Ferdinand Cesarano

Expos logo discussed on sitcom in 1988

I'd lean toward yes, but it's hard to say with certainty because there's no "bring back the Expos" movement on par with the "bring back the Nordiques" movement, which, like I've said, wants the same name, colors, logo, and uniform.

You don't think failures are talked about for decades afterwards?

This is the Internet - Fails have a much longer shelf life than successes. :P

Was'nt a failure in 1969, thats my point.

Its not perfect, its not a failure IMHO.

The current Jacksonville Jaguars helmets would be a terrible failure in 1969, and even today..

Like the Jaguars' helmets, it was a bad design then and remains a bad design today.

Does anyone think a new Montreal team would be named Expos again, or would they come up with something new?

They all say its gonna be the return of the Expos. It still means something for baseball fans in MTL.

But as no investor has gone public on the name, who knows.

Back on topic: The Expos brand, in my opinion is one of the worst ever in sports.

And one of the parts that people don't discuss, which I'll go into graphically below, is that it is terribly rendered from a technical sense, and graphically incorrect in what it is trying to supposedly convey (according to the official description).

Briefly, though, a few thoughts before I go into that.

1. Naming a team for a world's fair that occurred 2 years before the team first played is a goofy idea. I know the World's Fair was a great success and was a point of pride for those of Montreal, but seriously? Expos? Not to be outdone, Montreal did the same type of thing again a few years later, naming their first NASL team the Olympiques, one year after the city was awarded that event.

The name does seem a little weird. But we should consider the times. Quebec was just shaking off its reputation as a backwards and religiously-hidebound region, and was beginning to assert itself as a progressive part of modern Canada.

There was something of an inferiority complex in the province, one which made Expo '67 more significant to Montreal than World's Fairs would be to any other city. Montreal saw the Expo as a means of announcing itself as one of the world's major cities; whereas New York and Chicago already had that status independent of their World's Fairs. So the Expo holds a place in the collective identity of Montreal that is not matched by World's Fairs in any U.S. city.

[Tangent alert.]

You know what is a really bizarre naming trend, one which makes "Montreal Expos" seem downright sensible? How about disaster names: the Chicago Fire and the San Jose Earthquakes. Both of these MLS names debuted in the 1970s, in the WFL and the NASL, respectively.

This is macabre. What's next in this series? The New Orleans Hurricanes? The Florida Sinkholes? A cheeky English bloke once suggested the London Plague.

One time a disaster-related name had to be changed because it had been thought up not by locals who considered the disaster to be part of the city's identity, but by owners who never actually meant to refer to the disaster. The XFL intended to call its Birmingham team the "Birmingham Blast". But that name inadvertently evoked a 1960s bombing of a black church, so it was changed to "Birmingham Bolts".

[End of tangent.]

The critiques about the geometric flaws of the M logo are interesting. And I appreciate B. Rich going to the trouble of making his case in such detail.

But I think that he actually proved a point opposite to the one which he was trying to make.

What I am saying is this: I cannot dispute the imbalance of the M logo, as demonstrated by B. Rich's illustrations. But if you have to go to such great lengths to show the imbalance, then the imbalance doesn't matter. The problem is not detectable with the naked eye; therefore, for all practical purposes, it doesn't exist.

It is true, however, that the logo is open to interpretation, and that the team's own interpretation changed over time. (There wasn't supposed to be a "b" originally; later on they said there was a "b" in there.) I will concede that that is a flaw, even though I think that this flaw is made up for by the indefinable aesthetic pleasingness of the whole thing.

And I see nothing at all wrong with the lowercase wordmark. That typeface looked beautiful alongside the team's unique number font.

So I must disagree essentially entirely with the assertion that the Expos' brand was badly executed. I'd say that the team got it almost perfect at the beginning (the "almost" refers to front numbers being red for a few years before they were changed to blue).

The 1980s racing stripes, while garish and out of harmony with the rest of the aesthetic, did only minor harm to the Expos' visual identity.

It was the 1990s redesign which was the real mistake. This change, like that of the 1985 Padres, saw the discarding of a unique design that was on its way to iconic status, and the introduction of a generic look that was lacking both in distinctiveness and in charm.

FWIW, the term "Chicago Fire" is not just a reference to the historical disaster, it's also a colloquialism for the city's fire department, which is why the MLS team uses a firefighter-themed logo.

1024px-Chicago_Fire_Soccer_Club.svg.png

Guys, we're talking real sports here. Seriously though, I'm sure they chose the name fire because of "the great Chicago fire" which everybody has heard of. But they picked that logo because it works with the name and they couldn't really make a logo showing Michigan Avenue ablaze.

Guys, we're talking real sports here. Seriously though, I'm sure they chose the name fire because of "the great Chicago fire" which everybody has heard of. But they picked that logo because it works with the name and they couldn't really make a logo showing Michigan Avenue ablaze.

Boo! I want fiery logos! :P

I'd lean toward yes, but it's hard to say with certainty because there's no "bring back the Expos" movement on par with the "bring back the Nordiques" movement, which, like I've said, wants the same name, colors, logo, and uniform.

Well, here's an interesting article I found from August.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/sports/baseball/baseball-fever-remains-in-montreal-with-hope-of-a-new-team.html?_r=0

Tampa would be the obvious choice for the team that relocates, but then Montreal still would have to get a stadium plan in place in pretty short order. Is Olympic stadium even usable anymore?

I used to read the logo as "JB"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/sports/baseball/baseball-fever-remains-in-montreal-with-hope-of-a-new-team.html?_r=0

Tampa would be the obvious choice for the team that relocates, but then Montreal still would have to get a stadium plan in place in pretty short order. Is Olympic stadium even usable anymore?

I think Olympic would be usable

I believe you mean Le Stade Olympique. lol

I remember a baseball card I had when I was a kid, around 1990 I think. I forget the brand, but the cards had a yellow border. On the front of the team checklists was the team logo and on the back under the list of player cards was a trivia item. The one for the Expos claimed that the logo stood for "everybody loves baseball"

That'd be 1991 Fleer. Brb, looking this up

something like this?

3179koqlf9L.jpg155-240Bk.jpg

Yes!

Guys, we're talking real sports here.

Yes. Yes he was.

It'd be seen as a temporary home while a permanent stadium were built. Two years, maybe three. It'd be seen as a non-starter as a permanent home now, though.

Remembered the Winnipeg Whips. They were the AAA farm team of the Expos. Like a lot of minor league clubs at the time, they had uniforms and a logo inspired by the big league club.

8258957807_e6de81b049_b.jpg

I think it's actually a huge improvement over the original - it has the bright colors and rounded shapes of the Expos, but still very clearly a "W".

True to the period without losing the point as Montreal did.

CGsN9OgUIAAsqTd.jpg

Gorgeous.

I wouldn't mind a flipped version of that for the reborn Expos, if that ever happens.

I can sense the "Pepsi" remarks coming though.

Ugh, that ones even worse...

Even though I have said that I never perceived a J in the Expos' logo, I do see how the logo's left side, taken alone, resembles a J.

And the team itself also saw this, as it used the left half of the logo as the cap logo for its AA Southern League affiliate the Jacksonville Expos.

jack87.jpg

We see that the team used the full Expos logo on the uniform. I think it would have made more sense to use the cap logo there, too, probably without the wordmark, which would be too wide to fit properly under the J logo. But clearly they didn't want to go to that expense, and so just used older Major League uniforms as they were.

That Jacksonville Expos logo shows exactly why the Montreal version fails - it forms a perfect letter in the way the other doesn't.

I wouldn't mind a flipped version of that for the reborn Expos, if that ever happens.

Yep. Flip the Whips' logo around, and it would have made an excellent M logo for the Expos.

blogger-image-1214462777.jpg

Far from perfect, but at least that one actually looks like an M. Instant improvement if only for that reason.

The Jacksonville logo shows a J & a E..... making it really clever.