Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I didn't make a snap judgement either. In fact I was bit worried it would be a bit too much like the Icethetics mockup. 

I like it because it's more proportionally balanced than either the Icethetics mockup or the older designs that it's based off of. I like it because it took well-liked and popular older logos and modernized them just enough to work today.

In short? I like it because I feel it's a good logo.

I just find your pot leaf comparison lacking. The general shape of the logo and the general shape of a pot leaf are very different. That kills the comparison right there for me. Magnus (who never misses a chance to kick the Leafs fwiw) had to add to more segments to the thing to even get it into pot leaf territory.

I think the general shape of the new logo is good but the details kill it.

The leaf is WAY too jagged and the veins look odd, especially the bottom one.  

They did knock it out of the park with the new font though.  That looks great.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

No I'm saying it's a sophomoric comparison that a high school student would find funny. And the Ohio State sticker looks way more like a pot leaf than the new maple leaf. 

I am not saying its funny, but glad you are mature enough to only look at that side of it.

I am just pointing out why I don't like this rendering of a maple leaf.  

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

To illustrate my point.  It has NOTHING to do with the shape of the logo or the amount of points.

It is the JAGGEDNESS of the leaf.

YPYDFFv.png

The pot leaf on top of the Maple Leaf logo looks VERY similar.

You're not going to change anyone's opinion. How about we all agree that you're wrong and move on? 

BB52Big.jpg

Going back to the ballard leaf VS new leaf comparison as I think most of us agree the pot leaf comparison is a little silly, I think the new leaf looks a lot more like an actual maple leaf than the ballard logo when comparing to other maple leaves in the image below. At the end of the day it's an improvement to a logo that they used when they had their greatest success as a franchise. I think it's the best logo in their history. 

X8PRr2g.jpg

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

You're not going to change anyone's opinion. How about we all agree that you're wrong and move on? 

So very eloquent of you.  

If you actually looked at the image, you would see how similar they are.  You are the one obsessed with the shape and "humour" of the pot leaf comparison.  I am looking at it from strictly a design perspective.  Maybe that is too much to ask of you.

10 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Dude, you need to learn how to read.  I HAVE NEVER said the shape of the leafs.   But for some reason you can't get past that.  

No, but...

42 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The pot leaf on top of the Maple Leaf logo looks VERY similar.

Is exactly what you said.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Are you serious?

That was clearly in reference to the blown-up image I posted with that post...

Well, it was you who made the comparison in the first place, so.

If we're talking about the jaggedness of the leaf, lots of leaves are jagged. Like this ordinary nettle leaf.

http://www.herbhedgerow.co.uk/herb/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nettle-Leaf.png

But, nobody is seriously going to confuse the Maple Leafs logo with a pile of nettle leaves stuck on top of each other. Or with frickin' cannabis, for that matter.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Well, it was you who made the comparison in the first place, so.

If we're talking about the jaggedness of the leaf, lots of leaves are jagged. Like this ordinary nettle leaf.

http://www.herbhedgerow.co.uk/herb/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nettle-Leaf.png

But, nobody is seriously going to confuse the Maple Leafs logo with a pile of nettle leaves stuck on top of each other. Or with frickin' cannabis, for that matter.

You are missing the point, and maybe its not a common graphic where you live, but the new leafs logo looks a lot like all the stupid pot leafs I have to see in Colorado all the time.   I don't see nettle leave logos on every other store front but I do see tons of weed plant renderings all over town.  Besides the shape, the most distinguishable characteristic is the jagged lines of the leafs.

I will concede that is probably just me, and my anti-weed bias living in Denver, CO, but that is what the Maple Leaf logo looked like to me.  I think we are done here and should move on to discussing the logo and not its resemblance to other plants.

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

An alternate idea I had...

rERgiE1.png

The Montreal (MTL) Maple Leafs?...  LOL!

Why not put a silver outline to the letters as well, for "originality"... ;)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived