Jump to content

North American Pro Soccer 2016


Gothamite
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides that yelling at then end of the video (and keeping in mind that I'm a massive TFC fan who though, while in the stands, that Villa deserved a red) I can't argue Borg on this. Cooper and Villa were matched up intentionally. If Cooper was sent off TFC would live to play another day. He obviously was trying to get a reaction from Villa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With expansion, adding more teams for opening single game playoffs is fine with me.  We love playoffs & if cities can root for local MLS clubs after their MLB teams are gonzo, all the better.  NBA & NHL ride that nicely in the spring, & it's really good when 8 different cities can root for a team during both semi finals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the second division, the Cosmos announced yesterday that if they host the NASL final (they are the top seed going into the playoffs), it will be at Belson Stadium at St. John's University in Queens.  They can't play at their regular stadium, as it's hosting the Colonial Athletic Association conference final that afternoon.

 

BelsonStadium.jpg

 

The announcement was immediately met with howls of derision, since it only holds 2,600 fans.  It is reportedly expandable to 5,000 in a pinch, but the Cosmos have said that they won't do that.

 

This is the flagship franchise of the NASL, and they can't find a better place than this rinky-dink park.  Pretty embarrassing for a league seen as being in serious danger of folding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

In the second division, the Cosmos announced yesterday that if they host the NASL final (they are the top seed going into the playoffs), it will be at Belson Stadium at St. John's University in Queens.  They can't play at their regular stadium, as it's hosting the Colonial Athletic Association conference final that afternoon.

 

BelsonStadium.jpg

 

The announcement was immediately met with howls of derision, since it only holds 2,600 fans.  It is reportedly expandable to 5,000 in a pinch, but the Cosmos have said that they won't do that.

 

This is the flagship franchise of the NASL, and they can't find a better place than this rinky-dink park.  Pretty embarrassing for a league seen as being in serious danger of folding.

Beggars can't be choosers.

For St. John's to paraphrase a line from "Trading Places", "But it's small (cheap), it's clean and it's all mine."

 

The stadium isn't rinky-dink, Cosmos management is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Red Bull were never actually for sale.  That was just a rumor.

 

Belson Stadium isn't even "all (theirs)".  It's another borrowed venue, but a crummier borrowed venue than their regular crummy borrowed venue.

You didn't get the context of the quote.

 

SJU is Ophelia while the Cosmos (and their guests, like you) are Winthrope.

 

If you're upset about venues which are not up to your standards or expectations, then change your expectations to match that of what the Cosmos are willing to provide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

For as much as the NASL experience has diluted the Cosmos brand, there's still value in it. It's a shame it won't have been incorporated into the MLS.

 

And we sure don't need a third NYC MLS team.

 

London has 5 in the Premier League. Let NY and LA stockpile as many as they can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, winters in buffalo said:

 

London has 5 in the Premier League. Let NY and LA stockpile as many as they can. 

 

The problem with this is that there isn't enough fans of domestic soccer to justify having more than 2 teams in NY & LA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

Expect this league to be "CFL soccer" in terms of market. Donno why NHL was mentioned in this article. 

 

I know Duane for talking to him at games/viewing parties. He knows what he's talking about. 

 

Some thoughts from me;

 

1- scaling the domestic quota up. That's the key to this league. If they want to develop Canadians to give them an avenue to play top level professional soccer (and thusly help develop the Canadian National Team) they need to be a little relaxed at first to help fill the initial rosters.

 

2- all 3 Canadian MLS clubs should be involved. I'd love them all to have a club to help develop their academy players but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Apparently TFC won't be allowed to treat this league as a feeder league so it seems it's useless for them to participate at all. That makes me skeptical as to what the goal is of this league. 

 

3 - DPs.... not sure that's needed. Again. Developing Canadian Soccer, not trying to compete with MLS. 

 

4 - wouldn't be surprised at all if London gets a team, even though it isn't a lock right now. 

 

as for the rest....seems to be what has been reported all along. Expect all these teams to play in CFL Stadiums (except Toronto). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2016 at 1:25 AM, DG_Now said:

For as much as the NASL experience has diluted the Cosmos brand, there's still value in it. It's a shame it won't have been incorporated into the MLS.

 

And we sure don't need a third NYC MLS team.

 

Technically if the Cosmos or some other side from NY comes into the MLS it will only be two sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.