North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

It looks pretty cool, and the view of the harbor will be amazing from inside, but that arrangement looks like it'll kill atmosphere.  You have what looks like almost a third of the stadium without any seats.  Some may be taken up with standing patios, but that's not really a replacement. 

I know they feel hemmed in by Bayshore Drive on the East, but couldn't they move the road a couple hundred feet and cut into the marina basin a bit?

reclaimed.gif

That would let them enclose one side, at least.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It looks pretty cool, and the view of the harbor will be amazing from inside, but that arrangement looks like it'll kill atmosphere.  You have what looks like almost a third of the stadium without any seats.  Some may be taken up with standing patios, but that's not really a replacement. 

I know they feel hemmed in by Bayshore Drive on the East, but couldn't they move the road a couple hundred feet and cut into the marina basin a bit?

reclaimed.gif

That would let them enclose one side, at least.

Fair point, but that would probably include some environmental approval or something.  I do know the Rays wanted to bubble out Bayshore when they had the stadium proposal back in 2008.

It's not like they couldn't do that in a future expansion if they felt the need.  You're talking about a pretty expensive road move there.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Just wait for the games which are not sold out.  It'll sound like a practice facility.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Fair point, but that would probably include some environmental approval or something.  I do know the Rays wanted to bubble out Bayshore when they had the stadium proposal back in 2008.

Oh, I'm sure it would.  And as others have noted, it would also get expensive.  But if they're ready to drop $200M on an expansion fee, then I'd expect them to look at building out the road.  

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, I'm sure it would.  And as others have noted, it would also get expensive.  But if they're ready to drop $200M on an expansion fee, then I'd expect them to look at building out the road.  

I would worry less about a road and more about a sea wall.  Al Lang is prone to flooding.

Building that amount of infrastructure -- and locking yourself into a limited capacity -- next to water seems like a really dumb idea.

The render shows a good job of maximizing the space, but maybe some spaces shouldn't be maximized. Maybe that baseball field should remain what it is and the Rowdies find a different, more suitable location.

It's Florida. Couldn't they go halfsies with one of the high school football powerhouses? Or build a shared use facility like they do in Texas (Dallas? Houston?).

I'm all for neat looking privately-built stadiums, but sometimes the compromises are too much.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Building that amount of infrastructure -- and locking yourself into a limited capacity -- next to water seems like a really dumb idea.

The render shows a good job of maximizing the space, but maybe some spaces shouldn't be maximized. Maybe that baseball field should remain what it is and the Rowdies find a different, more suitable location.

It's Florida. Couldn't they go halfsies with one of the high school football powerhouses? Or build a shared use facility like they do in Texas (Dallas? Houston?).

I'm all for neat looking privately-built stadiums, but sometimes the compromises are too much.

Only if you find the right private school.

Florida has only county run school districts, not independent, community based ones. Those suburban, mega HS stadiums in Texas are done by a single independent school district.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

He should have a good career ahead of him. 

Really sickening that the Cosmos threw roadblocks that helped keep him from the Minnesota United job, even though they knew the club might go under, and even though they had already stopped paying him. 

The Cosmos have not acted in good faith towards anyone in this situation. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

7 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

Welps, ATL may get a rapidly declining 32 year old GK on a first year squad who will be looked at as a team leader. No.

Jay Sherman on this possible move:

images_zpstzkeiyos.jpg

I tried to watch both games in of the NCAA College Cup from Houston on DVR today but those kids suck*. The SuperDraft sells the public on these mediocre kids.

*-I understand the NCAA season and 20 hour practice rules prevent skill mastery, but both games were ugly and NCAA rules are worse.

Speaking of the NASL crisis the majority of Cosmos employees have been laid off.

Also kudos to Garber for putting the kibosh on the third NYC team stuff. As much I'm not a fan of NYCFC and the Red Bulls its extremely unfair to other cities that don't have MLS teams and are making a great case to get one (Sacramento, Cincy, etc) for the league to consider putting a team in a place that already has two teams over them. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The Garber interview dfwabel links above is a good read. Obviously, MLS has a long way to go, but it's at least being steered effectively with respect to its position in the American sports market. That's more than you can say for the NHL. Though there's no getting around a $500 million NHL expansion fee is > than a $100 million MLS one; perhaps because so many MLS teams also require a significant stadium investment.

Speaking of, what's keeping the Dolphins and MLS Miami from sharing Hard Rock?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Garber interview dfwabel links above is a good read. Obviously, MLS has a long way to go, but it's at least being steered effectively with respect to its position in the American sports market. That's more than you can say for the NHL. Though there's no getting around a $500 million NHL expansion fee is > than a $100 million MLS one; perhaps because so many MLS teams also require a significant stadium investment.

Speaking of, what's keeping the Dolphins and MLS Miami from sharing Hard Rock?

People who want the team playing downtown, and I haven't heard if the Dolphins are cool with sharing space with the Hurricanes and the MLS. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived