2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kings in gold and purple were on the verge of financial collapse and perpetual basement dwellers.

The Kings in black and silver landed the greatest player who ever lived won two Stanley Cups. They emphasised the right colour scheme.

1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

Yeah, it's the colors? And the Lakers NEVER won anything in purple and gold?

What works for the Lakers doesn't work for the Kings. The Blackhawks have had a pretty successful run as of late, but it's not like anyone's calling for the Bears to adopt red, white, and black.

The Kings black and silver change was driven by the LA Raiders, not Gretzky, not the latest Cup winners... It was a money grab pure and simple!!!

And?

I'm not trying to deny any of that. I'm simply saying that the Kings have had their best years in black and silver. That's the colour scheme most associated with success as far as that team goes. The Kings ought to be in black and silver for the same reason the Oilers and Islanders ought to be in royal blue and orange. You wear the colours that best represent the team. And the colours that best represent the team are the colours associated with the team's best years. 

Or is it any coincidence that the teams that always seem to change colour schemes completely have very little past success reference visually? A Cup or World Series win would have probably locked down the definitive Canucks and Padres looks a long time ago.

Aesthetically speaking, the forum blue and gold years produced a better-looking identity but there is zero reason to go back to those colours now.  Which is why I like the subtle recognition in the hanger effect instead.  They tipped the hat to those years without sacrificing what has arguably become an iconic look.

Another Look:

BxqwRLT.png

Why is it suddenly a thing now for NHL teams to use their 50th anniversaries to release horrible alternates? First the Flyers, now the Kings. Surviving and thriving for 50 years in a non-traditional hockey market should be a joyous occasion. So why are the Kings marking this milestone by taking the ice in jerseys that look like the kind of clothes an emo teenager would buy at Hot Topic a decade ago?

As for the argument over which color scheme is the "right" one for the Kings, it's a lot more complicated than just picking black and silver because that's what they wore while hoisting the Cup. Like it or not, all of the Kings' legends, from Dionne, Vachon and Dave Taylor, to Robitaille, to Gretzky, to Rob Blake, to Doughty, Kopitar and Quick, have all worn purple and/or gold in some capacity with the Kings. (Yes, even Gretzky has technically worn those colors as part of the infamous "Burger King" sweaters.) When the Kings first announced that they were dropping purple and returning to just silver and black, there was immediate backlash from the fans. At the time, most fans wanted them to bring back the old-school Forum Blue and gold. And while the Kings did finally win the Stanley Cup in their current gear, they are still objectively hideous uniforms.

I would point to these beauties as the definitive Kings uniforms:

e9sytr6.jpg

RVweoIb.jpg

If they're good enough for Luc and Marcel, they're good enough for me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

45 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Aesthetically speaking, the forum blue and gold years produced a better-looking identity but there is zero reason to go back to those colours now.  Which is why I like the subtle recognition in the hanger effect instead.  They tipped the hat to those years without sacrificing what has arguably become an iconic look.

Another Look:

BxqwRLT.png

Looks better than their regular jerseys. Can someone put the Gretzky era Chevy logo on this jersey, would look pretty good i think !

I'm biased, but I like the new Kings jersey. If a team is going to emphasize gray, the Kings are probably you're best bet. Yes it's a bit drab, but there's only so much to do in black and white. I think this is the best crest to use because of how much black there is. The Chevy logo or the current crown would blend in too much even with a thick outline. Also, the subtle use of gold looks really good especially since it doesn't touch any of the gray.

Then again, I liked their first Stadium Series jersey which has a lot in common.

7 hours ago, Morgo said:

Another Look:

BxqwRLT.png

Oh, I think that's very debatable. I can't even remember what their regular sweaters look like right now. 

But I love the gray jersey.   That could become iconic if they turned it from a one-off to their regular home. 

The Kings can pull off the "drab" look. I wish people would stop referring to it. We get it, Their teams colors are boring but effective. Oh you like the Purple and Gold? Cool, that team sucked and there's a reason they no longer associate themselves with it. 

The yellow helmet is terrible on the purple shoulder design. Ugh

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

If they had just put the standalone crown on the front instead of the awful home plate logo, I'd be fully onboard.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived