Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

Maybe, but there is something i don't understand : Toronto's logo is the same as the leaf on the canadian flag, and they are even called maple leafs, how did they get permission to brand themselves like that, like they are canada's team in the NHL ? What if an american team had an flag on the front of their jersey and called themselves stars and stripes or something like that. i would think other fans from elsewhere would get pretty mad.

Why is the logo lifted straight from the Canada flag ?

If anything, Canada should be licensing it from them. ;)

That does raise an interesting point - did anybody say "Hey, that looks like a red version of Toronto" when the flag was proposed?

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably the only person who loves the 1967 font, but I also love the 35-pt leaf. This is the direction I want the Leafs to go.

L7PismU.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm probably the only person who loves the 1967 font, but I also love the 35-pt leaf. This is the direction I want the Leafs to go.

L7PismU.png

I like that font a lot, and that leaf, but I think it's too intricate and doesn't translate well to small scale.

Here's my version.

2GTM4OH.png

Maybe, but there is something i don't understand : Toronto's logo is the same as the leaf on the canadian flag, and they are even called maple leafs, how did they get permission to brand themselves like that, like they are canada's team in the NHL ? What if an american team had an flag on the front of their jersey and called themselves stars and stripes or something like that. i would think other fans from elsewhere would get pretty mad.

If anything, Canada should be licensing it from them. ;)

That does raise an interesting point - did anybody say "Hey, that looks like a red version of Toronto" when the flag was proposed?

The Canadian flag was adopted in 1965. The Maple Leafs switched to the 11-point leaf reminiscent of the leaf on the then-two year old flag for their 1967 playoff run (they had worn the classic 35-point leaf for the regular season). The switch to the flag-inspired leaf for the '67 playoffs was done to celebrate Canada's centinial.

It only lasted three seasons. The blocky Ballard Leaf was adopted in 1970, and has remained the primary to this day. Save for a few tweaks through the years.

He didn't say "everyone in Canada". "Most popular" does not mean everyone.

Canada flag isn't going on 100 years. It was born in 1965, 2yrs before the Maple Leafs won their 13th Stanley Cup.

Okay, so it is basicly the other way around, the team had it first ?

I bet they go with something like this to keep with the trends. :hockeysmiley:

TML-newlogo.png

Oh god, don't give them any ideas...

I agree. I hope they don't go this way too but it very well could be with how things have been going on in Toronto and some other recent logos.

22745782016.gif

22091682016.gif

21870342016.gif

21956712016.gif

z9qyy9xqoxfjn0njxgzoy2rwk.gif

He didn't say "everyone in Canada". "Most popular" does not mean everyone.

Canada flag isn't going on 100 years. It was born in 1965, 2yrs before the Maple Leafs won their 13th Stanley Cup.

Okay, so it is basicly the other way around, the team had it first ?
No. The flag predates the 11-point leaf by two years. The team adopted the flag-styled leaf in 1967 to celebrate Canada's centennial.

They haven't used a leaf based on the national flag design since 1970.

Sorry I know how to count, but can someone mockup or share examples of which design is the "35 point" leaf, and which are the other eras' leaves?

1938-1967

leafs-logo-evolution-590x327.jpg

Wow. Looking at them in context, I find that I really prefer the 1967-70 logo.

I've already expressed a preference for the typeface, but the shape of the leaf seems better balanced to me.

As someone who doesn't follow hockey, dropping the wordmark from the leaf feels like the obvious thing to do -- they have that much brand recognition.

Well, that's why you're someone who doesn't follow hockey.

This is all I'd do:

XAbfuwO.jpg

That's very close to what I think would look good.

I'd love to see this font in the Leaf logo I posted on Page 1 by Ben Datmo.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Sorry I know how to count, but can someone mockup or share examples of which design is the "35 point" leaf, and which are the other eras' leaves?

1938-1967

leafs-logo-evolution-590x327.jpg

It's always bugged me how the main site has the 1938-63 logo wrong. It's not simply the '60s leaf without the outline. It's an entirely different design.

broda_turk3.jpg

Now, I'm excited about the new logo. The current one is too corporate. The more detailed leaves have a more authentic, genuine feel. What I'm not as excited about are the new uniforms. As hockey week touched on, the Leafs have had the same socks stripes and hem stripes since, well ever (save for the '70s and '80s). I'm hoping that "new uniforms" just means the current template with a retro-looking maple leaf. Again, there's no need to try and re-invent the wheel.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Leafs have had the text inside the maple leaf ever since becoming the Maple Leafs. That's part of the brand. It needs to stay.

That is the worst reason to do anything. Doing something done badly for 90 years doesn't mean you should continue doing it.

A good logo should be graphical representation not a literal statement as is the case with the leafs logo, especially with the unnecessary redundancy of it being a maple leaf and having the words Maple Leafs inside of it (as if the fact that it's a maple leaf logo wasn't enough of a clue.) Either go blank, or have the letter T in the middle representing Toronto, doesn't needed to be anymore complex than that.

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived