North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

Cascadia has won the last 2 MLS Cups...Can Vancouver complete the treble in 2017??

AaHv0TF.gif

Well, now I know why SBass was upset being pulled.  Neither team outplayed the other, & both seemed to share enough control to win or lose.  

Now I know how it feels to be an American Michael Bradley what.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Bradley did the ultimate Bradley and the Sounders squeaked through.

And while the Sounders were fourth in the West, they'd also only lost two since September. So, they clearly peaked at the right time. Just like Portland last year.

Not the best win, but obviously I'll take it. Stefan Frei was clear MVP out there. Wow!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The MLS is broken.

A convulated playoff format with legs and away goals, the best teams never win.

I mean, the last two years, the team that didn't show a pulse until September won the MLS Cup.

Why bother being like the Red Bulls? Maybe they should tank, finish 4th/5th in the East, and then they';ll win it all.

The MLS is where mediocrity reigns supreme.

48 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Why bother being like the Red Bulls? Maybe they should tank, finish 4th/5th in the East, and then they';ll win it all.

So if you finish 4th you automatically are gonna win MLS Cup? In the playoffs anybody can beat anybody in any sport, that's how they work. MLS isn't a European league, it's American and it'll continue to be American until soccer can finally surpass into being a top sport in the states. 

sigsgsg.png.dd2c63fee3388b4132af271cae3c34b5.png

1 hour ago, SabresRule7361 said:

A convulated playoff format with legs and away goals, the best teams never win.

That seems to work just fine with a lot of other soccer playoff competitions. I see no reason to discontinue it in MLS.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

That seems to work just fine with a lot of other soccer playoff competitions. I see no reason to discontinue it in MLS.

The only possible change I'd suggest is a two legged final or a neutral site somewhere warmer, though to be fair it's 42 in Texas for tomorrow's NCAA Final.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So...I'm still defrosting but here's my 2 cents on last night:

#1 Frei was the well deserving MVP. Honestly I would have been pissed if he didn't get it. He probably won the game with that amazing save in extra time but he had a solid game before that.

#2 Seattle did a great job defending Gio, he was useless.

#3 A team that doesn't register a shot on goal shouldn't win. I'm sorry that may seem like sour grapes (as we all know I'm a huge TFC supporter) but that just doesn't add up. 

I really enjoyed the night though, spoke to a few Seattle supporters, who came out in strong numbers. Very impressive. Tip of the hat. 

I've never been a fan of penalties to decide a game, last night really solidified that. I don't see why, after 30 mins of extra time, they can't switch to golden goal. Maybe give each team an additional substitution at that time? I mean, even if the outcome was going to be the same I'd rather have seen the Sounders actually score. That's just my thought. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only possible change I'd suggest is a two legged final or a neutral site somewhere warmer, though to be fair it's 42 in Texas for tomorrow's NCAA Final.

MLS used to do the whole neutral site thing for the final but I agree with Goth that its better they don't do that. 

The atmosphere would have been nowhere near what it was yesterday if that game was played in Texas instead of Toronto. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I think most everyone agrees that penalties used to decide a title suck, but I don't think most people agree on a solution. 

• One option is golden goal after extra time (with a new sub), but that requires way too much substitution management during regular time.
  • Another is golden goal during extra time, but that seems to be against the general flowing nature of the sport.
  • You could adjust PK distance, but that's stupid.

Other sports, like hockey and basketball, continue OT as long as it takes, but the field is play is so much smaller and the substitutions allow fresher players to come in and out.

That's three major finals this year (Copa America, Olympics, MLS) that came down to penalties. We all had the same critiques after each game. However, I'm sure it's the same after every PK final. At a certain point, you have the accept that you're not going to change international rules for everyone, so you're kind of stuck with what you have. And to that point, Seattle played for PKs and it worked. Again, it sucks, but you can appreciate the tactics.

One thing that's too bad is that a kind of sloppy extra time obscured what was a very competitive, enjoyable and physical first half. Seattle basically no showed on offense, but they showed how strong their defense has played all through the playoffs (this their fourth shutout). One player extra was especially unkind to was Jozy. He was co-MVP with Frei through the first 90 minutes, but looked like he feel apart in ET. He got sloppy in the last thirty minutes and seemed to rely more on his size than any finesse. He was gassed at the end. Ditto Gio, obviously.

Anyway, it's the most unlikely of any Seattle champion team I've watched over the past several years. We expected a Cup with Martins and Dempsey, especially back in 2014. It didn't happen. But it's cool that guys like Ozzie Alonso, Brad Evans and Zach Scott who have been there since 2009 get to win a title with the team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived