Expos logo discussed on sitcom in 1988

Ferdinand Cesarano

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid my little league team was the Expos for 3 straight years. None of us knew what the hell the thing on our hats was supposed to be. This being the mid 90s we had no way of figuring it out except primitive web searching. I remember reading an SI for Kids in my school library where a kid wrote the magazine asking them to explain the logo. I wish I could find it, but from what I remember they said the big shape was an M, the e was obviously an e for Expos and the b was for baseball. No mention of the worm above the e. That always bothered me - that the other shapes in the M represented a letter, but the worm was nothing? How could it be nothing if the other two were something?

I was always jealous of the kids in the league that got to be on the Reds or Orioles or Blue Jays. The teams with the "cool" hats. Now I'm glad I got 3 free Expos snapbacks. They're still in the closet of my childhood bedroom at my parents' house.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I reverted to the tried-and-true "ask my girlfriend" method again.

I showed her this Expos logo:

EXPOS_LOGO.png

The exchange went like this:

Me: "What is this supposed to be?"

Her: "First off, what the hell are the Expos?"

Me: "A baseball team."

Her: "An old baseball team? I've never heard of them. What a stupid name."

Me: "Yes, it's an old team. But what's the logo?"

Her: "Umm...what city were they from?"

Me: "Montreal."

Her: (obvious tone) "Oh, it's totally a French flag M. Stupid name, but I like their logo. You should get their hat."

Two things have been learned from this:

1. We are stupid and the Expos' name is stupid

2. I have actually received permission and suggestion to buy another hat

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I remember a baseball card I had when I was a kid, around 1990 I think. I forget the brand, but the cards had a yellow border. On the front of the team checklists was the team logo and on the back under the list of player cards was a trivia item. The one for the Expos claimed that the logo stood for "everybody loves baseball"

nhl94vansigpng.png

I remember a baseball card I had when I was a kid, around 1990 I think. I forget the brand, but the cards had a yellow border. On the front of the team checklists was the team logo and on the back under the list of player cards was a trivia item. The one for the Expos claimed that the logo stood for "everybody loves baseball"

That'd be 1991 Fleer. Brb, looking this up

I like that "french flag M" idea more than anything else that's been said before. I'm going with that one.

That would be a backwards French flag, though.

stock-footage-french-flag-waving-against

Montreal-Expos-Vintage-Snapback-Krudmart

Whoops. Another logo fail. :P

Nah, they're just keen on the previous design :P

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_France_(1791-1792)

I always, and still do, see a Jb. Why is there no loop/swirl on the right end of the M? It's so difficult to make out. It has the potential to be a great logo, but needs refinement BIG TIME.

I reverted to the tried-and-true "ask my girlfriend" method again.

I showed her this Expos logo:

EXPOS_LOGO.png

The exchange went like this:

Me: "What is this supposed to be?"

Her: "First off, what the hell are the Expos?"

Me: "A baseball team."

Her: "An old baseball team? I've never heard of them. What a stupid name."

Me: "Yes, it's an old team. But what's the logo?"

Her: "Umm...what city were they from?"

Me: "Montreal."

Her: (obvious tone) "Oh, it's totally a French flag M. Stupid name, but I like their logo. You should get their hat."

Two things have been learned from this:

1. We are stupid and the Expos' name is stupid

2. I have actually received permission and suggestion to buy another hat

hannibal-well-done.gif

sig.png

That'd be 1991 Fleer. Brb, looking this up

something like this?

3179koqlf9L.jpg155-240Bk.jpg

Per request, my girlfriend's thoughts on the Nordiques' logo:

320px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

Me: "Hey, I have another logo for you. What is this?"

Her: "Okay... obviously it's hockey. Which team?"

Me: "Quebec Nordiques."

Her: "Never heard of them either. Are they still a team?"

Me: "No, they moved to Colorado in 1995."

Her: "I was going to say, this logo looks like it's from the 1970s. Why did all the French-Canadian teams move?"

Me: "Great question, but what's the logo?"

Her: "An igloo and a hockey stick? Seems pretty obvious. Is there supposed to be something else?"

Me: "Some people say that the igloo is also a lowercase N for Nordiques."

Her: "...no, not really. I guess it could be, because it's a really 1970s looking logo. But I don't think so. And the hockey puck looks weird sitting on top of the stick like that. It looks like a ball."

Me: "Can I get a hat with this logo on it too?"

Her: "I mean, if you want. I don't like this logo as much as the other one, but I don't hate it. It's quirky, but it's kind of weird."

There ya go.

I have a Nords hat and a Whalers hat and I stopped wearing them often because they were a magnet for fat middle aged white strangers coming up and talking to me. Basically this board in human form only less composed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have a Nords hat and a Whalers hat and I stopped wearing them often because they were a magnet for fat middle aged white strangers coming up and talking to me. Basically this board in human form only less composed.

Pretty much the reason I don't wear anything of either team.

Can you imagine wearing some article of Whalers clothing to Walgreens and being asked about some sort of Andrew Cassels minutia by a displaced New Englander? I think I'd probably mumble "Ijustlikethelogo" and dive into the nearest bin of generic 99-cent rubber "sports balls."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived