Stateside Soccer Federation - Sponsors; COMPLETE

jdp

Railsplitters SC - located in Chicago

23694811632_0b13564f8b_o.jpg

Inspiration: A railsplitter is one who splits wood for use in fencing. Illinois’ most-famous resident, Abraham Lincoln, was known as the Railsplitter. And Illinois is the Land of Lincoln. The crest incorporates the axes used to make the rails, and the top is a nod to fences. Colors were chosen to align with other professional teams in the state: the Bulls and Blackhawks for sure, but even the other pro teams utilize red and/or black in some capacity.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work on all of the ones I missed (Badlanders to Railsplitters)! They all have cool elments that make them unique, And I really like everything you did with them! Great job.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Spectacular so far. Can't wait for you to make my home state. Needless to say, our pro sports teams are never that great. Or look really good when it comes to branding.

Too much pressure. ;) Kind of rethinking what I've already done now.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Back to it...

Wild Indiana SC - located in Indianapolis

23694811542_5f6796dcb8_o.jpg

Inspiration: Admittedly, Wild Indiana might be a little out there, in terms of the name and the primary colors. They don’t necessarily scream Indiana. But, at one point in its history, Indiana was considered the West/wilderness. In fact, the buffalo here is facing left (west on a map)--as it does in the state seal--to represent an escape from advancing civilization. The X behind the buffalo represents Indiana's motto: Crossroads of America. The colors were chosen to represent something of a stereotypical frontiersman, a la Daniel Boone. But putting tassels on the kit was a little too much. The clash kit completely abandons the wilderness theme and reverts to a truer Under Armour kit.

Pretty good. But for me it doesn't really say Indiana. However I love the Buffalo and color scheme.

My state isn't here yet. But it will be.

Based on your profile pic, I'm assuming you are Missouri. That division is nearly complete, so hold tight.

Explorateur SC - located in Milwaukee
23176440143_20e86ba219_o.jpg
Inspiration: The Driftless Area in Wisconsin. And with that came along stories of explorers--lots of French explorers, in fact, which is why the team is Explorers, but in French. The team originally was set to debut as AS Explorateur. Given the domestic nature of the league, the team decided to utilize SC instead. The crest features an oar and a pickaxe to evoke the sailor and the miner from the state seal. The home kit has on its chest a sublimated terrain map of the Driftless Area. The clash kit is blaze orange, for any of you hunters out there.

Western theme is strong here. Like you said, it doesn't scream Indiana, but with your explanation, I think it works. I would like to see the darker brown continue to the back of the home kit.

Yeah, it's cool, and the explanation makes it work.

LOVE Explorateur, fits Wisconsin perfectly, and looks great, too.

Uh huh. Really nice work on these two.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Now that the Great Lakes are done, we're headed back west a little bit for the

PRAIRIE DIVISION...

Iowa Monks SC - located in Des Moines
23803316515_e21d579507_o.jpg
Inspiration: This one may not be as obvious, but given that this team resides in Des Moines, the Monks moniker makes sense. “des Moines” can be translated as “of the monks.” As for the crest, the shape is derived from one of the original state crests. And similar to the other “I” states (in one of which I was born and raised), they love to just use the letter I for things.

I've been lurking this thread (as well as some of its previous incarnations), and I've really enjoyed each and every single one of these concepts! They're really unique, imaginative, and very original! They do a really great job at capturing the feel of the states, especially less-populated states (such as Alaska, Wyoming, etc.) that don't see sports concepts on here very often.

I wish I could understand the references in the sponsorships, though... :/

NY should be Goliath National Bank

Ha! Didn't even think of that one; I had another in mind. But maybe the NY team is so rich and powerful they were able to get a primary and clash sponsor.

Or one in front, one at the back below the number

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

South Wind United - located in Wichita

23803316395_9c972eaee0_o.jpg

Inspiration: Like other states in the Midwest, this team’s namesake derives from Native Americans. Kansas itself is named for a tribe called Kansa, which translates to “people of the south wind.” The “United” comes from the fact that Kansas, when originally opened to settlement, was contested by both pro- and anti-slavery advocates. “United” honors the common ground eventually reached. As for the shape and color, sunflowers were an obvious choice. The shape is actually the sunflower used on the state road signs. "Thirty Four" is on the back of the kits, representing the order in which it became a state.

Express SC - located in Omaha

23176520743_c57048bfed_o.jpg

Inspiration: Nebraska was on the Pony Express route, and original Pony Express stations still exists there. Hence, Express SC and the rider in the crest. Similar to Kansas, this shape comes from state highway markers.

(Coincidentally, in all this research, I’m realizing there are several states that have highway markers that could do pretty well as a soccer crest.)

OK, so it seems Kansas and Nebraska did nothing for you all. Well, how about Minnesota?

Minnesota United - located in Minneapolis

23720884721_649cb96cfd_o.jpg

Inspiration: Another United team, but this is more related to the fact that the state has the Twin Cities. The North Star is a significant symbol of the state, but since the NHL North Stars already made a claim to that, United wanted to change it up. Something that meant north without being the star. And the compass was born. The needle also splits the M and the U, meant as a nod to both the Twin Cities and United alike. The Vikings’ colors were adopted--albeit darker--but the clash kit is meant to honor hockey. Similar to Manchester City’s away kit, the sleeves have a sublimated gradient, only instead of the moon like City, this is that of a frozen lake--after a hockey game.

NOTE: Yes, there is already an actual Minnesota United, but the name works so well, I decided to keep it.

Archived