Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I prefer it too. I also have no allegiance to the Maple Leafs, which I think may be part of the appeal of the new/old logo.

The current/soon to be former logo just has too much working against it. It's overly blocky stylings and Kabel font make it look extremely 70s. Which doesn't really fit the "Original Six/As Old as the League" status of the team. 

It's synonymous with the team's Cup drought, having been used in one form or another for forty-six of the forty-nine years since they last won it all.

It's also named after Harold Ballard. Which isn't a complement as far as "Leafs Nation" goes.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new font is nice, and I'm glad they're not going with the outline because it's really not necessary.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the Marlies follow suit, with the crown replacing the wordmark. They already seem to be headed in that direction, but it would be nice to wipe the Ballard leaf completely from the organization.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I guess I'm in the minority that thinks the current simple leaf is a better logo than the 35-point version.

Actually, I agree with you. I actually liked the text-free variation, too.

4 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

The point is they are changing their primary logo and uniform.

They will no longer wear a uniform with this logo as their primary.

I'm actually pretty sure the point was that it was gonna be a completely new leaf.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I'm actually pretty sure the point was that it was gonna be a completely new leaf.

The point was never to re-invent the wheel, because they didn't have to. You had 40 years of pre-drought Maple Leafs history to draw from (1927-67), and the point was to emulate that with a modern twist...sort of like another Toronto team did a few years back.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

25 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

The point was never to re-invent the wheel, because they didn't have to. You had 40 years of pre-drought Maple Leafs history to draw from (1927-67), and the point was to emulate that with a modern twist...sort of like another Toronto team did a few years back.

I mean they said that it would be a completely new leaf. Dexter misunderstood what Octopus was trying to say while he came off really douchey.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

The Leafs had planned to replace the Ballard logo with a modern version a couple years ago. It was supposed to work on home and away uniforms i.e. there was no negative version. There were reports in the media and it got quashed because there was a backlash. That's probably where the confusion about an "entirely new Leaf" comes from.

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The current/soon to be former logo just has too much working against it. It's overly blocky stylings and Kabel font make it look extremely 70s. Which doesn't really fit the "Original Six/As Old as the League" status of the team. 

It's synonymous with the team's Cup drought, having been used in one form or another for forty-six of the forty-nine years since they last won it all.

It's also named after Harold Ballard. Which isn't a complement as far as "Leafs Nation" goes.

Mainly the biggest reason why I'm all for this change.

4kv29i.jpg

4 minutes ago, uniformity said:

The Leafs had planned to replace the Ballard logo with a modern version a couple years ago. It was supposed to work on home and away uniforms i.e. there was no negative version. There were reports in the media and it got quashed because there was a backlash. That's probably where the confusion about an "entirely new Leaf" comes from.

That sounds like a terrible idea.  A blue leaf on a blue background would be barely visible, regardless of how thick the outline was.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

That sounds like a terrible idea.  A blue leaf on a blue background would be barely visible, regardless of how thick the outline was.

Yeah, for that to make sense they'd have to put a chest stripe and copy the Habs. This sounds like Ballard putting blue names on the blue jersey.

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/cdnuniguy/media/Maple%20Leafs/ReginaLeaderPost27Feb1978.jpg.html

If I had the money, I would've customized a Salming jersey that way.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

8 minutes ago, Orgo said:

Yeah, for that to make sense they'd have to put a chest stripe and copy the Habs. This sounds like Ballard putting blue names on the blue jersey.

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/cdnuniguy/media/Maple%20Leafs/ReginaLeaderPost27Feb1978.jpg.html

If I had the money, I would've customized a Salming jersey that way.

It would've had some sort of outline obviously.

24 minutes ago, uniformity said:

It would've had some sort of outline obviously.

That's fair, but still I think having reversible logos makes senses. I personally think the Kings would be better served having reversible colours for their current getup or make it silver like their Gretzky-era days.  

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I do hope the Leafs will have a simple and cleaner logo crest that will get good attention.. I think the Ballard logo has run its course for a long time now and it is time for a change for something simple and even better... hopefully that will be the case in 2 days or so...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived