kixbinder5

Future of NFL "Color Rush"

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Some people are totally colorblind, but that is pretty rare from what I understand.  Much more common is partial colorblindness, where the eye cannot distinguish between specific colors.  Of that, red/green colorblindness is by far the most common.

Yeah, this is what it looked like:

As for other leagues, I still don't know where this would have come up.  The NCAA banned color-on-color for a long time, didn't it?  That's why USC and UCLA had to take a penalty when they did it.  Even now, I'm not sure that the NCAA would allow green against red.

So this isn't a case of the NFL being overly sensitive, but perhaps facing a situation that nobody had allowed to happen before.

What didn't help is that both teams have white helmets, and shoulder/arm stripes. Also, if the NFL would just drop the idea that Color Rush HAS to be monochrome, there still might be a change for a red vs green jerseys if you make other changes.

Also the point about watching games on mobile devices is really excellent and one that I (and I assume most) hadn't even considered.  I don't think I"ll ever watch a game that way, but I can see where the color rush thing would be a benefit - at least all white vs all color, as long as teh helmets contrasted too.  

For anyone watching on mobile - are regular non-color rush games any difficult to follow on a 5" screen?

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Also the point about watching games on mobile devices is really excellent and one that I (and I assume most) hadn't even considered.  I don't think I"ll ever watch a game that way, but I can see where the color rush thing would be a benefit - at least all white vs all color, as long as teh helmets contrasted too.  

For anyone watching on mobile - are regular non-color rush games any difficult to follow on a 5" screen?

No I find it pretty easy, even when you start dropping in quality it's easy to pick up who is who. Teams line up on specific sides and go in certain directions.

On 9/13/2016 at 3:09 PM, TVIXX said:

Its not gonna feel right seeing the packers in white at lambeau

It sucked the first two times. Against the Bears it will be worse, as two great uniforms won't be used.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.  

Unhappy about everything surrounding this promotion.

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It sucked the first two times. Against the Bears it will be worse, as two great uniforms won't be used.

This is my opposition to these alternate uniforms - someone is going to go to Lambeau for the only time expecting to see the Packers in their green jerseys and gold pants and they'll see gimmickry instead. Maybe that person doesn't care, but it would bother me. 

It may have been mentioned before but the color rush this year has been a missed opportunity for a lot of franchises to use a throwback look. Then again, the whole monochrome thing may handcuff a lot of franchises .

On 9/14/2016 at 11:12 AM, Gupti said:

Huh, anyone else notice how the Bucs have inexplicably removed the pewter slashes (adapted from their usual orange slashes) that were present on last year's set? Might be because they just don't work as well with the new VU template.

usa-today-9016669.0.jpg

0913-Color-rush-article.jpg

Yeah I absolutely hate that they did that , the black slashes while minimal added something to the jersey. Now they look bland. If they were going to do something like this I would have went with all pewter or orange.

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It may have been mentioned before but the color rush this year has been a missed opportunity for a lot of franchises to use a throwback look. Then again, the whole monochrome thing may handcuff a lot of franchises .

Plus the one-helmet rule...if you're talking real-deal throwback.

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Not the Packers - they have green, gold and white throwbacks to choose from, all from the crazy 1950s.

The mono green and mono gold were even worn with gold helmets, making them ideal candidates for this promotion. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I swear, they were the Oregon of their time - a new uniform every year, changing colors, chasing trends, no consistent identify beyond change itself.  How ironic that the ended the decade with a uniform that survives (largely) unchanged sixty years later. 

I feel like Green Bay just went with what was the closest to a traditional look to not piss anybody off (people are still pissed I assume) and that was just all white. I know all green is something they did before but I think they felt like they already had the throwback look done with the Curly Lambeau throwback.

True, but if they had to do it I would have liked to see their road jersey throw back to the Lombardi era. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I swear, they were the Oregon of their time - a new uniform every year, changing colors, chasing trends, no consistent identify beyond change itself.  How ironic that the ended the decade with a uniform that survives (largely) unchanged sixty years later. 

Similar to the Chicago White Sox.

Funny, I was going to use the White Sox as my example, but then I realized that to anyone under 30, they only remember one White Sox uniform.  

So they're a lot like the Packers, only the Packers were relatively stable until the 1950s, whereas the Sox kept tweaking and changing and monkeying around for about a hundred years, and have since become an absolute model of consistency. 

The White Sox are an interesting case, aren't they? Being born in '92, I'd always assumed as a kid that they'd worn their set or something like it for 60-70 years just like the Yankees or Tigers. It wasn't until I got into uniform history that I realized that wasn't the case at all.

Likewise, I've been similarly surprised that before Lombardi, the Packers changed and tweaked as much as they did. In a way, it makes you appreciate the Packer aesthetic we know now even more - after all, what if they'd settled on a different look before then?

Ah, knowing Lombardi he would have come in and changed it all up anyway.  Just like he did in Washington a couple years later. ;)

Especially if Curly Lambeau's classic uniform had still been worn at that time; Vince wasn't exactly Curly's biggest fan. 

So it's like a high end shirsey. 

It's honestly not a bad option. I appreciate that they're offering a cheaper version, but I'm having a very hard time thinking $80 is worth it for THAT. 

I'd think about it for $50.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Guy on Reddit posted a number of pictures of the lower grade replica, the "Legend" jersey. 

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

Is this dye sublimated? If so, that is a new low.