2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

... Oh you like the Purple and Gold? Cool, that team sucked and there's a reason they no longer associate themselves with it... 

Speaking of Kings teams that sucked, how about your NBA neighbors to the north, the Sacramento Kings? The KC-Omaha/KC Sacramento Kings were not exactly a dynasty... but that didn't stop them from looking back to look forward... Championships don't always amount to branding your team in the same uniform for eternity nor selecting a drab lifeless look over and over to make yourself look "badass"... It's simply bad branding...

The Kings purple and yellow are a beloved look as are the Whalers, Nordiques, North Stars, teams with NO championships but perennial throwback top sellers because their look is very cool... 

Imagine the Kings holding the Cup in the purple and yellow? WIN. WIN.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 8.14.38 AM.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the grey. I think the black and grey have such a cool-combo look to them. The subtle gold touch on the numbers, logo, and name is nice. The only thing I don't like is that logo. The crown on its own would look so much cooler.

All in all. Not bad. Not great but not bad either.

The Catch of the Day!

Yeah I'm on board with the sentiment about the home plate logo needing to go away. Just use the crown - it's a much more effective logo and visually interesting pleasing logo.

I like the grey. Don't love it, but it works. I really think the Kings could do something awesome with their colours and identity that they never have come close with, but I'm okay with them doing the black grey and silver thing over the godawful purple and yellow combo. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

21 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Highlights of the design:

• Striping along the arms represents two Stanley Cups

• Striping along the bottom matches 1967-68, the first on-ice season in Kings history

• Purple embellishment within the neck containing five Gold Diamonds represents the five decades and pays homage to the club’s historic Purple/Gold years

• Gold added to the Kings primary logo represents 50 years

• Special Font with Gold for player names and numbers

• Gray color is the same as the Dodger Stadium Series

• the brown remains unchanged

I don't mind the Grey, or even the Home plate logo. (It's not as good as the stand-alone crown but...) I actually like the design, but it definitely needs more white. The Grey and Black really blend together...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

... Oh you like the Purple and Gold? Cool, that team sucked and there's a reason they no longer associate themselves with it... 

Replace yellow with gold... and throw it on that amazing Team North America sweater with silver numbers and a gold outline and I'll order on right now... and I hate the Kings...

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 10.05.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 10.01.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 10.12.11 AM.png

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

If they had just put the standalone crown on the front instead of the awful home plate logo, I'd be fully onboard.

I agree that the crown would look better on its own, but I actually prefer the original crown to the current one. The one introduced in the purple/black/silver era is much too angular and busy, plus the hockey sticks are awkwardly shoehorned in. If they recoloured the original in black and silver, and cleaned it up a bit, it'd be a perfect primary.

While I am a big fan of purple and gold, black and silver is a great colour scheme that is underused in the NHL. When the greatest player to ever play the game, plus two Cup teams wear those colours, you probably should stick with them.

Also, am I the only one who loved this logo?

98-02-primary-logo.gif

Here's what interesting about this jersey:

Is that grey dark enough to have contrast against a team wearing "Road Whites" against them? If the league's looking for an opening toward color v. color match-ups, this would be a good place to start, ya know?

They already set a precedent, right?

Image result for LA Kings silver jersey

So people who want these types of match-ups could be in for a treat...I can't see this sweater going against a white...can you?

BxqwRLT.png vs.  Image result for Jets winnipeg white jerseys ????

@DarrenWHaynes so the other thirds are gone now?

6:25 AM - 21 Sep 2016
0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

10 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Some GREAT news (i know , i know... cue the people who think the colors are too "loud") for jersey lovers:

Or something about dressing up in McDonald's colors. It will soon become their home look along with an away to match. It's beautiful and it's how the Flames should look.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I'm sure a couple people will mess the "western-inspired" alternate, but this is great news, and surely means they'll be going back to a simpler design full-time.

Hope so, but it is the Flames we're talking about ;)

Freudian slip on "mess" ? ; )

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

Or something about dressing up in McDonald's colors. It will soon become their home look along with an away to match. It's beautiful and it's how the Flames should look.

We can only hope, jmac.

In a similar "thread," ;), don't you think the Blues should at least dip their toe in the water of going back to royal blue/ yellow/ white...

Don't get me wrong, I truly do like their new sweaters. They may even be one of the best sets in the league, but the classic royal/yellow/white is tough to beat. Not enough teams do that well. There's this fascination in sports with going darker with shades of blue (Hello: Milwaukee Brewers), but the teams slowly end up going back to the classic (from the Mets and Islanders to the Brew Crew and the Oilers). Why change it?

Let the Sabres have navy and yellow if they want it. I honestly don't like what the navy does to the Blues uniforms when the team is home. It's one of the dimmest arenas (yes, light-wise, i mean !), and the jersey starts getting muddied up in the lights. 

How a beautiful color scheme like this has not been claimed for 82 games between the Preds/Blues/Sabres is beyond me. If the Blues don't switch, I guess Buffalo will swoop in... seems like a perfect opportunity for St. Louis to retire the roundel jersey and start with this vintage angle.  Everyone else is doing it, right? 

Archived