Stateside Soccer Federation - Sponsors; COMPLETE

jdp

1 hour ago, jmoe12 said:

Love the kits, minus the bevel on the H. Also, shouldn't Dunder Mifflin be sponsoring the Pennsylvania team? I mean, there is the Stamford branch, but Scranton is a bit more famous.

I wrestled with Scranton vs. Stamford, but Pennsylvania had others sponsors I could utilize.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jersey Blue SC - located in Newark

23774229522_af3e374dde_o.jpg

Inspiration: The Jersey Blues, also known as the 1st New Jersey Regiment, were a militia formed during the Revolutionary War. When George Washington took command of them, he ordered them to wear similar uniforms as he did, which is where the team and the state gets its official colors: Jersey Blue and Buff. The crest is not just an oval: it is the shape of a strap buckle the regiment would have worn, and the starburst (for lack of a better term) in the crest is that of a medal that would have been awarded to a soldier in the regiment. These adidas kits, as opposed to the newer ones currently debuting where the stripes are on the torso, because the three stripes are on the shoulders. Because the kits were designed to evoke Revolutionary uniforms, the shoulders were the preferred placement.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Keystone FSC - located in Philadelphia

23514643189_05407c2cdf_o.jpg

Inspiration: The inspiration for this club comes from its hard-working past. The crest features the black horses from the state flag and seal. “Forge Ahead” was created to evoke both the state’s history of steelwork and the vision of the club. As for the kits, the stripes from the crest transfer to the primary jersey. The clash kit utilizes that state’s official colors, and incorporates a sublimated horse from the crest.

On January 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM, jdp said:

The red hen was ripe for the plucking, so to speak. The crest includes two red hens flanking the top of the Breakers mansion’s front gate, located in Newport.

* The size of the combs and wattles on the supporters flanking the crest are more indicative of a Rhode Island Red rooster, as opposed to a hen. Hens of the species sport smaller combs and wattles than those depicted in the crest.

* Given that Ocean State SC is based in Providence, why did you choose to utilize a decorative feature from a Newport-based structure as the centerpiece of the club's crest? Why not opt for the crown-piece of Brown University's iconic Van Wickle Gates? Built with the bequest of Brown alumnus Augustus Stout Van Wickle, the Van Wickle Gates main gate is, by tradition, opened just twice per year: inward during Convocation, when first year students enter the main campus and are welcomed by a gathering of the Brown University community, and outward for Commencement, when graduating seniors process out. 

On January 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM, jmoe12 said:

Love the kits, minus the bevel on the H. Also, shouldn't Dunder Mifflin be sponsoring the Pennsylvania team? I mean, there is the Stamford branch, but Scranton is a bit more famous.

Alas, the Stamford branch of Dunder Mifflin was closed and its operations were merged with those of the Scranton office. :P 

If memory serves me, the locations that remained when the American version of The Office concluded its run on NBC were the corporate headquarters in New York, along with branch offices in Scranton (PA), Akron (OH), Albany (NY), Nashua (NH), and Utica (NY).  

2 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

* The size of the combs and wattles on the supporters flanking the crest are more indicative of a Rhode Island Red rooster, as opposed to a hen. Hens of the species sport smaller combs and wattles than those depicted in the crest.

* Given that Ocean State SC is based in Providence, why did you choose to utilize a decorative feature from a Newport-based structure as the centerpiece of the club's crest? Why not opt for the crown-piece of Brown University's iconic Van Wickle Gates? Built with the bequest of Brown alumnus Augustus Stout Van Wickle, the main gate is, by tradition, opened just twice per year: inward during Convocation, when first year students enter the main campus and are welcomed by a gathering of the Brown University community, and outward for Commencement, when graduating seniors process out. 

1 - That is merely a mistake, then. Frankly, I Googled "red hen" and went with the image the search provided.

2 - Valid point. I did not know about those gates, to be honest. However, I did branch out to other parts of the state because the team's are meant to represent the entirety of the state. In this instance, I didn't mind incorporating elements from various locations.

30 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Alas, the Stamford branch of Dunder Mifflin was closed and its operations were merged with those of the Scranton office. :P 

If memory serves me, the locations that remained when the American version of The Office concluded its run on NBC were the corporate headquarters in New York, along with branch offices in Scranton (PA), Akron (OH), Albany (NY), Nashua (NH), and Utica (NY).  

Forgot all about Stamford closing

15 hours ago, davidmiller5 said:

I would love for Keystone FSC's crest to be in the shape of a keystone.  I know you have one in the crest, but I think it makes sense to emphasize the Keystone.  Also what does FSC stand for?  (Football/Soccer Club??)

I thought about the keystone, but it seemed to on-the-nose. It does make sense, though. FSC is Federation Soccer Club, a la AFC.

EDIT: For some suggestions (like the keystone), I will go back and update kits, crests, etc. Just going to wait until I get all the teams posted.

Excelsior Athletic - located in New York City

23942441020_b8699a679a_o.jpg

Inspiration: “Excelsior” is New York state’s motto. The shape and the colors come from the state seal and the flag of New York City, respectively. The banners in the crest, however, come from the Bronx flag. As for the kits, the primary stays true to the team colors, but the clash diverts wildly because, well, it’s Nike.

NOTE: Fo the keen observers, that clash looks like Galatasaray's kit. While researching Nike looks, that one stood out to me, and I thought it would work with a team as big as Excelsior.

45 minutes ago, rsaline said:

On Excelsior, I read it as FA rather than EA. Maybe you could change the top of the E?

Drats. I was afraid of that. I tried it with the top line extended, but that looked cluttered. I'll give it another shot.

Last of the Megalopolis Division.

Wilmington Wonders

23858711364_03cfeb8d9e_o.jpg

Inspiration: The grey fox is the state wildlife animal, and so it was adopted as a kind of mascot. The colors behind it, though, are taken from the state seal/flag; blue is considered the primary color because it represents the Delaware River. You might also notice there is a W in each of the fox’s ears.

NOTE: Thoughts on the fox? I’ve been trying to get better at rendering animals (specifically for logo purposes) and this is one of a few foxes I came up with. Just looking for some critiques.

FYI - For those of you who care, I added links to specific teams here.

A division map and sponsor list will be posted there, too, soon enough. Only 10 teams left, and then you can be done with me... until my next series (bwahahahaha)!

The fox is a good start, but I think it can be improved. I love the details that you used in the ear. What bothers me is the eyes.I think you could do without the shadow underneath. Also, the shade of gray is to close to the primary color of the fox, so you could darken that up a bit. Maybe bring all of the stroke lines to a point? Good work, though, it's better than Leicester City's fox!

On 1/23/2016 at 8:01 AM, rsaline said:

The fox is a good start, but I think it can be improved. I love the details that you used in the ear. What bothers me is the eyes.I think you could do without the shadow underneath. Also, the shade of gray is to close to the primary color of the fox, so you could darken that up a bit. Maybe bring all of the stroke lines to a point? Good work, though, it's better than Leicester City's fox!

You know, I thought about all the strokes coming to a point, but the more I looked at the squared-off strokes, the more I liked them. Regardless, I'll see how it looks. I didn't think about getting rid of the lines under the eyes, though. Definitely going to try that.

On 1/23/2016 at 8:27 AM, sleuthpanther said:

Just bringing up some cox faces quickly on Google, I think what you have looks like a bobcat or something. The nose or snout area needs to be brought out a little, and like the guy above me said there needs to be more contrast between the greys.

I thought it was coming off more as a wolf, but it still kind of fit into my reference picture. Working on the contrast and the snout.

Thanks for the feedback! I will post revisions in a separate thread from this, if you are interested in the progress.

Moving on to the PIEDMONT DIVISION - According to Wikipedia, “The Piedmont is a plateau region located in the eastern United States between the Atlantic Coastal Plain…” Each state in this division is touched by the region.

SC Palmetto - located in Columbia

23774243022_ae1254469f_o.jpg

Inspiration: That’s not “Soccer Club,” but rather South Carolina--the Palmetto State. SCP largely abandoned the colors of the state flag, but the palmetto tree remains and is incorporated into a portion of the state seal. The exact crescent from the flag does not make an appearance. However, the pentagon is meant as a replacement, and as a way to bring in a touch of soccer.

Old North SC - located in Charlotte

23882570865_a64d68fc4a_o.jpg

Inspiration: Old North used the state flag as a launching point, and kept running with it. Puma does have a tendency to include some brighter colors on clash and third kits, so that’s why you see a sky blue here rather than red or white from the flag.

Archived