2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

That Flames C that was posted is worse than the logo they've used for 35 years. The weights are inconsistent, it takes longer to convey the same message, and requires more lines. It's not an improvement. On top of that the Flames have 35+ years of brand equity invested in the one they have. Why would they throw all of that away to use a slightly different and much worse logo? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"What's your favorite team?"

"The Edmonton Oilers"
"Oh, what's their mascot?"
"A considerably aggrieved Maine coon"

CreamSoda couldn't be more defensive of this stupid mascot if it locked out the players' union!

I just like big cats!

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well the Flames are another example of a team that's been lost in the wilderness since abandoning a Championship-era look.

Well, here's where we disagree because...

The 2003-07 look was pretty solid, but it didn't stick around. And look at what's happened. The Cup-era Flames look is slowly making its way back into the rotation after years of ineffective brand tinkering.

In my opinion the 2003-07 set was the best in franchise history.  The only reason it didn't stick around is because the Flames were forced to adopt the Edge uniform system and went with a wacky template.  If they hadn't I have no doubt the 2003 set would be here today.  Maybe they would have ditched Horse from the shoulders but that's about it.

Also the Flames concept you keep posting sucks worse than even the Snot Horse.

Here's where we're in full agreement :P .

Does anyone know which of these two Penguins logos is the "official" logo?

2014-16 throwback: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2412772015/Pittsburgh_Penguins/2015/Throwback_Logo

June 2016: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2463622017/Pittsburgh_Penguins/2017/Primary_Logo

The most noticeable difference is the penguin's eye. The stick blade is a tad different and so are the skates, including the white markings on the skate toes.

The first one was used on the throwbacks the past two seasons and is identical to when the logo used Vegas gold. It's also the crest on the home and new away. The second logo is listed as the new primary on this site and the new eye is used as the tab icon on your browser when you are on the Penguins' website. It's also the same penguin that is on the 50th anniversary logo. Both penguins are used on the team's site.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Does anyone know which of these two Penguins logos is the "official" logo?

2014-16 throwback: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2412772015/Pittsburgh_Penguins/2015/Throwback_Logo

June 2016: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2463622017/Pittsburgh_Penguins/2017/Primary_Logo

The most noticeable difference is the penguin's eye. The stick blade is a tad different and so are the skates, including the white markings on the skate toes.

The first one was used on the throwbacks the past two seasons and is identical to when the logo used Vegas gold. It's also the crest on the home and new away. The second logo is listed as the new primary on this site and the new eye is used as the tab icon on your browser when you are on the Penguins' website. It's also the same penguin that is on the 50th anniversary logo. Both penguins are used on the team's site.

I mentioned these differences (as well as the stick knobs being different and the thumb area on the penguin's left hand glove) to Chris earlier this year and was kind of surprised it didn't end up as a story on the main site, because I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere before. They are both official logos, just one is used for print/media and the other for the jersey crest, as you noted. Similar to the Philadelphia Flyers print/media and jersey crest differences (as well as the Yankees in MLB).

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Penguins new road uniform in action:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great to see those classic whites in action. 

However, it would look really cool to see the Pens' old yellows in action against Red Wings' reds sometime in the future. I always loved red vs yellow match-ups. Memories of the Canucks playing the Flames at the Pacific Coliseum. 

Penguins14.png

Like the black jerseys, there are issues with that set that should've been corrected rather than going for a straight shot-for-shot throwback (the sock stripes and the inexplicable floating yellow hem stripe on the whites being my main gripes). 

But it's much better than the khaki EDGE uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, McCarthy said:

Like the black jerseys, there are issues with that set that should've been corrected rather than going for a straight shot-for-shot throwback (the sock stripes and the inexplicable floating yellow hem stripe on the whites being my main gripes). 

But it's much better than the khaki EDGE uniforms. 

The "floating yellow hem stripe" is no longer just floating like on the originals, it matches the gold-white-black stripes seen on the arms. That's how it always should have been, really.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

5 minutes ago, hockey week said:

The "floating yellow hem stripe" is no longer just floating like on the originals, it matches the gold-white-black stripes seen on the arms. That's how it always should have been, really.

It's bigger in size, but it still appears for no reason when the black jersey doesn't have a stripe there. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The hem stripes should really be identical to the ones on the Robo-Pen whites.  But honestly, it's such a massive improvement over the click-and-fill garbage they've been subjected to these last eight years that I'm not going to complain.  The Penguins look like a legitimate hockey team again and not some guinea pig for RBK's "vision."

Archived