Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

7 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

The Bears are the Arizona Cardinals ...? 

With or without a pre-Challenger championship - either way - I don't understand the comparison.

And yet, seven people ... SEVEN PEOPLE  ... like it.

Their records from about 1991 (last 25 seasons) on are surprisingly similar, or at least much more similar than a HERITAGE CHARTER FOUNDING LEGACY FRANCHISE™ and a twice-relocated punchline ought to be:  

Bears: 191-209, six playoff appearances, lost a Super Bowl, lost an NFC championship game

Cardinals: 167-233, five playoff appearances, lost a Super Bowl, lost an NFC championship game

The Bears average about one more win per season than the Cardinals and lead in postseasons by one in the last quarter-century only because I'm not counting 2016 yet and '91 was the last gasp of the '85 core. To folks like me who were born after the Bears won the Super Bowl, the legend of the Bears doesn't jibe with the seemingly forever-7-9 Bears we've grown up watching. Those two years where the defense ripped the ball away like ten times a game were cool, at least.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

NFL is considering either limiting or eliminating Thursday Night Football. Is the death of Color Rush imminent?

If the league gets rid of TNF, I think Color Rush matchups should move to either Sunday or Monday Night. Maybe the occasional evening game.

I think Color Rush should die with TNF.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

NFL is considering either limiting or eliminating Thursday Night Football. Is the death of Color Rush imminent?

If the league gets rid of TNF, I think Color Rush matchups should move to either Sunday or Monday Night. Maybe the occasional evening game.

No Color Rush -- just eliminate the stupid one helmet rule and allow a little variance on Monday night games for alternate helmets. That I could support. No Color Rush.

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I like the idea of alternate uniforms for TNF or certain games. But making every element of the uniform the same color isn't an alternate uniform. It's something a lazy person does who has no creativity. 

Some of the TNF uniforms were very well designed, and showed plenty of creativity - the Jets' green jerseys and Packers' white pants spring to mind.  Both pay homage to the teams' history in a modern way.  Although I vehemently dislike the promotion, you can't tar them all with the "lazy" brush. 

Not or to mention that for those that were just click-and-fill, the results were certainly better than if Nike designed new uniforms from scratch. 

57 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Some of the TNF uniforms were very well designed, and showed plenty of creativity - the Jets' green jerseys and Packers' white pants spring to mind.  Both pay homage to the teams' history in a modern way.  Although I vehemently dislike the promotion, you can't tar them all with the "lazy" brush. 

Not or to mention that for those that were just click-and-fill, the results were certainly better than if Nike designed new uniforms from scratch. 

The idea as a whole is pretty lazy.

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Nike has said that they actually considered this, but they didn't know what to do for the Texans and Panthers.

Could have honored some World League teams? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh–Durham_Skyhawks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Riders

I wouldn't mind seeing defunct franchises honored. Providence Steam Roller. Akron Pros. Canton Bulldogs. 

I'm sure someone would be creative enough at Nike to give them a Fauxback look. 

iq5b7nF.png

5 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

If the NFL dumps TNF after next season but wants to keep Color Rush, I would just make it a league-wide thing on a single weekend when all 32 teams are playing.

Yes, and preferably early in the season when there are no bye weeks, or a 2 week period around week 8-9

2 hours ago, jc... said:

I wouldn't mind seeing defunct franchises honored. Providence Steam Roller. Akron Pros. Canton Bulldogs. 

Can't do the World League thing. Guidelines state it has to be a colors/logos/uniforms from the Franchsie's history not the City who might have had other teams. This is due to the fact that even if not used anymore the Franchise still has the rights to the old logos and such and the current team wouldn't have the rights to these other logos. Even if the trademark is expired the defunct franchise/organization may still have rights in common law, even though their federal registration is no longer alive. You should also keep in mind that the actual artwork in the logos may be protected under Copyright Law as well by the creator.

2 hours ago, jc... said:

Now that Bud Adams is off giving the bird in Heaven, have the Texans don Oilers throwbacks. That would be a massive hit in Houston. 

As for the Panthers/Jags, maybe you do like a Rays type faux back, or you pull a WLAF or USFL team look out of the closet.  If MLB can throwback to the Negro leagues and such, I don't see why they NFL can't do it, assuming there isn't a rights issue of course. Although I don't think "Raleigh" would work for the Panthers, too far away. (basically the difference between DC and Philly)

22 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Now that Bud Adams is off giving the bird in Heaven, have the Texans don Oilers throwbacks. That would be a massive hit in Houston. 

As for the Panthers/Jags, maybe you do like a Rays type faux back, or you pull a WLAF or USFL team look out of the closet.  If MLB can throwback to the Negro leagues and such, I don't see why they NFL can't do it, assuming there isn't a rights issue of course. Although I don't think "Raleigh" would work for the Panthers, too far away. (basically the difference between DC and Philly)

Read @canzman's post above yours

It's where I sit.

38 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

I saw it, and  I'm aware of the legalities and I meant the team's could seek permission to use them, not just blindly create uniforms based on identities they didn't own the rights to. 

And yet the guidelines say it has to be within the franchise's history. So, the Oilers aren't in the Texans' franchise history, nor are any WLAF or USFL teams.

So I'm not seeing that you understood the requirements,

It's where I sit.

Archived