Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

Does anyone know what the Steelers, Patriots, 49ers or Lions would wear if they were scheduled a Thursday night game away against a dark-colored opponent next year? They are the only teams that don't have a white color rush or a pair of white pants already in their inventory. What would their pants option be?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Does anyone know what the Steelers, Patriots, 49ers or Lions would wear if they were scheduled a Thursday night game away against a dark-colored opponent next year? They are the only teams that don't have a white color rush or a pair of white pants already in their inventory. What would their pants option be?

Either Nike would make them a white pants options or they would just schedule around them being the white team and make them wear color. I think the latter is more likely. 49ers could always scrap their awful black alternate as being Color Rush and switch to the all white 1994 look, that would be cool.

bSLCtu2.png

I want to say back in the late 90,s the 49ers had white pants when they redesigned the font on the uniforms.New England would look good on the road with white pants once and awhile.The navy pants are just too predictable with the white tops.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Either Nike would make them a white pants options or they would just schedule around them being the white team and make them wear color. I think the latter is more likely. 49ers could always scrap their awful black alternate as being Color Rush and switch to the all white 1994 look, that would be cool.

Yup. I would gladly welcome some version of either of these. 

x4MfgvM.jpg

kOR2NKb.jpg

But knowing color rush, they probably will just give them something that will color swap the gold and white on their current pants. 

Go A's!

The Giants color rush really need to become their primary road ASAP. There's actually blue in the jersey. White pants instead of out of place gray ones. They're just gorgeous. Of course the only change I'd make is putting the current logo on the helmet. But I do love the GIANTS script.

On 12/19/2016 at 2:06 PM, masterchaoss said:

No not the Rams. They a blue team and they should always be a blue team. I should mention that of all the jersey I see at the colosseum the yellow color rush ones are probably the least popular. The fact that there are more navy and gold jerseys and it's white version than yellow is a good sign they shouldn't touch it as a primary. 

Or that it's only been worn once and was when they were still in St. Louis might be the reason.

2 hours ago, VikWings said:

The Giants color rush really need to become their primary road ASAP. There's actually blue in the jersey. White pants instead of out of place gray ones. They're just gorgeous. Of course the only change I'd make is putting the current logo on the helmet. But I do love the GIANTS script.

That uniform is pretty good; as I have mentioned before, every team looks great in all white.

Regarding the Giants' primary pants: at first I didn't like the switch from grey to white.  But now I think the white looks good.  It helps that there is historical precedent for that combination.

Related image

But the Colour Rush helmet is bad.  The Giants' wordmark always was a terrible helmet logo; I was delighted when they dumped it and brought in the classic "ny" logo.

The helmet logo that they should use -- perhaps only for Colour Rush, or even permanently -- is the 1975 logo.

Image result for kotar giants 1975

Not only is that logo brilliantly constructed, but it looks great on a helmet.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 12/19/2016 at 10:10 PM, Gupti said:

I'm going to use the Steelers as an example here; in Madden, it has the "CR Alternate" as black helmet, white jersey, yellow pants, white socks, white shoes. Fortunely the Steelers have a white pants option because the yellow helmet throwbacks are in the game, but it is a bit strange. My guess is Nike will just create one-off white pants (or just use the throwback Steelers and 49ers white pants, and the silver pants for the Lions and Patriots, although Madden has the Patriots in their normal white over navy over white look, just with white shoes.)

ExJworW.png

On 12/20/2016 at 1:17 AM, phutmasterflex said:

Yup. I would gladly welcome some version of either of these. 

x4MfgvM.jpg

kOR2NKb.jpg

But knowing color rush, they probably will just give them something that will color swap the gold and white on their current pants. 

Those looks are so much better than their black uniform.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

9 minutes ago, usulkane said:

Eagles wearing green facemasks tonight?  Just saw this tweet by local philly news...could just be a graphics blunder / hadn't heard anything about green masks for this game otherwise. 

fmasks.jpg

Considering that isn't the helmet that the Giants are wearing, I'd vote blunder

It's where I sit.

Looks like it's wrong every week

Found this from Week 5

eagles-lions-matchup.png

And it's been wrong for a while apparently as this is from the preseason 2015 (which I found when looking for last week's game). It's pretty lazy that the local Philly affiliate can't have a proper graphic for the helmet their team has worn for the better part of almost 18 years at this point. 

matchup-eagles-ravens.jpg?itok=Visn9BE_

On 12/21/2016 at 11:14 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That uniform is pretty good; as I have mentioned before, every team looks great in all white.

Regarding the Giants' primary pants: at first I didn't like the switch from grey to white.  But now I think the white looks good.  It helps that there is historical precedent for that combination.

Related image

But the Colour Rush helmet is bad.  The Giants' wordmark always was a terrible helmet logo; I was delighted when they dumped it and brought in the classic "ny" logo.

The helmet logo that they should use -- perhaps only for Colour Rush, or even permanently -- is the 1975 logo.

Image result for kotar giants 1975

Not only is that logo brilliantly constructed, but it looks great on a helmet.

Disagree completely.  Love the ny they currently use, love the old GIANTS wordmark, HATE the 75 NY.  

As for the gray pants, liked them at first, but now prefer the white.  What I would NEVER want to see them go back to was a white jersey on blue pants look from the mid-late 70s.  Just awful.  

Is it even a debate on what the Niners' color rush jerseys should be? Take a page from the Cowboys, Giants, Saints, etc. and go the throwback route. 

49ers.png

P.S. - and, stop trying to look like the Raiders.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, coggs said:

Disagree completely.  Love the ny they currently use, love the old GIANTS wordmark, HATE the 75 NY.  

As for the gray pants, liked them at first, but now prefer the white.  What I would NEVER want to see them go back to was a white jersey on blue pants look from the mid-late 70s.  Just awful.  

I don't like the old GIANTS wordmark on the helmet (wordmarks on helmets almost never look good), but I also much prefer the current NY to the 75 NY.

I know I've said it about a million times, but I really, really prefer the Giants white pants to their greys, to the point that I want to see the Giants adopt white pants full-time at home and on the road. I'm curious to see how the throwback away uniform looks tonight, as it very well might be the Giants' best option for a road uniform.

I do find it interesting that the Giants have never really hit upon a road look that would be theirs. Obviously the current road look has roots in their past, but receives tons of criticism for not incorporating blue into the jersey. Some of their prior road looks were painfully generic. They've never gone with a straight-up inverse of their current home jersey, to my knowledge (plain blue numbers and name on a white jersey). I tend to think that a recolored version of their current road jersey, swapping out red for blue, might look great. But it's amazing how over a 90 year history, they've never had a road look that truly stuck.

53 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I don't like the old GIANTS wordmark on the helmet (wordmarks on helmets almost never look good), but I also much prefer the current NY to the 75 NY.

I know I've said it about a million times, but I really, really prefer the Giants white pants to their greys, to the point that I want to see the Giants adopt white pants full-time at home and on the road. I'm curious to see how the throwback away uniform looks tonight, as it very well might be the Giants' best option for a road uniform.

I do find it interesting that the Giants have never really hit upon a road look that would be theirs. Obviously the current road look has roots in their past, but receives tons of criticism for not incorporating blue into the jersey. Some of their prior road looks were painfully generic. They've never gone with a straight-up inverse of their current home jersey, to my knowledge (plain blue numbers and name on a white jersey). I tend to think that a recolored version of their current road jersey, swapping out red for blue, might look great. But it's amazing how over a 90 year history, they've never had a road look that truly stuck.

The roads they wore in the 80's and 90's were opposites.  Blue jersey white numbers, red outline.  White jersey with blue numbers and red outline.  Sleeve stripes were contrasting as well.  On the blue jersey it was red-white-red. On the white it was blue-red-blue.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Is it even a debate on what the Niners' color rush jerseys should be? Take a page from the Cowboys, Giants, Saints, etc. and go the throwback route. 

49ers.png

P.S. - and, stop trying to look like the Raiders.

Black sells.  Until it doesn't, teams won't stop trying to use it.

40 minutes ago, coggs said:

The roads they wore in the 80's and 90's were opposites.  Blue jersey white numbers, red outline.  White jersey with blue numbers and red outline.  Sleeve stripes were contrasting as well.  On the blue jersey it was red-white-red. On the white it was blue-red-blue.

Right, but they've never used an inverse of their current home jersey (i.e. without any red whatsoever). The closest they've ever come was 1968-1974, which is probably the best Giants' look in history, IMO:

1974_NYGiants.png

Archived