2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Logo discussion aside, the striping configuration and colour distribution of the Ducks new alternate is vastly superior to their main set.  Duck Mask logo too cartoonish?  Fine, put the webbed D on the front and make it the primary.  It's a beautiful uniform and by far the best since the name change.

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

Fine, put the webbed D on the front and make it the primary.

Damn straight.  I love the orange uniforms. If they swapped out the Disney logo for the hockey team logo I would love those jerseys. I do find the blacks they wear dull, but what puts them over the thirds is that cool hockey logo on the front.

That Disney logo keeps reminding me of this putz.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51cf46c6/turbine/la-sp-nhl-draft-ducks-20130630-001/600/600x395

Michael Eisner wrote to the NHL and told them players should take their helmets off while on the bench so that it's easier to show their faces in close-ups. Never mind that this would mean you're using the limited downtime between plays not to show replays but apparently just zoom in on some dude's face while he's drinking water or swearing at some guy.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Michael Eisner wrote to the NHL and told them players should take their helmets off while on the bench so that it's easier to show their faces in close-ups. Never mind that this would mean you're using the limited downtime between plays not to show replays but apparently just zoom in on some dude's face while he's drinking water or swearing at some guy.

Which happens most of the time.  Watch a Caps game and they'll show Ovechkin on the bench at least 20-30 times.

Bare in mind Eisner also wanted to have "Mighty" written on the back of the jerseys in front of the players name. So the nameplate would read "Mighty Kariya" or "Mighty Herbert".
Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and he was talked out of it by management.

Think about that for a second.

You think I'm ribbing you guys but I'm not. I remember reading the article in the Hockey News. (I subscribed to THN back in the 1990s).

Michael Eisner was great for those wacky kind of ideas. He wanted characters from the movie Splash in Splash Mountain. The Disney websites still bear the scars of go.com. He also had a lot of good ideas, and good people around him for the first half of his tenure that sorted through them. Wasn't there some crazy stat somebody put out here that Mighty Ducks' merchandise outsold all other teams' combined? I think they were on to something.

CsAh-BzWAAEnX7y.jpg

Looks like the Sens have updated their banners. Other than improving the Frank Finnigan banner, the rest are awful. I guess it signals that the current primary is here to stay. Honestly, after 25 years they should've just made one banner for all of the original Sens' Cups, and put the =O= on it. 

5 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Yes. Because far more Disney fans bought Mighty Ducks merchandise (mostly people who had no clue what hockey was) than actual sports fans.

People like this

http://i2.wp.com/disneyexaminer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Janet-Esteves-Mickey-Mouse.jpg?w=550

This pic makes me wanna puke then immediately go insane.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

CsAh-BzWAAEnX7y.jpg

Looks like the Sens have updated their banners. Other than improving the Frank Finnigan banner, the rest are awful. I guess it signals that the current primary is here to stay. Honestly, after 25 years they should've just made one banner for all of the original Sens' Cups, and put the =O= on it. 

It's weird seeing the banners from the early 1900's with the logo from 2000's. It just doesn't make any sense when you consider that they're "technically" two different teams. They really should have the "O" logo.

It's Disappointing the Sens primary logo isn't going anywhere when the 2D version, old or new, looks so much better.  Maybe they will at least improve the jerseys and get rid of that panelled mess.

The President's trophy and Eastern Conference Championship banners look atrocious with the chopped off logo.

That Frank Finnigan banner is bad ass. Perhaps the best retired number banner in sports, just because they kept the sweater design for it, and made it look right. 

If they can do that so right, and keep that so original, why can't that idea carry over into the Stanley Cup banners? Look, I don't mind that they say it's the same team with a big hiatus, I really don't, but some kind of historical accuracy and avoiding anachronisms is nice. They're using the O logo already, why don't they use it there?

6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The President's trophy and Eastern Conference Championship banners look atrocious with the chopped off logo.

I think the banners are complete. There's something hiding the view.

I don't understand why conference championship banners are bigger and brighter than Stanley Cup banners...