Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

Another minority opinion - not only do I prefer the Ballard leaf (I get why you guys don't, but it just looks better to me) but I like the Ken Wregget-era jerseys too.

Nothing wrong with the new one, though I find the bottom veins (under LEAFS) a little oddly shaped.  THey may look real, but the curves clash with the rest of it too me.  For what they were going for, they did a nice job (so far) - the 30+ points just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me as a sports logo.

25-ken-wregget.jpg wregget.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Another minority opinion - not only do I prefer the Ballard leaf (I get why you guys don't, but it just looks better to me) but I like the Ken Wregget-era jerseys too.

Nothing wrong with the new one, though I find the bottom veins (under LEAFS) a little oddly shaped.  THey may look real, but the curves clash with the rest of it too me.  For what they were going for, they did a nice job (so far) - the 30+ points just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me as a sports logo.

25-ken-wregget.jpg wregget.jpg

I share the same opinion as you on both the logo and the uniform. I understand that they wanted to move forward but these pictures above make me realize that I will always like the old look more.

Oh my, the Ken Wregget Days... You might as well throw in Alan Bester as well... 

I just wonder if the Leafs win the Stanley Cup in the new logo, will they add another vein?

I do think the "Ballard" leaf is cleaner and looks identifiable without the  wordmark. I think that would make a great shoulder patch. If there is a time to change, maybe this is the right time.

I saw, I came, I left.

I like the Wregget era too 

I don't love the sleeve pattern but the small Ballard leaf on shoulders more than makes up for it.

I am going to miss the Ballard leaf. I, like most (maybe even all) of us am too young to remember anything else.  So there will be a nostalgia factor for me, but most of all I like the simplicity and the symmetry.  I should probably get online and get a hat and t-shirt.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm not getting hung up on the symbolism of the veins or the points. Most of the time I find that stuff to be complete nonsense ("jaws of Husky Stadium"), but in this case real leaves have lots of veins and lots of points so why not attribute some meaning to them?

Also, I don't think the Leafs need to worry about adding another vein anytime soon. FOLKS!!!!!!

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love how the "Wregget Era" is now a... wait for it... thing.

I can't explain why, but a young BBTV fell in love with Ken Wregget because of how great that uniform looked on goalies, and jizzed his pants when the Flyers acquired him while Hextall was hurt.  Unfortunately, he soon realized that his infatuation was more a result of the uniform, and not his talent.

Really though - he was not a bad goalie, and IIRC played well for Pittsburgh after he was moved there with Tocchet.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wasn't around to experience those 70's Maple Leafs uniforms as a current uniform and grew up watching the Sundin era Leafs in more classic looking uniforms. I saw those unis in various hockey books and whatever as a kid and just figured it was a phase they went through like how the Rangers briefly experimented with different uniforms in the mid 70’s. When I learned the Leafs spent over 20 years in those things I was floored. They’re so ill-fitting of a team of the Maple Leafs’ heritage.

PvO6ZWJ.png

First of all, I think that from an execution standpoint, it's a success. It's a tasteful update, but that's what it is: an update from an era most fans have no connection with.

One of my big reproach to the whole marketing of the Leafs is that they are over-marketing successes/memories that are way too old. (I know, there's nothing much to celebrate in recent years).

I understand that the whole professional sports business is milking the "retro" thing, so why not be bold and different to usher this team into a promising future?

I always thought that the previous Marlies logo, with the old style leaf and a modern looking shield and wordmark, was a great way to modernize their look.

I'm just glad I could start wearing my 2005 ALT jersey again and look like I got my hands on the new shirt...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

An actual maple leaf that you can pick off from a tree has many points. The ballard leaf is more symbolic to the Canadian flag. The new logo makes perfect sense + everything to the very last detail they got it right.

The now old Maple Leafs logo is what I've always known, during Habs/Leafs games. :P I can see why they brought it in, in the 70s. But I can also see that it's a product of it's time.

77f77408630bb420ededfb0ce309bc26.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I prefer this over the Ballard leaf logo. There again I tend to be a bigger fan of the throwback logo more so than the Ballard logo. The only attachment I have is just nostalgia but that's about it. I'm excited they are going to a more throwbackish type of logo. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I don't particularly care for the Leafs as a Penguin fan, and being born in 1984 doesn't make me nostalgic for their previous logos. But I just can't see how people are saying this is a downgrade. It's so much better than the odd Ballard leaf.

When I first saw the logo I really liked it.

But the more I look at it the more I don't like it.  It just feels off to me.   The shape looks wrong and the points seem oddly rendered.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I like the Ballard Leaf better as a logo for a sports team.

Archived