet is more inviting... they don't monopolize their channels with the same event.

Don't tell me that TSN is the place to be when you make me pay more for a single channel's coverage.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived