2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

Could Montreal even support a second team today? I feel like there's no way you can take the market away from the Habs

There's enough people, theoretically.  If the Maroons never stopped existing, they would probably do pretty well today.  Starting a new team now is a whole different animal.

6 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

Could Montreal even support a second team today? I feel like there's no way you can take the market away from the Habs

Yeah, not now. But it would sort of be akin to the Yankees/Mets, which came later, but still early enough where there was still a divide with fans from when the Dodgers and Giants were around.

Hockey just got hit hard with the depression.

Even if the Maroons made a comeback in the 40s or 50s, I still believe they would have stayed afloat even through the 90's Great Canadian Purge. A second Montreal team would be better off than at least 2/3 of the league. 

sig.png

19 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

Could they: They could.

Would they: Not a chance.

There's too much invested in Habs marketing. Not only for the entire Island of Montreal, but also most the subburb regions and beyond. Hell, I've come in contact on Twitter with a Canadiens fan from the UK.

If Montreal decided to bring in a new team, the divide would be financially catastrophic for stockholders.

If the Maroons never folded, I'd guess that they'd still be in the league, although as a distant second behind the Habs in Montreal. The English-French rivalry would've probably hit a fever pitch in the late 60's and throughout the 70's. I think the only thing that would've kept the Maroons afloat during the late 70's and beyond would be the (presumed) refusal of Anglophone fans to switch their allegiances to the Habs if the Maroons were to ever move. I could see Habs-Maroons turning into a North American version of the FC Barcelona-RCD Espanyol rivalry in Catalonia, in terms of being a lopsided rivalry based around language politics and culture.

Would also guess that the Maroons would've picked up a solid number of fans in the Ottawa area, and probably in the very northern reaches of New England as well. I would have to imagine that Ottawa would've never received a team in the early 90's had the Maroons been able to corner the English-speaking market around Ottawa.

It's also interesting to think what the impact of the Maroons would've been on the Nordiques - would the combined power of the Habs, Maroons, and Maple Leafs been able to prevent the entry of the Nordiques into the NHL? If the Habs were seen as representing the Quebecois (again, think FC Barcelona), would the Nordiques ever have been able to develop a fanbase in the first place? I tend to think they would have, just because of the geographic distance between Montreal and Quebec City, but it's an interesting hypothetical.

As for the logo? The block M may have been embellished or received some further details over the years (like the Canadiens' and Bruins' logos evolution), but I think the block M would've fundamentally remained the logo. I'm a little more skeptical that black would've ever been added - they probably would've went with maroon pants - but it's certainly possible. If the Cincinnati Reds could incorporate black in the 1950's and 60's, nothing to say that the Maroons couldn't have either.

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

What else could a team called the "Montreal Maroons" do?

Make something creative out of two "M's" since they're the Montreal Maroons, maybe put the typeface in a roundel, add a colour, an outline, anything.  Anything to turn a solitary letter into an actual logo.

9 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

If the Maroons would have survived? Sure. Though Bill 101 would probably have hurt them in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Make something creative out of two "M's" since they're the Montreal Maroons, maybe put the typeface in a roundel, add a colour, an outline, anything.  Anything to turn a solitary letter into an actual logo.

Droppin' it for a third time...

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

If the Maroons would have survived? Sure. Though Bill 101 would probably have hurt them in the long run.

Droppin' it for a third time...

See, that is already worlds better.  They could also have a secondary logo that represents the city by depicting an important landmark or something along those lines.

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

See, that is already worlds better.  They could also have a secondary logo that represents the city by depicting an important landmark or something along those lines.

Well thank you. The civic angle would be the way to go (my decision to go with a roundel version of the city flag), definitely.

I'm curious as to what you think about this rarely used Maroons alternate. It gets around the "just an M" problem, and definitely has a unique shape to it. Clean it up? Maybe add a second colour? Could work. They could even work the M into a Montreal Wanderers-style shield, paying homage to an earlier team that represented the city's Anglophones.

You know there's no new news to share when this thread is talking about the Montreal Maroons. XD Actually, this whole Maroons conversation has been very interesting to read. If the Maroons survived, I think the Nordiques would have never existed. The Maroons could have even moved to Quebec City at some point if they didn't fold. The potential scenarios of what could have happened are very interesting. Props to Hockey Week for that neat what if the Maroons never folded concept series.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You know there's no new news to share when this thread is talking about the Montreal Maroons. XD Actually, this whole Maroons conversation has been very interesting to read. If the Maroons survived, I think the Nordiques would have never existed. The Maroons could have even moved to Quebec City at some point if they didn't fold. The potential scenarios of what could have happened are very interesting. Props to Hockey Week for that neat what if the Maroons never folded concept series.

Except that the Maroons were Montreal's English team, so that wouldn't have work out. It just would have made the market of the Nordiques Smaller and harder to work with... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

Except that the Maroons were Montreal's English team, so that wouldn't have work out. It just would have made the market of the Nordiques Smaller and harder to work with... 

yeah... i came here to post the exact same thing.

the maroons in quebec would be absolutely awkward. they were rivals with the habs because of the french/english rivalry... and then you've got the nordiques who always seemed to represent quebec nationalism, and the whole political aspect of the habs/nords rivalry...

the maroons moving to quebec city would be very awkward.

2 hours ago, ColeJ said:

the maroons in quebec would be absolutely awkward. they were rivals with the habs because of the french/english rivalry... and then you've got the nordiques who always seemed to represent quebec nationalism, and the whole political aspect of the habs/nords rivalry...

Unless they became the Nordiques. XD Now that would be real awkward.

The Maroons never would've moved to Quebec City because the NHL never even looked at Quebec City. It was never on the radar, just like Hartford. The WHA put the Nordiques there, and if they weren't absorbed into the NHL, it never would've happened.

When the WHA put multiple teams in New York, the Islanders were created as competition. At no other point did the NHL look at a WHA location and say "we need to do that, right now!" Though there are some former WHA locations that eventually got teams (Phoenix immediately comes to mind), it was a lot later, and likely had nothing to do with the WHA testing the waters.

So no, there would be no Maroons/Nordiques nightmares. The circumstances of the Nords' existence is far too different for that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

11 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Yeah, there's virtually no chance that the Maroons would've ever moved to Quebec City, for that exact reason. Where I think they would've had an impact on the Nordiques would've been if the political aspect of the Habs/Nords rivalry actually manifested itself (in a different way) in the Habs-Maroons rivalry. That, and the fact that there's ultimately only so many ways to slice the Quebec market, and I'm not sure three Quebec NHL teams would have been viable.

On February 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Well thank you. The civic angle would be the way to go (my decision to go with a roundel version of the city flag), definitely.

I'm curious as to what you think about this rarely used Maroons alternate. It gets around the "just an M" problem, and definitely has a unique shape to it. Clean it up? Maybe add a second colour? Could work. They could even work the M into a Montreal Wanderers-style shield, paying homage to an earlier team that represented the city's Anglophones.

Clean that logo up, put it in the shield you mentioned, and they've got a strong secondary crest.  I still think they could do something powerful with two "M's" as well.

Archived