Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

According to this article, the Redskins will not have a Color Rush uniform in 2016. The reasoning is because they will be playing on a Thursday just not Thursday Night Football. Technically they will be exempt from Color Rush because of that. They play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving which will be televised by FOX not NFLN/CBS.

Believe me when I tell you this makes ZERO sense. For one, when the Cowboys-Panthers game on Thanksgiving last year was televised on FOX and both teams wore color rush uniforms. Two, Bruce Allen is a hardass and won't back away from the gold pants. Personally, I love the gold pants, but you have to know when enough is enough. Change is good.

I bet the Cowboys wear the double star uniform anyways, possibly modified to go with silver pants.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

According to this article, the Redskins will not have a Color Rush uniform in 2016. The reasoning is because they will be playing on a Thursday just not Thursday Night Football. Technically they will be exempt from Color Rush because of that. They play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving which will be televised by FOX not NFLN/CBS.

Believe me when I tell you this makes ZERO sense. For one, when the Cowboys-Panthers game on Thanksgiving last year was televised on FOX and both teams wore color rush uniforms. Two, Bruce Allen is a hardass and won't back away from the gold pants. Personally, I love the gold pants, but you have to know when enough is enough. Change is good.

I really can't see the other 31 teams having an extra merchandising opportunity, while Dan Snyder settles for none.  But, as a fan of the team, I'm glad they are staying away (if true).

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

1 minute ago, ltjets21 said:

Why are the same teams always playing on thanksgiving? Seems like I have seen the redskins, packers, and eagles every year...

As a fan of the Redskins, I am not happy about another Thanksgiving day game with my father in law running his mouth the whole game about how bad the Redskins are.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with a patent thing ... Not sure the specifics but I imagine they are losing some $$ on merchandise since they lost the patent on the logos, so maybe they are in no hurry to put out alternate jerseys right now.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Game was on CBS

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with a patent thing ... Not sure the specifics but I imagine they are losing some $$ on merchandise since they lost the patent on the logos, so maybe they are in no hurry to put out alternate jerseys right now.

Washington hasn't lost anything yet.   Their appeal of the USPTO's cancellation is still pending in the Fourth Circuit.  And in any case, it didn't affect their primary logo.

8 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Why are the same teams always playing on thanksgiving? Seems like I have seen the redskins, packers, and eagles every year...

The Lions , Packers & Cowboys have had the thanksgiving games forever . Almost tradition now for those three to be playing on that day. Not sure how they pick their opponents for the game. 

This link below provides a reference for all of the games on Thanksgiving ever. You will notice the Lions & Cowboys play it ever year with the Packers showing up quite often as well

http://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/thanksgiving-day-game-results/

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

24 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

The Lions , Packers & Cowboys have had the thanksgiving games forever . Almost tradition now for those three to be playing on that day. Not sure how they pick their opponents for the game. 

This link below provides a reference for all of the games on Thanksgiving ever. You will notice the Lions & Cowboys play it ever year with the Packers showing up quite often as well

packers and lions have been in the same division since forever so the likelihood of them playing frequently back in the day on a short week makes sense.

Just now, Old School Fool said:

They had white pants last year. I was just simply saying they'll normalize it once again.

Normalize what? The double star made its debut in '94 and was paired with their alt silver pants at the time. Those pants still exist and if the double star becomes a regular alt they can reproduce the '94 look. They also now have white pants from the color rush (which are actually identical to the navy/white fauxback) which theoretically gives them 2 white and one navy jersey that could be used to create several alt looks, some being better than others.

40 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

I am aware that the Cowboys and Lions have hosted on thanksgiving for years, but why don't they mix up the opponents? Every team plays different teams every year, so we should not be subject to the same matchups every thanksgiving. The NFL should spread the wealth 

1 hour ago, BlazerBlaze said:

I thought they said we weren't going black. Which everyone assumed meant red. 

Judging by this article and what Falcons CEO Rich McKay is saying it seems all red is the way they are going.

http://www.endzonescore.com/atlanta-falcons-reveal-special-uniforms-2016/37049

Favorite quote.

. “I have the uniform in my office. It’s certainly shocking but it will be interesting to see Matt Ryan and his legs in all red.”

When a front office member mentions how silly your quarterback's legs look in the uniform, it is not going to be a good uniform. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

I am aware that the Cowboys and Lions have hosted on thanksgiving for years, but why don't they mix up the opponents? Every team plays different teams every year, so we should not be subject to the same matchups every thanksgiving. The NFL should spread the wealth 

They do with the Thursday night games, the Cowboys and lions play every year because they were the first 2 teams to play on thanksgiving and became a tradition

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Normalize what? The double star made its debut in '94 and was paired with their alt silver pants at the time. Those pants still exist and if the double star becomes a regular alt they can reproduce the '94 look. They also now have white pants from the color rush (which are actually identical to the navy/white fauxback) which theoretically gives them 2 white and one navy jersey that could be used to create several alt looks, some being better than others.

Sorry to nitpick, but no they aren't. The color rush pants had a navy-gray-navy stripe whereas the throwback pants were navy-white-navy

panthers-cowboys-color-rush.jpg

cowboysthrowbacks.jpg

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, dont care said:

They do with the Thursday night games, the Cowboys and lions play every year because they were the first 2 teams to play on thanksgiving and became a tradition

I am aware of the tradition of the Cowboys and Lions and have no problem with this continuation. However, why can't the lions play the chiefs on a year when the Afc West plays the Nfc North instead of continuously seeing NFC East and North foes play. Even when the packers don't play the lions they ended up in the night slot against the Bears. For two straight years watching 6 NFC teams was way too much as a fan of an AFC team.

7 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I am aware of the tradition of the Cowboys and Lions and have no problem with this continuation. However, why can't the lions play the chiefs on a year when the Afc West plays the Nfc North instead of continuously seeing NFC East and North foes play. Even when the packers don't play the lions they ended up in the night slot against the Bears. For two straight years watching 6 NFC teams was way too much as a fan of an AFC team.

True but unfortunately with the new rules allowing for flexing to other networks, you're going to get more rivalries and common opponents on Thanksgiving NFL games.  Ratings are more important than a team rotation.

Archived