New Zealanders holding referendum on changing national flag

altosax29b

Among the finalists, I like the black and white fern leaf. But I do think the three TRoy shared above me are best. I'd love that last one if the grayish blue color was replaced with the light blue from the first.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw a concept a few months back. Was a white flag with the name "BEN" written in crayon on it. It was done by a 6 year old. It boggles my mind how that concept is not included in the finally tally. It's perfect.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Not too many countries sport black as an official national colour. At least not compared to red and blue (which is totally overdone, IMO). I prefer the one with black in it.

Im still in favour of NZ keeping the current flag, but if they do switch this is a very nice choice to go with.

Which one?

The winner of the two fern designs (which one isn't yet clear) will go up against the current flag in a final referendum. So it's certainly possible that they won't make a change at all.

Please. Not another red and blue flag. The designs are nice, but why don't the Kiwis want to be original and go with some different colours to distinguish themselves from the 90-odd countries who do use red and blue?

Out of the finalists, I liked the two Lockwood designs. I feared that the two being similar would actually split the votes and one of the lesser candidates would make it through. My preference of the two was for the Red-White-Blue variant as it seemed like a natural progression from the current flag. But the Black-White-Blue version continued to catch my eye. Something about it made it stand out more. Maybe due to Black-White-Blue being in limited use (Estonia and Botswana off the top of my head). It also seems to make the blue "pop" differently than with the red. At the same time, the tallys need to be counted and recounted, so the R-W-B version could still go head-to-head with the current flag.

I'm not from New Zealand but i'm excited about this. I've always had an affinity towards flags and it's interesting that there's a huge flag debate going on right now with the potential for change. I know Australia has been having a similar debate for years with the run up to the Olympics back in 2000. Fiji is having one of their own as well with all sorts of backdoor schenanegans going on. I'm hoping voters can look past the current flag "just because that's what it's been for a while" and see this as an opportuinity to choose a major national symbol. It would be akin to a major sports team in one of the Big 4/5 asking its fanbase to choose a new logo. It's not something that happens all the time.

One of the 2 I liked originally.

Yeah, we were talking about this when the long list was chosen.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/104562-new-zealand-flag-long-list-chosen/

Looks like one of the Lockwood designs will be chosen to advance to the final.

_87154227_gettyimages-492306228.jpg

That looks distinguished, cool, progressive, & clean all at once. It also fits well with their Oceania locale- there's something oddly nautical about it. I say go for it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Those two aren't bad at all (certainly better than most of the trendy pop art trash being that were proposed), though they're still inferior to what they currently fly (for reasons I have expressed several times before).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Yeah, I'm not sure it's an upgrade.

My pals in Australia tell me that their change-the-flag groups are panicking at the prospect that New Zealand might adopt a new one, as the best reason they've come up with to change theirs is the similarity to NZ's.

Yeah, I google'd 'new Australian flag' for fun... they're all a mess, the concepts.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived