2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

4 hours ago, dont care said:

This could just be me that thinks this. But I highly doubt ads will keep new people from watching games. If anything  it might keep them around thinking that is just the way it is. They probably have an idea that ads are on the boards already, and it isn't like they aren't already bombarded with ads on a daily basis (over 2000 ads per day for the average person). It will annoy us nerds for awhile but like anything we will eventually accept it. 

I don't mean they won't watch because of ads, I mean they won't be able to watch because of ads.

I never put much stock into this until I roomed with a guy from Cleveland who had never watched hockey before - he really had a hard time following the puck. Now this was 2007 and it was standard def, but he really had a hard time until he learned the flow of the game and where to look. I grew up watching the game, I never had that problem, but outsiders really do have difficulties.

That's why I lament distractions like ads on the boards moving around, and I hope we never see European ice with ads all over the playing surface, because you'll never get a new person to follow the puck again.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I don't mean they won't watch because of ads, I mean they won't be able to watch because of ads.

I never put much stock into this until I roomed with a guy from Cleveland who had never watched hockey before - he really had a hard time following the puck. Now this was 2007 and it was standard def, but he really had a hard time until he learned the flow of the game and where to look. I grew up watching the game, I never had that problem, but outsiders really do have difficulties.

That's why I lament distractions like ads on the boards moving around, and I hope we never see European ice with ads all over the playing surface, because you'll never get a new person to follow the puck again.

AGREED 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

This is, honestly, why I'm in favour of adding jersey ads, on the condition that the on ice ads are removed. I'd rather have a clean playing surface than an ad free jersey

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I looked at the Leafs' new jerseys and immediately thought "Tampa"

That's not a good thing.

Panthers jerseys are gorgeous, and it's the only time I will advocate for white/gold right next to each other. The limited contrast on the chest stripe helps set them apart from Montreal. Other than the stupidity of the army patches and shoulder numbers, it gets a resounding YES from me.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, DiePerske said:

This is, honestly, why I'm in favour of adding jersey ads, on the condition that the on ice ads are removed. I'd rather have a clean playing surface than an ad free jersey

See, I think that's the opposite problem, that's the respect problem. None of the major sports in North America have ads, so if the NHL has ads all over their jerseys, what does that say about the league? Is it worth respecting? Obviously the NBA is trying to change this...but they already have a massive fanbase that the NHL wishes they had. It's a lot easier to do this from a position of strength.

Plus there's team branding and logo recognition. Being able to identify teams is a really important part of sports branding, and if your team's brand is muddied by ads, that isn't good for you.  I always like to play a game with European teams, where you pull up a photo from a game and say "name the team". Sometimes it's ridiculously hard because you have no idea where their logo is on the jersey, if at all. 

Unless they get some ridiculously amazing deal that will change the NHL's revenue structure, the costs of ads simply isn't worth it/

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I wouldn't want to see the way the Panthers have the shoulder numbers and patches arranged spread to many teams, but it's ok for one team. Fingers crossed it doesn't become the next "contrasting nameplate". 

Toronto looks good, certainly not drastically different enough to elicit some of the strong negative responses I've seen. Really like the new crest. After all the flak my favorite team caught it is slightly humorous to see them changing their look closer to the current Lightning in regards to the striping. Will miss the triple striped socks. 

Toronto nailed the new logo and new number font. But their previous jerseys were near perfect. The new waist stripes and socks are a downgrade and a unnecessary change.

But I can see why they changed. They wanted something new to sell.

9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

That is, unfortunately, not how such things work.  You can't ratchet back the ads once they encroach.

1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

IMO, the new Panthers identity is not any better than their original expansion look ---and that usually is the barometer of a successful update. One clear upgrade that would make the original identity much improved--- would be using the Panther head only which would have cleaned up their look.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 8.19.40 AM.png

The uniforms aren't as good, but the logos are a big improvement. I don't know how anyone could prefer the '90s leaping panther over the new one, for instance.

Panthers-leaping-logo-compare.png

It finally looks like a real Florida panther, not an XtReMe!!!! MS Paint drawing that a 10-year-old made on Windows 95.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The uniforms aren't as good, but the logos are a big improvement. I don't know how anyone could prefer the '90s leaping panther over the new one, for instance.

Panthers-leaping-logo-compare.png

It finally looks like a real Florida panther, not an XtReMe!!!! MS Paint drawing that a 10-year-old made on Windows 95.

The shape and all the parts of the original overall stand out more in stronger fashion. It pops more. It's a stronger design. The new one isn't as captivating. But at least they fixed all the wrongs with bolder outlines and simpler elements. If they fixed the new face, it would probably be better.

Archived