Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

12 minutes ago, sisdog said:

Is this dye sublimated? If so, that is a new low.

Yes it is. I've got to be honest. I'm actually looking forward to this. I ordered the same jersey and I am excited that it will be more lightweight. The normal Nike game jerseys are so heavy and thick and the numbers always stick to my back. I have the normal home jersey that I maybe wear a couple of times a year and I've had it for four or five years. The numbers are cracking on it. Since this is sublimated, it will look good for a long time. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not the Packers - they have green, gold and white throwbacks to choose from, all from the crazy 1950s.

The mono green and mono gold were even worn with gold helmets, making them ideal candidates for this promotion. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I swear, they were the Oregon of their time - a new uniform every year, changing colors, chasing trends, no consistent identify beyond change itself.  How ironic that the ended the decade with a uniform that survives (largely) unchanged sixty years later. 

I was hoping the middle throwback mono green is what they would have gone with.  Not only for color rush, but for use as the throwback set in the rotation as well.  Frankly, I don't think there are any redeeming qualities to any of their navy/gold stuff.

Personally, I like the navy and gold not only on aesthetic grounds but also for the importance that era has to the team's history.  It's a half-assed recreation, to be sure, but better than nothing.  

I myself wouldn't like to see mono-green in the regular rotation, but that's just because I don't like mono on principle.  But a throwback would have been so much better for this promotion than an alt. 

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Personally, I like the navy and gold not only on aesthetic grounds but also for the importance that era has to the team's history.  It's a half-assed recreation, to be sure, but better than nothing.  

I myself wouldn't like to see mono-green in the regular rotation, but that's just because I don't like mono on principle.  But a throwback would have been so much better for this promotion than an alt. 

I believe those kelly green '50s jerseys also had a set of gold or tan pants that went with them.  I'd love to see that as their next throwback set.

The NFL should use some damn common sense and exempt the Packers and Bears (and Raiders and Colts, for that matter) from Dress Like A Dumbass Day. What is gained by making the Packers, one of the most identifiable sports teams in America, not look like one of the most identifiable sports teams in America? I used to be on board with having white pants as a road option against other yellow-pants teams, but realized it wasn't worth it. Neither is any of this. This isn't even a road game for them!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The NFL should use some damn common sense and exempt the Packers and Bears (and Raiders and Colts, for that matter) from Dress Like A Dumbass Day. What is gained by making the Packers, one of the most identifiable sports teams in America, not look like one of the most identifiable sports teams in America? I used to be on board with having white pants as a road option against other yellow-pants teams, but realized it wasn't worth it. Neither is any of this. This isn't even a road game for them!

Word is msrk faught hard to be exempt and the throwback is the compromise. I can't tell but the pants are silver not white. Not a real color rush then. 

Devil's advocate: Why does one team get exempt from this? What have they done to earn this right to be more important than another team? Just because they were around longer?

But of course, I don't like the idea of color rush to begin with. But if they are going to do something that's league-wide, then it should be league-wide. 

Go A's!

16 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Devil's advocate: Why does one team get exempt from this? What have they done to earn this right to be more important than another team? Just because they were around longer?

Yes, having a strong and time-honored brand should exempt you from having to compromise it. This whole thing sucks up and down. Color Rush is a terrible idea, playing year-round Thursday games is a terrible idea, and making guys dress in silly uniforms for a game of tired dogsh-t football is an exponentially terrible idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm more perplexed by the Raiders not going with black or silver. Both are much easier to get away with than all white with silver numbers. I like the look and I'm going to buy a jersey (Silver away numbers are my favorite Raiders uniform) but I'm honestly irritated the go to idea wasn't done. With all black, all you do is give them black pants and it's really intimindating and a tribute to the Black Hole and going with silver it's a call back to the old Reebok fashion alternate from back in the day.

I had a silver Charles Woodson jersey back in 2003 and I wore the hell out of it through Middle School to the point where the screen printed numbers bled into the mesh and peeled to make it sharp like a cheese grater. Reebok sucked.

bSLCtu2.png

On 9/15/2016 at 8:08 PM, j'villejags said:

Here is their color rush uniform with some orange added to make it look less color-rush...y. 

Bengals.png

That looks really nice. The solid black numbers are clean, and are the correct complement to the solid black shoulder and pant in my opinion. The orange trim they’ve always used is too much. I prefer using the orange as a solid field like the socks and helmet.

Other than that, I might consider a non-tapered pant stripe. I’ve also never liked the reversed coloring of the tiger stripes on the sleeve of the white jersey. Figuring that out is another challenge.

One thing that’s bothered me about these Color Rush uniforms is that they plopped the exact same block numerals on a bunch of teams. I would have preferred some teams use their current numerals or maybe an authentic block style from the throwback era they were inspired by.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

One thing that’s bothered me about these Color Rush uniforms is that they plopped the exact same block numerals on a bunch of teams. I would have preferred some teams use their current numerals or maybe an authentic block style from the throwback era they were inspired by.

What teams are you specifically talking about?  Pretty sure all of the teams are using current font or throwback font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

But of course, I don't like the idea of color rush to begin with. But if they are going to do something that's league-wide, then it should be league-wide. 

It's called the franchise (or cartel in some instances) business model. The league office is funded by the 32 franchises to administer their collective operations. While policies and regulations are essentially managed in a democratic fashion for the benefit of the collective, individual franchises are free to challenge or opt out of policy that they believe does not suit their best interests. The league can either allow exceptions, apply sanctions, or in the most extreme situations revoke a franchise for non-compliance.

There are quite a few stories of interest on the subject out there where franchisee's challenge corporate with varying results some good some bad.

This may have already been brought up, but I highly doubt that the Lions' Color Rush will actually see the field. They're not wearing them this year and have previously said that they were considering changing the uniforms and color scheme for next season. Since that was stated, black has been slowly been removed from team items, such as the marketing material, website, endzone art and even the new cheerleader uniforms.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

On September 17, 2016 at 7:48 PM, the admiral said:

Yes, having a strong and time-honored brand should exempt you from having to compromise it. This whole thing sucks up and down. Color Rush is a terrible idea, playing year-round Thursday games is a terrible idea, and making guys dress in silly uniforms for a game of tired dogsh-t football is an exponentially terrible idea.

I love color rush and Thursday night games. TNF basically kicks off the weekend and usually has pretty competitive games also so many teams wear the same thing season after season it is nice to see a changeup.

Guidelines state teams can use any colors, logos, and uniform designs the franchise ever used. Even if they change their normal set next year doesn't mean their color rush will change. The league might force them to keep the color rush for a few seasons. Might be the same type of 5 year thing as any other uniform change.

10 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

also so many teams wear the same thing season after season it is nice to see a changeup.

Ugh, no thanks.  Some uniforms endure for a reason.  That means leave them the :censored: alone. 

If somebody can't handle the Packers or Cowboys or Jets or Steelers wearing the same thing every year, that's a you problem. Not a team problem. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack having an alt that wasn't a throwback. Seems like most fans that are into uniform design think their own team is untouchable and find something to bitch about anyways. As for the color rush, the pant striping is OK by me, since the focus is on monochrome for the jersey, pants and socks. Might as well have that striping match.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived