Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody online is trashing them in Seattle and around the country.  But they won tonight, and the jerseys did sell out.  They will be back next year on Thursday night as long as we don't play the Rams in LA (no yellow vs green).  I think A SF road game would be vs black, and a AZ road game also vs black, so we can go green. 

If you're confused about the Rams not being able to throwback their uniforms, know that teams are limited to have at most FOUR jerseys: ONE home jersey, ONE away jersey, ONE alternate jersey, and ONE color rush alternate; and each are subjected to the five-year rule because of how jerseys are marketed as fanwear; if the team wears it, they gotta make it AND they gotta sell it. The Rams already currently have a jersey in all four categories (Navy home, white away, royal alt, and yellow CR), so there is no way that they'd be able to introduce a new white jersey for this particular game. Teams who DO have white color rush jerseys are unrelated to this case because the special white jersey for each is already designated as their color rush jersey.

The Deacon-era helmets were a nice gesture regardless, IMO, ESPECIALLY in a game that was already doomed aesthetically from the start. I bet we'll see the jerseys come back too as throwback alts when they introduce their new royal and yellow duds in a few years since the current throwbacks will have no use then anyway. :P

5 hours ago, Gupti said:

If you're confused about the Rams not being able to throwback their uniforms, know that teams are limited to have at most FOUR jerseys: ONE home jersey, ONE away jersey, ONE alternate jersey, and ONE color rush alternate; and each are subjected to the five-year rule because of how jerseys are marketed as fanwear; if the team wears it, they gotta make it AND they gotta sell it. The Rams already currently have a jersey in all four categories (Navy home, white away, royal alt, and yellow CR), so there is no way that they'd be able to introduce a new white jersey for this particular game. Teams who DO have white color rush jerseys are unrelated to this case because the special white jersey for each is already designated as their color rush jersey.

The Deacon-era helmets were a nice gesture regardless, IMO, ESPECIALLY in a game that was already doomed aesthetically from the start. I bet we'll see the jerseys come back too as throwback alts when they introduce their new royal and yellow duds in a few years since the current throwbacks will have no use then anyway. :P

Well since this was a clash game, the NFL should allow each team to have an alternate (read WHITE) Color a Rush jersey.  Consider it a backup of sorts.  Excluding the helmets, they basically wore their home uniform.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I agree with everyone about the Seahawks uniforms looking completely washed out. I love them in person, as I have a Richard Sherman one, but they do not translate well to TV. The Rams, on the other hand, looked good. I love the navy and white look. The gold is relegated to a few small spots so it was barely noticeable. I have to believe that they are going with royal and athletic gold for the change in a few years, but an all white look with the white horn decal would be a great alternate.

I like the idea behind the Seahawks uniforms, but it was difficult to watch and I turned it off. It was almost too bright to go against a team in white shirts and pants. It would've looked better if they made it a true color rush and had the Rams in all royal blue. 

I haven't really been following NFL uniform stories that closely this season so when I saw the Rams' helmets in a tweet yesterday I just assumed they'd be wearing throwbacks with them. I like the attempt, but with the regular uniforms I think they looked awful and those would've been better served by waiting for next season to wear them with proper throwback uniforms below the neck. Also, if we're going to let teams wear different helmets for Color rush then they might as well start allowing teams to wear alternate helmets because that's what's happening. This is the third different Rams helmet design this season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

31 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I agree with everyone about the Seahawks uniforms looking completely washed out. I love them in person, as I have a Richard Sherman one, but they do not translate well to TV. The Rams, on the other hand, looked good. I love the navy and white look. The gold is relegated to a few small spots so it was barely noticeable. I have to believe that they are going with royal and athletic gold for the change in a few years, but an all white look with the white horn decal would be a great alternate.

I guarantee that helmet last night was a test run for a white and blue throwback. They'll wear the blue and yellow uniforms full time, but their alternates will be the Fearsome Foursome throwbacks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 hours ago, insert name said:

What's up with the Rams? I was expecting old school uniforms. Not an old school helmet with modern day uni's. Who said this was fine? 

That was my exact thought. Horrible, cheap. 

Seahawks on the other hand looked AMAZING! A bit intense for every week but perfect for 1 game a season. 

19 hours ago, crosfam said:

Everybody online is trashing them in Seattle and around the country.  But they won tonight, and the jerseys did sell out.  They will be back next year on Thursday night as long as we don't play the Rams in LA (no yellow vs green).  I think A SF road game would be vs black, and a AZ road game also vs black, so we can go green. 

God i hope not, they looked hideous.

On 12/16/2016 at 4:50 AM, McCarthy said:

Also, if we're going to let teams wear different helmets for Color rush then they might as well start allowing teams to wear alternate helmets because that's what's happening. This is the third different Rams helmet design this season. 

They can do it because they're just decals.  The Chargers and Broncos did the same thing, as does the Dolphins.  I think even the Giants will have a "throwback helmet" - aka retro decals - on their Color Rush unis.

That stupid one-helmet rule robs us of lots of intriguing designs.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 12/16/2016 at 6:34 AM, C-Squared said:

Glad I'm not the only one who liked the green in principle. I like seeing a team take ownership of a unique color, which meshes perfectly with the Seattle fanbase mentality. I would love to see the Rams work in their yellow color rush jersey in a more traditional set for the same reason.

Agreed here. I've always wanted to see the Steelers in yellow tops (bumblebee unis don't count) since that color hasn't been worn regularly in the NFL in decades.

NSFCvyu.png

On 12/17/2016 at 1:19 PM, Gothamite said:

I'm still hoping against hope that the Rams choose athletic gold jerseys, for just that reason.  

1951_LosAngelesRams_uniform.jpg

Other teams famously use the gold, but nobody uses it that way. 

Someone needs to wear athletic gold as a primary and you're right, it should be the Rams.

No not the Rams. They a blue team and they should always be a blue team. I should mention that of all the jersey I see at the colosseum the yellow color rush ones are probably the least popular. The fact that there are more navy and gold jerseys and it's white version than yellow is a good sign they shouldn't touch it as a primary. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Archived