Jump to content

North American Pro Soccer 2016


Gothamite
 Share

Recommended Posts

The only time I ever want to see a Cosmos 3.0 is if its MLS as a rebranded RBNY (a third NYC team is never happening so don't even think about it). Otherwise just keep the rights to the Cosmos brand in a vault somewhere.

 

Also :censored: you current Cosmos ownership for not paying your staff.

 

Quote

Meanwhile, team staff and front office continue on their second week of furloughs, which will now likely become a mass layoff for the organization. Many office staff are now bracing for their third consecutive billing cycle without pay, equating to nearly six weeks of unpaid wages.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

The only time I ever want to see a Cosmos 3.0 is if its MLS as a rebranded RBNY (a third NYC team is never happening so don't even think about it). Otherwise just keep the right to the Cosmos brand in a vault somewhere.

 

Also :censored: you current Cosmos ownership for not paying your staff.

 

 

 

I'd like to see the Cosmos name gone forever at this point like the Caribou of Colorado. Cosmos is permanently stained with the smell of abject failure. Made all the worse because they were now arguably responsible for the death of 2 versions of the NASL, so not only are they failures themselves, but they've got a history of taking everyone else around them down too.

 

No if RBNY ever rebrands it should be back to Metrostars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

I'd like to see the Cosmos name gone forever at this point like the Caribou of Colorado. Cosmos is permanently stained with the smell of abject failure. Made all the worse because they were now arguably responsible for the death of 2 version of the NASL, so not only are they failures themselves, but they've got a history of taking everyone else around them down too.

 

No if RBNY ever rebrands it should be back to Metrostars.

 

Metrostars would be the top choice for me as well.

 

I'm just saying that the only way for a Cosmos 3.0 to ever work is if its in MLS under single-entity like every other team. Not slumming it in the lower divisions playing in front of 2000 fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years ago I bought a Cosmos T-shirt at a Ross store. It's one of the very few American club soccer merchandise pieces I've ever seen there.

 

I don't think the last go-round killed the brand because more people ignored it than paid attention to it. But I would wager "Cosmos" remains more valuable and identifiable than RBNY, MetroStars or even NYCFC ever will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

A few years ago I bought a Cosmos T-shirt at a Ross store. It's one of the very few American club soccer merchandise pieces I've ever seen there.

 

I don't think the last go-round killed the brand because more people ignored it than paid attention to it. But I would wager "Cosmos" remains more valuable and identifiable than RBNY, MetroStars or even NYCFC ever will be.

 

I doubt that will last for long. This version of the Cosmos didn't make much of an impact (other than the crater they left in D2 soccer). And the last Cosmos are now a distant memory. The more time passes, the less of a brand it will be. Remember it's been 35 years since the real Cosmos last played a game so almost 2 generations are now around who've never seen them play. Meanwhile the 2 MLS sides have been around for 20 and 4 years respectively. And will continue to be relevant as long as they're still playing, and growing with their league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I doubt that will last for long. This version of the Cosmos didn't make much of an impact (other than the crater they left in D2 soccer). And the last Cosmos are now a distant memory. The more time passes, the less of a brand it will be. Remember it's been 35 years since the real Cosmos last played a game so almost 2 generations are now around who've never seen them play. Meanwhile the 2 MLS sides have been around for 20 and 4 years respectively. And will continue to be relevant as long as they're still playing, and growing with their league.

 

The original Cosmos will always be remembered as one of the most iconic teams ever assembled in the history of sport and people are still going to remember the Pele teams. Cosmos 2.0 are going to be forgotten along with the blue and yellow years of the original Cosmos after Pele left.

 

It's going to take a long time for NYCFC & the Red Bulls to ever equal that if they can even do that. I don't even think the Red Bulls cam ever do it just because of the way they're branded and promoted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that, but objectively:

 

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/52/1388/full/7kmxeu5r9imtthgh0isfa2vis.gif

 

is superior to this:

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_york_city_fc_logo_detail.jpg

 

and this:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/9/1485/full/6990.gif

 

That's not to say NYCFC has bad branding; it doesn't. I own a scarf of theirs in part because it looks cool. But you wouldn't create the Cosmos identity if you were creating a team from scratch today, and I think that makes it more special. It's just more timeless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

I get that, but objectively:

 

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/52/1388/full/7kmxeu5r9imtthgh0isfa2vis.gif

 

is superior to this:

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_york_city_fc_logo_detail.jpg

 

and this:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/9/1485/full/6990.gif

 

That's not to say NYCFC has bad branding; it doesn't. I own a scarf of theirs in part because it looks cool. But you wouldn't create the Cosmos identity if you were creating a team from scratch today, and I think that makes it more special. It's just more timeless.

 

We'll have to disagree. I can't divorce the killing of two leagues from the Cosmos logo (yes I know the new one isn't identical but the same basic logo is used as the base) as for me they come as part of the same package. NYCFC may be a tad generic but it's a classic logo in and of itself. The Metrostars logo I'll grant you visually isn't as good, but frankly I think it would look great on a scarf and such and has it's own sense of nostalgia to it as I don't think a team today would use that either. It screams 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following the news on Twitter as it unfolds. Leaked yesterday that Railhawks are becoming North Carolina FC: http://www.northcarolinafc.com/

 

Key points so far: pursuing an MLS franchise, an NWSL team and a new stadium. 

 

I'm reserving judgement on the rebranding, but eager to support the rest of the efforts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, winters in buffalo said:

Following the news on Twitter as it unfolds. Leaked yesterday that Railhawks are becoming North Carolina FC: http://www.northcarolinafc.com/

 

Key points so far: pursuing an MLS franchise, an NWSL team and a new stadium. 

 

I'm reserving judgement on the rebranding, but eager to support the rest of the efforts.

NC FC GTFO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't really blame the folks at North Carolina FC for looking at the current trends among teams entering the league and figured that a rebrand would help rejuvenate their brand and push it into the promise land of MLS. I like it.

 

Besides "Carolina Railhawks" sounds like a minor league baseball team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year when the NLL's Edmonton Rush won the championship and then promptly moved to Saskatoon, I thought it couldn't get any more embarrassing for a pro sports league.

 

It took the NASL and the Cosmos all of 18 months to prove me wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love if that Rowdies stadium became reality. A bigger home for a new league, without being too big to reliably fill AND maintaining the amazing environmental characteristics that we fans do now in the smaller one? Win win. Add in the facts that it would be all private funded (so far) and that it fits in the existing available footprint and it's almost a dream too good to believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7.12.2016 at 0:10 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Tampa Bay Rowdies are launching campaign to bring MLS to Tampa Bay (St Pete specifically)

 

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2016/12/06/rowdies-launch-campaign-to-bring-major-league.html

 

Stadium rendering included on the link.  Note that the smaller portion is the current Al Lang Stadium structure.

 

 

 

This stadium is really cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so intrigued as to how they maintain to keep the old venue (left structure and old spring training ballpark) and add the new portion (right structure) and keep it on the same current footprint.  Not bad for a proposed 18,000 seats.

 

Im pretty sure the current portion (left) seats about 6500 or so.

 

Al-Lang-Renovation-1-1024x576.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.