Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what anybody else thinks of them, but I really like the Sittler-era Leafs jerseys and wouldn't be against them coming back in some form or another.

7757_article.jpeg

They'd be alright for a throwback, but they use the same crappy logo as the current jerseys whilst using inferior striping.

Who here had the idea of using the TTC subway font to replace the Kabel on the typeface?

I did.

I don't like a wordless leaf. Way too dull, not "simple and iconic."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

HOw about a T with a long top in the middle, with a smaller M on the left of the vertical bar and L on the right?

The thing with the plain leaf is in b/w print it just looks like a maple leaf - it'd need some defining characteristic to trademark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As someone who doesn't follow hockey, dropping the wordmark from the leaf feels like the obvious thing to do -- they have that much brand recognition.

A generic maple leaf is not the way to go. Yes the Leafs have brand recognition. I don't know if you've ever been to Canada though, because the Leafs aren't exactly the only thing with a maple leaf in their branding, and dropping the wordmark from their logo would not help with that.

I don't know what anybody else thinks of them, but I really like the Sittler-era Leafs jerseys and wouldn't be against them coming back in some form or another.

7757_article.jpeg

They are, rightly or not, associated with the Ballard era, which is not something anybody wants a part of.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

My 5 pennies

100 years for Leafs is something big. Unlike Mtl, Toronto changed jerseys throughout the decades, no big changes but still.

Time to reverse the trend in the NHL. I'd go on a moderate out of the box jersey, but not too much, but something else then two stripes.

I mean, I believe we've had enough faux old with Tampa, Dallas, Carolina being the ugliest.

This organization needs a new start IMHO, keeping some links with the past.

Would not be surprise to see a sort of mix, but I'd let the current jersey for history.

As someone who doesn't follow hockey, dropping the wordmark from the leaf feels like the obvious thing to do -- they have that much brand recognition.

A generic maple leaf is not the way to go. Yes the Leafs have brand recognition. I don't know if you've ever been to Canada though, because the Leafs aren't exactly the only thing with a maple leaf in their branding, and dropping the wordmark from their logo would not help with that.

but how many blue/white maple leafs do you see? the Cowboys make a star work in Texas, the Leafs could do the same with their logo

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm concerned and curious with the Maple Leafs getting new logo/uniforms for next season. As to which direction they will go ( I was even thinking if they will go with a slightly lighter blue from the 1960's era ) to hints and rumors along the way. It will be interesting and hopefully for the best.

4kv29i.jpg

Well, that's why you're someone who doesn't follow hockey.

This is all I'd do:

XAbfuwO.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7757_article.jpeg

Why's he wearing a Cleveland Indians logo on his jersey?

*ducks*

Well played. I just like the Tommy Kramer Vikings jersey in the stands.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

but how many blue/white maple leafs do you see? the Cowboys make a star work in Texas, the Leafs could do the same with their logo

You see quite a few actually.

On top of that, there is no reason to drop the wordmark from the leafs logo. It would be a definitive downgrade to go to a generic maple leaf as a logo. Having the name adds some substance, plus they've had it there for basically their entire history.

I would be shocked, shocked if this striping pattern went away

ccm-s100-toronto-maple-leafs-hockey-sock

It's been on the socks for how long? It's the stripe of the 67 jersey, it's the basis of their Winter Classic throwback/alternate, it's been all over and rarely noticed.

I'd think if there was something new (which with the Leafs, on a 100th anniversary, isn't going to be progressive. It'll be fauxback-esque) and I think it'll be based around this.

As for the logo, I'd think it's some mix of the 35 point leaf and the 67 leaf, perhaps streamlined. I'd expect blank logos on the shoulders.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived