New Diamondbacks threads

MCM0313

Looking at the new Diamondbacks uniforms, I couldn't help noticing that the light teal they use in their (non-throwback) alternates looks really cool, and would go great as a secondary color with their dark red should they eventually choose to go in that direction. Overall, though, the set looks awful---with striping that stops abruptly, and tacky-looking "sublimation" (actually mostly just bad gradients IMO). That got me thinking---what were other awful looks that had one super cool feature? Like, the Bengals' current unis look awful but their helmet's a classic. So, two-ish questions:

1. Do you agree with me about the Diamondbacks looking good in red, black, and teal?

1A. Would they look better demoting the black to tertiary and promoting the teal to primary?

AND

2. What are some other examples of terrible sets with awesome (not redeeming, but still awesome) features?

Mods, feel free to move this if there's already an appropriate thread for these musings.

I've said it the comments of the article and on this site before but I love when young teams break tradition. It's a unique color combination and the sublimation on the uniform gives a look at this Arizona and Arizona alone.

Baseball has got to eventually move on from home white/road grey blah. No not every team needs to go as far as Arizona did but let's something unique! I love my Rays but their uniforms are dull as dirt. Do they look good? Eh I guess, but they're safe. But the Rays fauxback I love because it's different, it's exciting, it takes a chance!

So yeah that's my two bits.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I actually love the sublimation, but hate how it's done. It's great on the sleeves, decent on the backs, awful on the hats and pants. It'd be great if, on the sleeves, they did a fade from white at the shoulders to red at the sleeve ends. Sublimation maybe would work a lot better if it was done on the stroke on the hat logo. Maybe put sublimation only in the striping on the pants (And make the striping full length).

I like that they took a risk, it's good for a young team which is undergoing a remodel into a winning team. But they swung and missed.

I actually love the sublimation, but hate how it's done. It's great on the sleeves, decent on the backs, awful on the hats and pants. It'd be great if, on the sleeves, they did a fade from white at the shoulders to red at the sleeve ends. Sublimation maybe would work a lot better if it was done on the stroke on the hat logo. Maybe put sublimation only in the striping on the pants (And make the striping full length).

I like that they took a risk, it's good for a young team which is undergoing a remodel into a winning team. But they swung and missed.

Making the sublimation subtler AND making the pant and sleeve stripes full-length would go a long way toward redeeming this set.

Archived