Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

Thanks to those who have pointed out that:

2ci8svl.jpg ...and...

14bjio5.jpg

...do not equal...

2d0cg01.jpg ...and...

vmvdk3.jpg

It's been my pet peeve for years and I've always wondered why the classic pre-'64 playoffs look has never been used in throwbacks. Anyone???

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to those who have pointed out that:

2ci8svl.jpg ...and...

14bjio5.jpg

...do not equal...

2d0cg01.jpg ...and...

vmvdk3.jpg

It's been my pet peeve for years and I've always wondered why the classic pre-'64 playoffs look has never been used in throwbacks. Anyone???

There are at least three distinct versions of the pre 64 crest. The one I posted earlier in this thread is followed by a fatter version that looks similar to the logo above only with rounded corners instead of these sharp edges. They are truly beautiful looking crests.

It should be noted that the Leafs had a new revamped logo sitting in the can when the edge uniforms first came out. I would bet anything that the coming logo is the same one. The one detail I recall is that the new logo would be used on both their home and road uniforms ie its just one logo without a negative version.

Doesn't feel like a sports logo to me.

It's the same logo they've had for 45 years, just with type that has a little more gravitas to it. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't even notice from afar, literally and figuratively, but it fixes a big problem all the same.

I mean the logo with that font doesn't look like a sports logo. The font makes it look even more dull.

(I know this is a late reply, just haven't been in this thread for a few days and thought I should clear this up)

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Just because something's old doesn't mean it's good. And I never said anything about a cookie-cutter template.

Y'know, you don't have to reflexively like something because it's old.

Yes you do. Everything old is automatically fantastic :rolleyes:.

Doesn't feel like a sports logo to me.

It's the same logo they've had for 45 years, just with type that has a little more gravitas to it. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't even notice from afar, literally and figuratively, but it fixes a big problem all the same.

I mean the logo with that font doesn't look like a sports logo. The font makes it look even more dull.

(I know this is a late reply, just haven't been in this thread for a few days and thought I should clear this up)

Well, I don't think Kabel is a very sporting font (notwithstanding the use of it by NBC Sports in the 1980s :/). The thing about the Leafs is that a staid, stodgy logo works for them. They're kind of a staid, stodgy team when you think about it, the old days of wearing suits to Maple Leaf Gardens and the new days of paying an arm and a leg to get into the ACC just to sit quietly and talk business. And besides all that justification, once you scale it down, you can hardly tell the difference but for the lettering looking a little less chunky.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd love to see the Leafs ditch the triple Northwestern-striped socks, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hope it stays. It gives the leafs a unique look, and it has historical elements to it.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'd love to see the Leafs ditch the triple Northwestern-striped socks, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hope it stays. It gives the leafs a unique look, and it has historical elements to it.

it's also a beautiful, almost unique signifier. why in the heck would you want to lose those triple stripes?

Me too, never been a fan. A dual stripe like the sleeves would work nicely and give them less of the visual weight.

visual weight? There is no visual weight, because they've wisely avoided a third color in the mix. Now the Calgary primaries, talk about visual weight...

Normally, I'd agree because color combos can balance very well on a cream white, but some of the value in one-color teams' looks is the vibrancy of the single color that can only be truly exhibited by the whitest whites.. The leafs' dark royal is so beautiful and vibrant on a true white that I wouldn't want it mucked up with a creamish white.. Same for the red wings

I know the Maple Leafs are an original six team (and we don't touch those) but I'd love to see them work in a Toronto pop culture reference and use the same off white color as Rush's Signals album.

aab0dba289b0d0795a769e477a7f0682af58faff

Imagine this white color for the away jersey!

I would actually enjoy this, as long as they keep the three triple stripes on the socks. :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I guarantee there's a heavy overlap between hockey fans and Rush fans, and not just in Ontario. I spent a great deal of my sophomore year of high school watching hockey and listening to Rush.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived