Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Iceletics is correct, I'm pretty disappointed.  I was hoping they would move forward with cues from the past but give it a more modern feel.  This feels like they jumped into the time machine and tweaked an old version.  There was so much that they could have done, this just feels lazy to me.  

Not that I'm at all surprised.  This is a franchise that is obsessed with forcing fans to remember the past, and forget about the present. Heaven forbid you modernize the logo and get fans looking towards the future.

/rant

banners

57 minutes ago, DAKINS24 said:

If the Iceletics is correct, I'm pretty disappointed.  I was hoping they would move forward with cues from the past but give it a more modern feel.  This feels like they jumped into the time machine and tweaked an old version.  There was so much that they could have done, this just feels lazy to me.  

Not that I'm at all surprised.  This is a franchise that is obsessed with forcing fans to remember the past, and forget about the present. Heaven forbid you modernize the logo and get fans looking towards the future.

/rant

Blue Jays did what you're asking the Leafs to do.. how did that work out? Too many risks going with a modern look, 9 out of 10 times they usually revert back to an older look because modern dates quickly.

1 hour ago, DAKINS24 said:

/rant

Pick one:

01g9y2wh6u9hw9f3fj8z40r9a.gif       or       oc3tlmem3ptof3z503ih1hcfv.gif

Its pretty easy to see why Toronto would go with a classic, but updated, look.

Color me underwhelmed. Just like some other folks on here I definitely feel the current logo is superior. It's aged incredibly well, is still quite sleak yet not overly modern. This new/old logo doesn't even look like much of a maple leaf to begin with and has a somewhat furry appearance. To me this is definitely a step back.

40 minutes ago, Guy with Machete said:

Color me underwhelmed. Just like some other folks on here I definitely feel the current logo is superior. It's aged incredibly well, is still quite sleak yet not overly modern. This new/old logo doesn't even look like much of a maple leaf to begin with and has a somewhat furry appearance. To me this is definitely a step back.

That's fair if you prefer the current/soon to be former version, but you can't really ignore the fact that it's not held in high regard by most fans of the team. The Ballard Leaf and everything associated with that era isn't something Leafs fans want to hold on to.

58 minutes ago, Guy with Machete said:

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That's fair if you prefer the current/soon to be former version, but you can't really ignore the fact that it's not held in high regard by most fans of the team. The Ballard Leaf and everything associated with that era isn't something Leafs fans want to hold on to.

As a huge lover of the Ballard Leaf, these boards have taught me just that.  I was surprised and disappointed with the love of the older, more detailed logos on these boards.  But that love, combined with the sharp contrast in success, led me to to always believe this day would come.

I am disappointed and I truly do feel it's a downgrade. I agree with everything Guy with Machete said.  But I have to agree with what Ice Cap said too.  It is the right decision, even if it's a decision I wish they were not making.  The best analogy I can think of in another sport, for my taste anyway, is the Orioles cartoon bird.  I hate that logo with a raging passion.  And I liked the standing birds (though particularly the older, less photograph-looking ones).  But the fanbase liked Happy Bird and the team's best years had been with Happy Bird.  I dislike the decision to change, even if it was, in some ways, the right one.*

*Moreso than with Toronto, I am not 100% convinced it was right in Baltimore because Happy Bird is so minor-league-looking.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

While I have zero issues with the Ballard era logo, which has aged very well and doesn't at all look dated in today's NHL, I've always liked the 1938 leaf the best, so I'll probably be a huge fan of the redesign unveiled tomorrow. That being said, I hope it's just a throw-back of sorts for the 100th anniversary season, and perhaps a couple more after that. At that point I'd like to see them come up with something completely new from the ground up. I'm sick of "Original Six" teams (which they never were BTW) sticking with old designs simply because they're old, despite most of them not even being good (I'm looking at you Habs and Bruins). It's time to grow up and get with the times, instead of clinging to a past 75% of your fan base wasn't alive to see.

1 hour ago, vman said:

While I have zero issues with the Ballard era logo, which has aged very well and doesn't at all look dated in today's NHL, I've always liked the 1938 leaf the best, so I'll probably be a huge fan of the redesign unveiled tomorrow. That being said, I hope it's just a throw-back of sorts for the 100th anniversary season, and perhaps a couple more after that. At that point I'd like to see them come up with something completely new from the ground up. I'm sick of "Original Six" teams (which they never were BTW) sticking with old designs simply because they're old, despite most of them not even being good (I'm looking at you Habs and Bruins). It's time to grow up and get with the times, instead of clinging to a past 75% of your fan base wasn't alive to see.

Except that the Bruins and the Habs have some of the best looks in the NHL. Just because they're an Original 6 team, (Yes, they're still called that, even though they aren't really the Original 6. We all have heard that on these boards.) doesn't mean they look bad. The Bruins have an amazing look. Yes it's based off of an older look, but it's still great. The Habs classic chest-stripe is old, but it still looks good. The Habs white jersey is something else, but it's not the worst in the NHL. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

12 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Except that the Bruins and the Habs have some of the best looks in the NHL. Just because they're an Original 6 team, (Yes, they're still called that, even though they aren't really the Original 6. We all have heard that on these boards.) doesn't mean they look bad. The Bruins have an amazing look. Yes it's based off of an older look, but it's still great. The Habs classic chest-stripe is old, but it still looks good. The Habs white jersey is something else, but it's not the worst in the NHL. 

We're talking about logos, not jersey designs. Both Montreal and Boston have bad logos which are revered simply because of their age and affiliation with past teams. 

3 hours ago, vman said:

Going modern "just because" rarely works out well. The Toronto Maple Leafs are as old as the league itself. Leave the modern nonsense to the newer teams that can pull it off.

Incedently most newer teams that can pull of "modern for the sake of modern" are choosing not to. 

Take that however you want.

1 hour ago, vman said:

We're talking about logos, not jersey designs. Both Montreal and Boston have bad logos which are revered simply because of their age and affiliation with past teams. 

Sorry, no. I disagree. Boston (finally) has some decent bear-themed logos but nothing tops the simplicity and iconic nature of the spoked B.

As for the Habs? What else would you have them wear? Some guy wearing a toque holding a can of Molson? I'll stick with the monogram that's passed the test of time, thank you very much.

8 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Blue Jays did what you're asking the Leafs to do.. how did that work out? Too many risks going with a modern look, 9 out of 10 times they usually revert back to an older look because modern dates quickly.

8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Pick one:

01g9y2wh6u9hw9f3fj8z40r9a.gif       or       oc3tlmem3ptof3z503ih1hcfv.gif

Its pretty easy to see why Toronto would go with a classic, but updated, look.

No no no.  You completely misunderstand what I was trying to say.

The Jays logo went through a drastic redesign twice, before returning to the classic look.  Even then, it was a modern twist on the classic logo that they never should have gotten so far away from in the first place. 

Modern doesn't mean futuristic, and drastically different, which is what that hideous Black Jays redesign was.

I'm asking to take from different logos of the past and move forward with it.  Carry on the linear progression of the logo.  This sounds more like just taking one old logo, putting a different typeface on it, then calling it a day.  

banners

27 minutes ago, DAKINS24 said:

No no no.  You completely misunderstand what I was trying to say.

The Jays logo went through a drastic redesign twice, before returning to the classic look.  Even then, it was a modern twist on the classic logo that they never should have gotten so far away from in the first place. 

Modern doesn't mean futuristic, and drastically different, which is what that hideous Black Jays redesign was.

I'm asking to take from different logos of the past and move forward with it.  Carry on the linear progression of the logo.  This sounds more like just taking one old logo, putting a different typeface on it, then calling it a day.  

I think you are confused...

Just wait until the Leafs new logo comes out tomorrow.

Archived