2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

"The Florida Panthers are named after the Florida panther, an endangered feline whose natural habitat is limited to the Everglades that abut the team's arena. Also, we're Army Strong! pew-pew-pew!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is questioning whether or not the owner can do whatever he wants, it's his team. The question is SHOULD he do it? If the brand is fine as it is why change it? Everyone knows the panthers logos/colors. They've been the same forever now, it's fine the way it is. If you want to put your own spin on things then make a third jersey that way you keep the existing brand and also personalize the teams image to your own liking. And if your jersey is any good it will eventually surpass the regular set in popularity and then you can move forward with a rebrand.

So many teams started out with looks that were outstanding, got butchered during the edge changeover and were inexplicably made worse when the teams overcorrected to fix said problems. Tampa Bay is textbook example and if the speculation is correct, the Panthers will be too. I'm not going to spout the tired "they were born in the 90's therefore they have to look like it" argument though I definitely don't think every team needs to have a look based off original six aesthetics alone. When I first heard the Panthers were going to change, I was excited that maybe their original look would come back... A look based off traditional hockey aesthetics but not restricted to them. One with a perfectly balanced colour palette and striking logos. Sadly it doesn't appear as if this fantastic uniform will ever return and that's a shame. No matter how good this new look has the potential to be, I doubt it will ever top the uniform below...

OHgQ63R.jpg

If I bought a hockey team, I'd make it look however I wanted as soon as the league would let me.

I think everyone on the concepts board would do the same, or else we wouldn't be making these concepts.

you are selling a product, it is more important that your customers like your product then you do, otherwise you will soon be broke

Except the product isn't the jerseys, it's the team. Colorado, Ottawa and Pittsburgh seem to be doing just fine with their looks.

The product isn't the jerseys? $300 jerseys aren't part of the product? Selling jerseys isn't important?

If I bought a hockey team, I'd make it look however I wanted as soon as the league would let me.

I think everyone on the concepts board would do the same, or else we wouldn't be making these concepts.

you are selling a product, it is more important that your customers like your product then you do, otherwise you will soon be broke

Except the product isn't the jerseys, it's the team. Colorado, Ottawa and Pittsburgh seem to be doing just fine with their looks.

The product isn't the jerseys? $300 jerseys aren't part of the product? Selling jerseys isn't important?

People will buy ugly jerseys if they like the team. If the team is good, they will wear whatever is being sold.

Look at the Buffaslug. 10-0 start, something new in blue and gold, ugly as sin jersey and logo...and record sales.

I think very rarely is aesthetics a factor in whether or not a fan buys a jersey. Perhaps it'll sway which jersey, but a fan will buy a jersey if a fan wants to buy a jersey.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

if a team owner who figured out how to make more money than me wants to design his team's logo so it resembles a military logo, I'm not going to get pissed off about it.

Wow, crackerjack invocation of Worthington's Law right here.

Also, if anyone wants to explain why it makes sense for a team in the suburbs of Broward County to start wearing a military-inspired uniform out of freakin' nowhere other than "new owner went to West Point," I'm all ears. This isn't San Diego as Navy town or even Winnipeg as RCAF town. It's not even really a town.

Just imagine the mess if every pro owner started changing important elements of their team branding adding personnal stuff like that. What will happen if he sells the team next year? Another uniform change to get rid of the out of nowhere military style logo?

People will buy ugly jerseys if they like the team. If the team is good, they will wear whatever is being sold.

Look at the Buffaslug. 10-0 start, something new in blue and gold, ugly as sin jersey and logo...and record sales.

I wonder how those new Clippers jerseys are selling...

But it's true. A lot of teams fans don't emphasize on aesthetics as much as us sports logos enthusiasts. Some will buy just because it's what's in style at the moment.

I think very rarely is aesthetics a factor in whether or not a fan buys a jersey. Perhaps it'll sway which jersey, but a fan will buy a jersey if a fan wants to buy a jersey.

They'll buy ugly jerseys if they like the team and if the team is good, you said it yourself. We're talking about the Panthers not the Sabres. The Panthers normally suck and they don't have much fans... The kid in Alberta probably won't ask an ugly Panthers jersey for Christmas if he doesn't care about them and/or if they sucks but he might be asking a good looking jersey from a team that he doesn't care about that also sucks. Teams sure want everyone buying their stuff whether or not they're actual fans...

The kid in Alberta probably won't ask an ugly Panthers jersey for Christmas if he doesn't care about them and/or if they sucks but he might be asking a good looking jersey from a team that he doesn't care about that also sucks. Teams sure want everyone buying their stuff whether or not they're actual fans...

As a kid in Alberta who asked for a white panthers jersey for christmas in 1994, I can attest to this :P.

That's a pretty silly analogy, since a chocolate bar is designed to be a single-use, short-term consumable good and a sports team is an ongoing, patron-supported business.

Many owners may think that they know better what their customers will buy. The number who don't actually care what their customers want is very small indeed. I think you're mistaking the former for the latter.

Is that why Crosby's jersey has been one of the most sold jerseys in the last decade? I think you don't realize how much money teams actually make off of jerseys and merchandise. If they made buckets of cash, then we wouldn't be seeing Colorado, Pittsburgh or Ottawa in their rags. I don't agree with it, I think everyone here would much rather have a good look, but you can't just tell the owner of the team that he has to stick to a list of guidelines for what to do and not to do with HIS product.

They'll buy ugly jerseys if they like the team and if the team is good, you said it yourself. We're talking about the Panthers not the Sabres. The Panthers normally suck and they don't have much fans... The kid in Alberta probably won't ask an ugly Panthers jersey for Christmas if he doesn't care about them and/or if they sucks but he might be asking a good looking jersey from a team that he doesn't care about that also sucks. Teams sure want everyone buying their stuff whether or not they're actual fans...

I sure teams are missing out on the HUGE monopoly of the millions of kids in Alberta. Terrible analogy aside, if the kid was a fan of the team, they'd ask for it nonetheless. When I was a kid, I liked the Buffaslug as well as many other bad designs, so I doubt a bad design is gonna deter any kid from asking for it. That is unless this kid is the Andy Warhol of hockey, then I doubt it.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

That's a pretty silly analogy, since a chocolate bar is designed to be a single-use, short-term consumable good and a sports team is an ongoing, patron-supported business.

Many owners may think that they know better what their customers will buy. The number who don't actually care what their customers want is very small indeed. I think you're mistaking the former for the latter.

Is that why Crosby's jersey has been one of the most sold jerseys in the last decade? I think you don't realize how much money teams actually make off of jerseys and merchandise. If they made buckets of cash, then we wouldn't be seeing Colorado, Pittsburgh or Ottawa in their rags. I don't agree with it, I think everyone here would much rather have a good look, but you can't just tell the owner of the team that he has to stick to a list of guidelines for what to do and not to do with HIS product.

I sure teams are missing out on the HUGE monopoly of the millions of kids in Alberta. Terrible analogy aside, if the kid was a fan of the team, they'd ask for it nonetheless. When I was a kid, I liked the Buffaslug as well as many other bad designs, so I doubt a bad design is gonna deter any kid from asking for it. That is unless this kid is the Andy Warhol of hockey, then I doubt it.

Terrible analogy? Coming from the guy who compared changing the branding of a sport franchise to buying and eating a chocolate bar? Hahahahaha! You even missed the point about people who are not fan of the team buying good looking stuff as Morgo also pointed out. Let's say millions of kids in North America who don't give a damn about the Panthers, this might help you out...

Terrible analogy? Coming from the guy who compared changing the branding of a sport franchise to buying and eating a chocolate bar? Hahahahaha! You even missed the point about people who are not fan of the team buying good looking stuff as Morgo also pointed out. Let's say millions of kids in North America who don't give a damn about the Panthers, this might help you out...

No I got the point, except that very same point is less than 5% of the people who will even be buying the jersey. Don't act so smug.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I can only speak for myself, but the NHL switching home uniforms to dark + lots of ugly jerseys has made my interest in hockey smaller, don't care about the NHL as i once did.

The thing that got me into hockey, was when i was a kid and walked past a store that had the original teal sharks jersey on display in the window, a hockey stick was used as the hanger, looked cool. i had to have it, and then i had to see it in action on TV.

the same thing that got me into it, has put me out of it. Never underestimate the power of sport uniforms.

When I first heard the Panthers were going to change, I was excited that maybe their original look would come back... A look based off traditional hockey aesthetics but not restricted to them. One with a perfectly balanced colour palette and striking logos. Sadly it doesn't appear as if this fantastic uniform will ever return and that's a shame.

If anything the rebrand will give them an excuse to bring it back for a Throwback Night in seven years time. But then again this is the Panthers we're talking about, not exactly a team that knows how to Throwback Night.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I think you don't realize how much money teams actually make off of jerseys and merchandise.

And I don't think you realize that unless the team controls the real estate the merchandise is sold on, it's not their money to make. Buying off nhl.com or Amazon? It's central revenue.

That being said, you're always better off selling cool-looking sweaters than stupid-looking ones. I don't think the Penguins are maximizing their potential.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Speaking as a real live kid from Alberta, the thought has never once crossed my mind to get a Panthers jersey. BUT if they had a nicer set I maybe would. Just saying.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

People get their panties in a bunch over the washington redskins, but noone is gonna have any problems with a military logo and a confederate / rebel looking flag on this jersey ?

Well, a "Florida Panther" is a real thing. So they have that going for them, even if I always prefer city names to state names. And yes, a military-themed logo is profoundly stupid and inappropriate. But we'll wait and see if it's ugly to boot.

As for the Florida flag, what's Confederate about it? It has a St. Andrew's Cross, but that was hardly unique to the Confederacy. I thought it was a reference to the Spanish Empire.

If it was a Confederate symbol, I'd be all for removing it. No state should ever be glorifying or honoring the CSA.

Well, wikipedia says this : The current flag of Florida, adopted by popular referendum in 1900, with minor changes in 1985, contains the St. Andrew's Cross. It is believed that the Cross was added in memory of, and showing support for, the Confederacy.[36][37] The addition of the Cross was proposed by Governor Francis P. Fleming, a former Confederate soldier, who was strongly committed to racial segregation.

LOL, any panther fans here better buy the new jersey asap, before someone get a whiff of this info, and force them to remove the flag from the shoulder

:grin:

Archived