Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them replace the current road pants though, so this may have been an unofficial TV test for them. I do agree, the pants stripes should have matched the jersey stripes.

I doubt it, but you never know. My point is that it's just like Nike is always either super wrong (See: Cleveland, Tampa, Jacksonville) or they mostly get a uniform right except for one curious decision that makes no sense. One example off the top of my head: how the Vikings stripe on the white pants isn't the same as the sleeve stripe on the white jersey. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That they're both the same striping scheme makes it even worse that they're not the same widths. The white stripe is so thick you can barely see the red. It's a glaring inconsistency when it would've been so easy to make them consistent. That's why people are having a problem with the pants. 

Does anyone have any contacts inside Nike's design department to get a better understanding behind their rationale? I mean they have to be quality designers to be in that position yet they continually mess up simple design principles. Maybe it's management that's screwing the designers? Honestly, I'd love to know why such a seemingly simple concept can be botched. Has to be a reason.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The away team wears white unless the home team normally wear white at home.

I don't know what you mean, the stripes in their regular pants currently matches the side panels on both jerseys, the new pants don't because they are R/W/R rather than being R/B/R like the jersey side panels. 

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Does anyone have any contacts inside Nike's design department to get a better understanding behind their rationale? I mean they have to be quality designers to be in that position yet they continually mess up simple design principles. Maybe it's management that's screwing the designers? Honestly, I'd love to know why such a seemingly simple concept can be botched. Has to be a reason.

Maybe Nike designed them to utilize already existing templates - they had the manufacturers use the Jets jersey template, and the Patriots pants template from their gray pants, but nobody ever considered that maybe they should use the Jets (or Packers or Bears or Rams or 49ers or Cowboys or Colts or Ravens etc) template for the pants as well. The last part is inexcusable, but I can see how they arrived at the look last night from a manufacturing standpoint. 

Or looking at every other team that got pants for CR that weren't previously a part of their uniform, they utilized the same striping patterns as their regular pants (save: New Orleans and Giants). For most teams, like the Steelers or Bengals, this didn't create any inconsistencies, but for New England it was a very visible clash. It was a dumb oversight on Nike's part. Probably just didn't catch it when designing 32 different uniforms with all those different parts. Drove me nuts last night though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Why are all the teams who have to wear all white for color rush teams who normally wear all white? Would've rather seen the Pats in all white because they don't do it. 

The Packers and Raiders are exceptions to your rule.

It's where I sit.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

The Packers and Raiders are exceptions to your rule.

And the Giants. And the Saints. And the Bengals since it's a different all white uniform than what they normally wear. 

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Why are all the teams who have to wear all white for color rush teams who normally wear all white? Would've rather seen the Pats in all white because they don't do it. 

Other than the five teams listed above, the teams who are having to wear all white are having to do so because the color they picked for their Color Rush uniform clashes with the color of the home team's Color Rush uniform. Nike didn't design a second Color Rush for the teams, so they simply have to wear their normal white away uniform with white socks. The Packers, Raiders, Giants, Saints and Bengals chose white as their color for Color Rush, and therefore have the special edition white uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

25 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Other than the five teams listed above, the teams who are having to wear all white are having to do so because the color they picked for their Color Rush uniform clashes with the color of the home team's Color Rush uniform. Nike didn't design a second Color Rush for the teams, so they simply have to wear their normal white away uniform with white socks. The Packers, Raiders, Giants, Saints and Bengals chose white as their color for Color Rush, and therefore have the special edition white uniforms.

So what would have happened if the schedule lined up to include a Giants vs. Saints Thursday night game? If both teams' designated Color Rush uniform is white, what would the solution be? Would one team wear their normal home jersey whether or not it contained monochrome pants?

9 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

So what would have happened if the schedule lined up to include a Giants vs. Saints Thursday night game? If both teams' designated Color Rush uniform is white, what would the solution be? Would one team wear their normal home jersey whether or not it contained monochrome pants?

That's my assumption, yes. In Madden, it shows teams such as the Steelers, Redskins, etc. using their normal colored road pants with their white "alternative" Color Rush uniform, with the only difference being white socks, so I would assume the same would've applied if one of those teams couldn't wear their white Color Rush uniform. The Saints probably would've gone mono black with solid black socks since they have black pants already, but the Giants, Raiders and Packers probably would've worn their normal home uniform with solid colored socks rather than the normal half color/half white socks.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

52 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Maybe Nike designed them to utilize already existing templates - they had the manufacturers use the Jets jersey template, and the Patriots pants template from their gray pants, but nobody ever considered that maybe they should use the Jets (or Packers or Bears or Rams or 49ers or Cowboys or Colts or Ravens etc) template for the pants as well. The last part is inexcusable, but I can see how they arrived at the look last night from a manufacturing standpoint. 

Or looking at every other team that got pants for CR that weren't previously a part of their uniform, they utilized the same striping patterns as their regular pants (save: New Orleans and Giants). For most teams, like the Steelers or Bengals, this didn't create any inconsistencies, but for New England it was a very visible clash. It was a dumb oversight on Nike's part. Probably just didn't catch it when designing 32 different uniforms with all those different parts. Drove me nuts last night though. 

Makes sense but what a gaffe. You'd think of all things you'd want quality control on it would be the NFL. But maybe Nike has just bitten off more than they can chew when trying to pay attention to details.

1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

As bad as the Patriots gaffe was the Texans is arguably worse. Even if they had to use an existing template, simply use navy instead of red outlines on the pant stripe to make it look like the single stripe on the sleeve.

HOUPANT.jpg

But this is the regular set for the Texans. They did not change anything. They have one stripe on shoulders and same pant stripes as before. My gripe with the patriots pants is that Nike knew the what the jersey was and they could have made the set look great with matching stripes on the pants as the jerseys yet they somehow come to the conclusion that using stripes identical to the Texans just a little wider was a better decision. And then they get the Texans for color rush TNF hahaha  

For the people complaining about the Patriots wearing the Texans pants, how did you feel back when the Giants and Bills used to play each other in the late 80s and early 90s? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 minutes ago, Chawls said:

For the people complaining about the Patriots wearing the Texans pants, how did you feel back when the Giants and Bills used to play each other in the late 80s and early 90s? 

The main complaint isn't that the Patriots' pants looked like the Texans', it's that the striping didn't match that of the jerseys.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Patriots obviously wanted to showcase that blue jersey (hopefully to test a possible change).

Archived