Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be curious to see a mock-up of this with just the veins or if you get rid of Toronto and leave 'Maple Leafs.'

Either way, it's a good look and works for the team.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I would've put only TORONTO in the logo.

You see, its fine for a league to pay tribute to history, tradition, the gud old times.

I feel like, its a missed opportunity. You got plenty of teams with look "legit - à la rétro"

MTL

CHI

NYR

BOS

DET

EDM

VAN

BUF

NYI

PHI

STL

There are the "faux à la rétro", more or not recent franchises who adopt retro look for commercial reason mostly

TB

CAR

DAL * (I find them more appropriate, in the end, its the old stars)

MIN

And more modern concepts are

FLA

WAS

PIT

NJ

OTT

CLB

LA

SJ

ANA

COL

NSH

AZ

WIN

CGY

Everybody knows the Leafs had a hard times since many many years. Last championship 1967 etc..

Was time to take this 100th anniversary to turn the page on those bad souvenirs.

They didnt, instead, they stay in the same mainstream, dictated by "fashion".

I feel it was time for out of the box, going modern, turn your back to the trending retro jerseys that are not fun anymore to Watch.

They dug themselves a hole now, to the point we all can predict the uniforms coming.

Not fun, another missed opportunity of going creative, lets take the old leaf, change a bit , give poor and stupid reasoning 17 points for this and that reason.

They should have gone SparkyChewbarkys way. This league is going BACKWARD in terms of design.

My opinion, probably, few shares it :-)

11 minutes ago, bleuet said:

Ah OK, let's say more or less modern.

They are, say on the border..

There's nothing "border" about it. Their uniforms are very traditional and their logo fits in just fine with the Original Six.

On 2/3/2016 at 7:29 PM, DEAD! said:

It does look better without the outline. I wonder if they will have have an alternate logo without out the words.

They should, and I suspect they might will. Especially at smaller sizes, you'll never be able to see the text, and it will just create a white blob. I would imagine there would be specific rules for when the text-free version is used, though, assuming one even exists.

Anyway, not being a Leafs fan, my thoughts are that this logo isn't really any better or worse than the last one. But, once I read more about the logo (i.e. their inspiration) and learned more about the history of the club, this is a much better identity than before.

4 minutes ago, Quillz said:

They should, and I suspect they might will. Especially at smaller sizes, you'll never be able to see the text, and it will just create a white blob. I would imagine there would be specific rules for when the text-free version is used, though, assuming one even exists.

Anyway, not being a Leafs fan, my thoughts are that this logo isn't really any better or worse than the last one. But, once I read more about the logo (i.e. their inspiration) and learned more about the history of the club, this is a much better identity than before.

I feel like they will use a blank version for the shoulder patches, close to what they do now just with the new leaf

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I think the people who think it looks like a pot leaf have had too many funny cigarettes themselves...  The more I look at this update, the more spectacular it looks.  I'm not even worried about what the uniforms will look like anymore...  It is going to be a home run.

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It does not. Magnus had to add two additional segments to get it to come close to looking like a pot leaf.

:rolleyes: 

For clarity: I actually just googled that image. It's not my creation nor adaptation.

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Magnus (who never misses a chance to kick the Leafs fwiw)

We all have our vices, Cap.

As the great philosopher Elsa the Snow Queen would say, "Let it go." As long as they are still making money hand over fist, the corporations that own the Leafs (and rather conveniently the only cable networks that air NHL hockey in most of this country any more) won't really care about how well their players perform on the ice.

8 minutes ago, Magnus said:

We all have our vices, Cap.

As the great philosopher Elsa the Snow Queen would say, "Let it go." As long as they are still making money hand over fist, the corporations that own the Leafs (and rather conveniently the only cable networks that air NHL hockey in most of this country any more) won't really care about how well their players perform on the ice.

Well I wouldn't be so quick to throw the "evil media corporation overlord" label on the Maple Leafs and MLSE, considering that you're a Flyers fan ;)

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well I wouldn't be so quick to throw the "evil media corporation overlord" label on the Maple Leafs and MLSE, considering that you're a Flyers fan ;)

Very aware that they are controlled by Comcast, thank you. As are 99% of the Big Four teams.The sheer dominance of Bell and Rogers over any other competition for cable service in Canada is what I think irks me the most. I think that was the point I was trying to make.

I'm fine if you're a Leafs fan who's been actually watching them since the 60s or 70s (explains the Boomers). Anyone in my age bracket or younger is simply delusional and feeding the corps that will happily take their money to give them an inferior product based on nostalgia.

Philly's at least been to the Finals several times since their last Cup win. Several times. Toronto hasn't even made it past the third round - EVER.

Archived