Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd have to see numbers to know if they're really selling jerseys based on this. I can't imagine they're really making an impact, just because the market is already so saturated with alt and special jerseys as is. I fully expect the Eagles to be in gray, and I think it will look great - but will people who already have green, white, or (*ugh*) black run out to buy a gray one that may never be worn more than once?

Speaking as an Eagles fan who lives in western Canada, the only reason I'm looking forward to Colour Rush is for the potential of a new Eagles jersey to buy. Since the one helmet rule came into effect eliminating the potential for throwback alternates, this is the first chance of a new on-field item to buy. I'm as excited for the potential of a new grey jersey (or even a throwback inspired jersey in midnight green) as I was for the one-time 1933 and 1960 throwback jerseys. I will run out and buy a Colour Rush jersey even though I have green, white, black, 1933, 1960, and even a white & neon Pro Bowl Barwin jersey. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

so why would all 32 owners buy into this? obviously for more revenue. but that cant come from apparel sales alone (from the color rush angle) i think its about butts in seats at games (add to this the money people spend at the stadium) and eyes on the tv

Here's where I think you're wrong.  I think the apparel sales are indeed enough for them - that's the only reason they have throwbacks and alternates, after all. 

Unless you also think casual Cardinals fans, say, come out in extra numbers for their black jersey games.   Because I would need to see hard numbers demonstrating that. 

This has nothing to do with ticket sales. The vast majority of tickets sold in the nfl are season ticket packages (aside from the bottom level franchises) so the attendance is already locked for thursday night games.

If anyone remembers last winter, the league put together a task force together to reinvigorate their floundering Th night package. That task force was made up of all their top strategic partners in addition to league office members with the goal of testing new marketing activities to grow interest and tv ratings without risking the established Sun/Mon product. Off the top of my head the two major outcomes of that activity is nike/color rush and the streaming deal with twitter. I'm sure they spent a lot of time on how to properly market to those picky millennials as well :P

Rumors are going around buffalo that this...

Ch3b37XVEAEUuco.jpg

... will be the bills helmet for the home opener. I looked at this and instantly said no because of the one helmet rule but im not sure if that rule changed in any way shape or form

Maybe it's the lighting or something, but that doesn't look... Terrible.

I mean, I wouldn't want Buffalo to EVER step foot on the field wearing that, but add an extra white stripe to the helmet stripe and make the facemask black, and you've got a somewhat decent helmet there.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

1 hour ago, llfhockey said:

Rumors are going around buffalo that this...

Ch3b37XVEAEUuco.jpg

... will be the bills helmet for the home opener. I looked at this and instantly said no because of the one helmet rule but im not sure if that rule changed in any way shape or form

This would be the worst thing Buffalo could do if the NFL allowed 2 helmets. This is worse than the Ohio State blackout uniform. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

it has to be larger. that larger picture is to bring viewers to thursday night games.

I actually watched fewer games because of the mess last year and will do so again this year.

42 minutes ago, Elfman said:

Couldn't the teams just rap the helmets like they do with cars? 

I tried it with a hockey helmet for fun at work, and it stays on fine. The problem is contact will cause the vinyl to come off, it'll have holes, and won't look as good.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9 hours ago, dont care said:

We don't know how well the wraps would able to stay on the helmets. The wrap could possibly easily come off with any type of contact to them. We don't know.

Some of the more complex designs in college football are wraps, so we actually do know.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There is a helmet company that sells temp wraps, I can't see why NFL teams can't afford these once a year. If it tears during the game, so be it. Might give the helmet a gladiator look. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

There is a helmet company that sells temp wraps, I can't see why NFL teams can't afford these once a year. If it tears during the game, so be it. Might give the helmet a gladiator look. 

If you put a wrap on a helmet shell you have to remove all the padding then reassemble each helmet which means refitting each player. At that point you've negated the so called safety benefit of the one helmet rule and might as well allow multiple helmets.

23 hours ago, rsaline said:

One of my biggest pet peeves. Tackiest look ever.

They could've just put a maroon single stripe down the center to cover it up, too. 

And that Bills concept... Yeah that's a picture taken on his living room couch, lol. 

spacer.png

Archived